Lowering a drag car

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I just put 18" Apex wheels on, 305/35 rear and 275/35 front. This increased the wheel gap and I'd like to close it up a bit. The car is a purpose built drag car and I heard lowering drag cars isn't ideal. What are my options here, can I run an adjustable spring kit or do I need a proper coil setup? Looking for any advice from people in a similar situation.
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
@zrk is your man

DISCUSS!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
If the car is a purpose-built drag car, you should 1000000% not lower it. Not only is it hard on the axles, but you'll lose all the preload on the front shocks and wheelie-time yourself into a smashed front end, or you'll unload the rears and wheel hop or spin.

Ideally, you want the front end to be pretty soft and slightly lifted. HKS coil overs and the max LIFTED setting is ok, but the stock suspension is more than fine to cut a 1.1x to a 1.2x 60'. Add some limiter straps to avoid wheelies.

I'm also a little unsure why you'd want to lower a purpose-built car in the first place.

OP
OP
mkvB58KING

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm also a little unsure why you'd want to lower a purpose-built car in the first place.
I'm not a big fan of the increased wheel gap, that's why I want to explore options. Purpose built might have been a bit over the top, what I meant is that I only drag race it, no lap courses etc. It is my daily street car too.

OP
OP
mkvB58KING

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks, I'll leave it stock height. I can put the $ towards a set of VS double adjustable drag shocks instead.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk