LS3 Twin Turbo M3 and A90 Supra Big Turbo

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
It was nice meeting you out there and talking cars. Thanks for the pic man and yeah the 11.5 wasn't bad for first pass with those conditions.

I have BIG plans when I come back to the strip and would def be interested in coming back out soon and having it prepped correctly for what I'm trying to do. John at MXA does all my dynos and we should be able to set up something for the near future.

Thanks and yeah it's unfortunate that I love modding the Supra so much because the LS3 Twin Turbo project is not getting done as fast as I would like but I should be cranking it pretty soon. That was the plan with the 58's, almost instant spool for an awesome street build but still hit 1000hp.

You should definitely stick a 7675 in there. V8 Roadsters build? That radiator looks familiar. I'm guessing you know Steve and Shandelle?

Ah, that's right -- I forgot you know the MXA guys as well (probably better than I). I'm looking to run a number in my Supra, so I am absolutely in to throw down $$ for a rental, prepped lane, etc.. I can round up a few other worthy cars as well if we need to get a group. I like Rockingham for how laid back it is and the rental I attended last Nov the track was on point all day.

The Miata is indeed a V8 Roadsters conversion along with a bunch of other awesome parts -- truly a check every box build. That said, I can't take any credit for it in its current state; I just picked it up last weekend from the the guy that meticulously built it. It's literally laugh out loud fun to drive, but... always looking to make it even more fun. :thumbsup:

Hope all goes well at Mooresville! Too much of a hike for just an 1/8 for me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
Big turbo is on and trying to get some custom machining done for fittings. Metal will be coming tonight for downpipe and wastegate re-circs. This Full Race manifold is perfect!

I have a ton of welding to do after the metal arrives but I will do my best to try and get it finished before tomorrow.

BorgWarner EFR9280 T4 Twin Scroll
Twin 44mm Wastegates

Supra Turbo1.jpg

Supra Turbo2.JPEG

Supra Turbo3.JPEG

Supra Turbo4.JPG

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Big turbo is on and trying to get some custom machining done for fittings. Metal will be coming tonight for downpipe and wastegate re-circs. This Full Race manifold is perfect!

Twin 44mm Wastegates

Supra Turbo1.jpg

Supra Turbo2.JPEG

Supra Turbo3.JPEG

Supra Turbo4.JPG
Wow... It's beautiful! Best of luck with the ole' dyno.

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Wow... It's beautiful! Best of luck with the ole' dyno.
Thanks man, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I have the dyno reserved for tomorrow but I will have to make miracles happen between now and tomorrow morning for this to be 100% ready for the dyno. If it ends up being ready I will head to FL2K and enter the 2020 Supra Shootout.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
let me know if you need tuning help.

So im looking at the Full race kit. Hard to see from what photos they have posted, but looks like the turbo sits super low. Hows the oil drain look?

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
let me know if you need tuning help.

So im looking at the Full race kit. Hard to see from what photos they have posted, but looks like the turbo sits super low. Hows the oil drain look?
Thanks and will do. I am working on all of the lines/fittings today so I should have some better pictures and information throughout the day. Last night was just to get it mounted to be sure everything is going to clear.

The turbo does sit nice and low which should help keep the IAT's lower but does make it tricky for intake routing since it's 4". I will keep you posted.

EastCoastSupra

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Harley Lowrider S, 2016 Ducati Monster 1200R, 2018 Shelby Raptor, 2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition #1019
Vehicle Showcase

I have a ton of welding to do after the metal arrives but I will do my best to try and get it finished before tomorrow.

Twin 44mm Wastegates

Supra Turbo1.jpg

Supra Turbo2.JPEG

Supra Turbo3.JPEG

Supra Turbo4.JPG
What was the results on the dyno?

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What was the results on the dyno?
I haven't taken it yet. I'm finishing up some CNC parts and working with some companies on a heat exchanger, trans cooler, and radiator upgrade.

I will post a start up video soon. It's going to be a big 4" open downpipe for the startup.:)

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
'04 E55 AMG | '13 BRZ Limited | '18 ZL1 1LE | '20 Supra LE
I haven't taken it yet. I'm finishing up some CNC parts and working with some companies on a heat exchanger, trans cooler, and radiator upgrade.

I will post a start up video soon. It's going to be a big 4" open downpipe for the startup.:)
Fantastic looking build! It's nice to see builds like this already happening (especially close to home).

I will be putting together an NC meet in the next month or so, and would love to see this thing make the trip!

