Magnetic Paddle Shifter Mod

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Hey thanks! The only problem I might run into is figuring out which plug bmw uses for the paddle modules. For the time being ill have to chop the connector off the paddle module and solder them onto the wires from the Asher racing paddles. If anyone can help me identify the plugs and where to purchase them I'll be forever grateful lol
Can you take some up close pictures from multiple angles? I can try to hunt them down, no promises though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
Can you take some up close pictures from multiple angles? I can try to hunt them down, no promises though.
Definitely! Once I open up my wheel and install these I'll send pics. Thanks!

OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ladies and gentlefish, the PCBs have arrived! I'll hopefully get to soldering and installing them soon. I'll keep you all updated.

Along with that I have 2 other small updates.

1. I have a few bmw master tech friends who are looking into if and where I can buy the paddle module connector so that in the future, (if it works) the kit will be completely plug and play! We're not sure yet but it's a possibility.

2. I realized Eco-lap studio actually has an email listed in his YouTube profile, so I reached out to him regarding the prospects of selling these as a kit.

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you would be interested in carbon versions of these paddles?

Thanks for the support! 🙂

20220802_190942.jpg

20220802_191424.jpg

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
If it helps me get to the top of a waiting list for the production product, I’m 99% sure they’re bmw speaker connectors, same as what’s used in the 3rd brake light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1332735372...dEViatCRgO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2A08567E-6309-4E9E-B038-CB065FFB9961.jpeg

Wrt paddle options, I’d like something in polymer so won’t get too hot for summer track days, and won’t melt in the sun. Budget ABS print @100% infill is more than enough.

Will ask that the screw mount for the adapter is a metal to metal connection, e.g. a metal nut inlayed into the adapter. Having one strip out of the print from more force being applied there vs stock would be kinda lame.

DM me if you need a pair state side, happy to trade back scratches here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If it helps me get to the top of a waiting list for the production product, I’m 99% sure they’re bmw speaker connectors, same as what’s used in the 3rd brake light.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1332735372...dEViatCRgO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2A08567E-6309-4E9E-B038-CB065FFB9961.jpeg

Wrt paddle options, I’d like something in polymer so won’t get too hot for summer track days, and won’t melt in the sun. Budget ABS print @100% infill is more than enough.

Will ask that the screw mount for the adapter is a metal to metal connection, e.g. a metal nut inlayed into the adapter. Having one strip out of the print from more force being applied there vs stock would be kinda lame.

DM me if you need a pair state side, happy to trade back scratches here.
Ahh! I think you're right on the money there. I went a step further and found the manufacturer (kingkong connector) and sent an email asking for a quote on a small batch of 20-50. The link you sent is definitely it but for this kit I'd need 2 male connectors and thst has one male, 2 female. It's cheap enough that I'll order a couple to have on hand but if I can get a bulk order for cheaper then that would be even better.

Your comment on the screw reminded me I wanted to revisit the mounting! An intended nut would work, however what might prove better is a nutsert melted into the plastic. I'll definitely take a look into it.

Thanks for the research and suggestion Yes it will definitely help in terms of your place in line lmao.

The next update probably won't be for a week or so since I'll be away til the 11th. But in the meantime I'll order those connectors and hopefully get a response from Eco-Lap.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20220802-220110_Chrome.jpg

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
Offically they’re TE Connectivity connectors, but the bootleg versions will work fine, just a bit tight.

Callabrator

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Refraction Blue A91 Edition Supra
Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you would be interested in carbon versions of these paddles?
I'd def be interested if they had the little angle that Eco-lap put into his paddles. It makes them nice and parallel with the face of the wheel.
1659561451219.png

1659561356737.png

OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Offically they’re TE Connectivity connectors, but the bootleg versions will work fine, just a bit tight.
If you know what TE connector it is specifically that would be a big help. I've been searching through their catalog but can't seem to find it. I sent an email to kingkong connector about buying a batch but haven't heard back.

OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'd def be interested if they had the little angle that Eco-lap put into his paddles. It makes them nice and parallel with the face of the wheel.
1659561451219.png

1659561356737.png
I think that's definitely a possibility, I am talking with another person on the mk5 forums about producing these so I can get back to you on that. I can definitely print a set with an angled bit however I'd want to test it prior to selling any kits. Right now I have the capabilities to print PETG and some nylon filaments.

OP
OP
rwense

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also as a small update, I received a batch of m3 heat embedded nuts (basically nutserts that can be melted into prints) to embed into the paddle module mounting plate and they seem to work quite well! Once I get back from visiting family I'll try out a few different thicknesses to play around with spacing the paddles farther from the wheel.

I'm also still working on getting in contact with Eco-Lap. I've emailed him, commented on multiple YouTube videos, and sent him a few DMs on insta and still haven't got a reply back. So if someone can get me on contact with him maybe that'll bump you up on the list haha.