MKIV vs MKV Supra Video Review - Is the A90 a Worthy Successor to the A80?

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Love how guys on sf are already saying that Toyota paid for everything so of course everyone’s gunna have reviews saying how great it is...:coffee:
Sponsored

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
hmmm, better fix that one :p 7000rpm limiter yeah?

in 'sport' and 'normal' modes, does it remember which mode you were in once the car is turned off?

also - stop/start - is this on every time you start the car?

some reviewers note a bit of a sharp change in manual mode - i like this - what did you think?

Thanks for answering all of my curiosities!
7000rpm redline, yup!

Auto Start/Stop commits to memory, yes. But I don't remember about the sport mode. Didn't turn the cars off much to be fair haha, just kept driving.

Yeah, the trans definitely bangs off the shifts in the manual mode, it is very well tuned.

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Love how guys on sf are already saying that Toyota paid for everything so of course everyone’s gunna have reviews saying how great it is...:coffee:
Literally every automotive manufacturer event is paid for lol.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
I think I already know the answer to this but how does the downshift blue compare to rsp lol

Viselord

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru BRZ
Great review @Guff . Always enjoy your story telling.

You mentioned the 400 PS in late development. Was there any mention or talk of the manual?

ifew552

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q50
2+ years lurker, first time poster. As a middle aged man, nothing really excites me these days. However, I had that tingly feeling today watching and reading reviews. Last time I had this feeling, I think I ran into a midget shemale lmao

Joking aside, what about android auto? I have no doubt I will be pulling the trigger for 2021 (possible 2022) year model but I really wish android auto is available. Thank you @Guff

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
2+ years lurker, first time poster. As a middle aged man, nothing really excites me these days. However, I had that tingly feeling today watching and reading reviews. Last time I had this feeling, I think I ran into a midget shemale lmao

Joking aside, what about android auto? I have no doubt I will be pulling the trigger for 2021 (possible 2022) year model but I really wish android auto is available. Thank you @Guff
I couldn't get any solid answer about Android Auto. As an android user myself, I feel your pain!

Great review @Guff . Always enjoy your story telling.

You mentioned the 400 PS in late development. Was there any mention or talk of the manual?
Tada San said that manual is still "under consideration", and then would always default to, "but that auto is great right?"

While I do admit, the auto is really good, I still want a manual and we were sure to make that clear. Still no real info on it though.

And thank you for the kind words!

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Anything on interior colors? Red only for launch edition, or will tan and red be offered next year and proceeding years for premium models?

Was the sound system too bass heavy? Were the mids and highs clear? What would you rate the audio out of 10?

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
Nice review! I defintely like the all black and red mirror caps... looks like a sharp car

OP
OP
Guff

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
So a few questions, does the car have an oil temp gauge, how quickly does it warm up from being totally cold, is the seat angled for side impact protection, and lastly, and most importantly, will you buy or even consider one?
No oil temp gauge that I saw, but it could have been in the performance gauges menu in iDrive, I didn't check. Cluster has water temp and fuel on either side.

The car warmed up at a pretty normal rate as far as I could tell, nothing out of the ordinary.

The seat felt pretty straight, no angling as far as I could tell. The side sill is huge in this car so I think that takes care of side impact strength.

I would 100% consider buying one, and am looking at what organs I need to sell to be able to afford one. I do have concerns about being an early adopter, because there always are issues, but this is a car that presents an exciting opportunity to lay the foundation for the aftermarket if I get into a car out the gate. I know plenty of people with shops who want to start making parts for this bad boy.

What was your impression of the HUD? Useful? Gimmick? Not necessary?
The HUD is very useful in a practical sense. Current Speed and speed limit is displayed and that is very helpful as this car does get to extra-legal speeds very quickly. I don't think it has a shift indicator or anything in it, but maybe I just didn't notice. It's a pretty small HUD, very unobtrusive.
Sponsored