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lots of updates.......

Big turbo on the 2020 Supra fully installed and running with no leaks. She is currently on the dyno and they are working through some torque limiter issues at 4k rpm. I can tell you that she already made 470 ft/lbs at 3700rpm on the EFR9280 without aggressive timing. I am super impressed with the spool on this big turbo. I welded and worked from Thursday to Saturday non-stop (went to bed around 3am each night) to get her finished and drove it to the dyno 45 minutes away.

I did all of the welding myself on a Dynasty 280

2020 Supra CNC Fittings to adapt to AN lines
www.Litheus.com

Custom Water and Oil PTFE Lines
www.bmrs.net

FLUIDYNE Upgraded Heat Exchanger
www.fluidyne.com

Tubing to build wastegate dumps
www.aceraceparts.com

Supra Big Turbo1.JPG

Supra Big Turbo2.JPG

Supra Big Turbo3.jpg

Supra Big Turbo4.jpg

Supra Big Turbo5.jpg

Supra Big Turbo6.jpg

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
Lots of updates.......

Big turbo on the 2020 Supra fully installed and running with no leaks. She is currently on the dyno and they are working through some torque limiter issues at 4k rpm. I can tell you that she already made 470 ft/lbs at 3700rpm on the EFR9280 without aggressive timing. I am super impressed with the spool on this big turbo. I welded and worked from Thursday to Saturday non-stop (went to bed around 3am each night) to get her finished and drove it to the dyno 45 minutes away.

I did all of the welding myself on a Dynasty 280
Great looking build! A couple questions for you:

1) Are the guys at CES doing the tuning, and what software are you using?

2) Did you make the radiator yourself?

3) It looks like your SS welds have good gas coverage, but maybe you are doing a series of effectively tack welds to go for the stacked dimes look? Does your machine have pulse settings you can play with? The pulse would eliminate those stress risers in the middle of each 'tack' that can be seen in the close up pics. I don't mean this negatively, just some feedback based on some stuff I've been playing around with myself. My machine doesn't have pulse capability, and when I was working on my weld appearance I was seeing similar stress risers from cooling the weld pool too much each dab. Hope this helps, and keep on rockin' the sweet fab work!

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great looking build! A couple questions for you:

1) Are the guys at CES doing the tuning, and what software are you using?

2) Did you make the radiator yourself?

3) It looks like your SS welds have good gas coverage, but maybe you are doing a series of effectively tack welds to go for the stacked dimes look? Does your machine have pulse settings you can play with? The pulse would eliminate those stress risers in the middle of each 'tack' that can be seen in the close up pics. I don't mean this negatively, just some feedback based on some stuff I've been playing around with myself. My machine doesn't have pulse capability, and when I was working on my weld appearance I was seeing similar stress risers from cooling the weld pool too much each dab. Hope this helps, and keep on rockin' the sweet fab work!
Thanks man. I'm doing all of this in a small 2 car garage with hand tools. I don't have a fancy shop and a lift so it does make it a little bit sweeter when this is all done.

1. Yes I'm using MHD software for my tuning and CES Motorsports is actually making the adjustments with having the MHD guys for support. We have a lot of people behind the scenes working hard to make this happen.

2. Yes I designed the production piece and just built one for myself while we were at it. Production pieces should be available soon. Laser cut sheet metal is getting worked on now.

3. I was back purging and using Furick cups so gas coverage was not an issue. I fully understand the weld properties and I wanted this look as it is the part that most people will see. I learned to pulse with my foot first and don't use the automatic pulse. My downpipe was pulsed with my foot and doesn't have the stress risers but I wanted a different look for my wastegate dumps. The welds on the dumps are not "tacks" and have full penetration though, fully fused without filler and no sugaring on the backside either. No offense taken so no worries there.

NotSoJDM

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GarageTherapyNC.com
Car(s)
Thanks man. I'm doing all of this in a small 2 car garage with hand tools. I don't have a fancy shop and a lift so it does make it a little bit sweeter when this is all done.

2. Yes I designed the production piece and just built one for myself while we were at it. Production pieces should be available soon. Laser cut sheet metal is getting worked on now.
Excellent, looking forward to the product release!

OP
OP
LS3Twins

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

A quick little dyno pull to 4k rpm sound clip so you can hear the big turbo. More coming soon!

No I don't have numbers yet but will post them as soon as I have them. The DME is trying to prevent the boost at 4k and they are working through it.

Last edited: