Manuel Supra shifting jerky?

Phtommie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mini van
Hello all, I will admit that I’m new to a Manuel gear box, but is the jerkiness starting in first going to second normal? It seems the only way I can get a smooth shift is if I release the clutch really really slowly at low rpm starting in first and going to second. I have friends that say shifting should be as smooth as driving an automatic if you are doing it correctly, but there is not a time I can say it’s anywhere as smooth. I want to see if the jerkiness is a feature of this Manuel Supra or I need to improve my shifting?. Thanks
Sponsored

jrof

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 Premium MT
I should be receiving my MT Supra this week so I can’t comment just yet if it is just something to get used to, but i’ve been dailying manual cars for a few years and usually the first few thousand miles require a definite finesse to shift smoothly. In my experience, the transmission should smoothen out over time…but again the Supra might just be a bit stiffer in general

tub54500

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 MT
yeah you just need to get better at shifting lol sometime revving it higher to like 3k in first gear helps with jerkiness when shifting into second

RyanA90

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
‘23 Supra A91-MT Burnout
A small learning curve, you’ll figure it out and start shifting like butter! Keep putting in those smiles per gallon.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I was also a little jerky first 1/2nd on my MT, you have to be a little slower and smoother then some others cars im
Used too on the 1-2 shift But like others said try shifting at a little higher rpm, it allows you to shift quicker, but when shifting below 3k your at low enough speeds that’s it’s easy enough to be a little slower and just release the clutch a little slower then you would going into 3/4/5/6

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Give it a couple days, you will get used to it. :headbang:

6mtsoup

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
yea I’ve been adjusting to it as well. It seems like 1-2 just has super long hang time before it drops to the right rpm’s if you shift around 3k+

Carl - Driveway Labs

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 Ascent Touring
Unless of course someone drives a Manuel. It's the year 2022/3, it's all good. 😬
I'd rather ride a Manuel than drive one, everyone has a preference I guess 🤷🏿‍♂️

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
By default, the Supra has rev-matched upshifts (which are much more subtle than rev-matched downshifts). Some people classify it as weird shifting or even rev hang, but it's not. During an upshift, if you watch the tach, you'll see RPM quickly drop to the appropriate point for the next gear (at the current speed) and hold there, waiting for you to shift. If you do nothing, the RPM hold will timeout and RPMs will drop further.

The main caveat is that you need to rev high enough before shifting to allow the RPM to drop and hold at the correct point for the next gear. And then you need to engage the next gear and release the clutch in time to take advantage of the rev-match. Even when shifting leisurely, this should not be an issue, but I would pay attention to the tach during the next 1-2 shift and watch what the engine is doing. In fact, it might make sense to rev to about 5K in 1st, then press in the clutch, go into 2nd, and watch the tach to understand the rev-match behavior without engaging the clutch, just to learn about the behavior. Once you understand what the engine is trying to help you do, take advantage of it. When you engage second within the rev-match window where the gear ratio, RPM, and road speed all match, it should result in seamless shifting.
Sponsored