OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Hopefully last update here -- Motiv had us replace the box off the shelf and is receiving the seemingly non-functional box for diagnostics. Car is running great now. I'm assuming I won't hear the results of those diagnostics unfortunately. Interestingly, the first question they asked was "what is the issue?" and the second was "built motor?" -- to me it sounds like the built motor question is actually about built motors generating more heat.

Other side note for people, we got lucky I think because the box was never registered for warranty by Visconti or myself (not sure whose responsibility that would have been) but Motiv is taking care of it anyway. Be sure to register your units within the first 30d :)

They also suggested de-pinning the new unit and running it into the cabin to be a little more heat-safe if I'm feeling antsy about it. I'm opting against that as the problem seems super rare. I might grab a little heat blanket to wrap around it though haha.

Hope these updates end up helping someone else in the future -- but for now I'm all good to go it seems.
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Hopefully last update here -- Motiv had us replace the box off the shelf and is receiving the seemingly non-functional box for diagnostics. Car is running great now. I'm assuming I won't hear the results of those diagnostics unfortunately. Interestingly, the first question they asked was "what is the issue?" and the second was "built motor?" -- to me it sounds like the built motor question is actually about built motors generating more heat.

Other side note for people, we got lucky I think because the box was never registered for warranty by Visconti or myself (not sure whose responsibility that would have been) but Motiv is taking care of it anyway. Be sure to register your units within the first 30d :)

They also suggested de-pinning the new unit and running it into the cabin to be a little more heat-safe if I'm feeling antsy about it. I'm opting against that as the problem seems super rare. I might grab a little heat blanket to wrap around it though haha.

Hope these updates end up helping someone else in the future -- but for now I'm all good to go it seems.
Your reflex isn't in the cabin?

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
No it is in that corner pocket where some folks put meth tanks

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
No it is in that corner pocket where some folks put meth tanks
Always wondered about that. Isn't it bad to place it there cuz u know fuel and heat don't do so well? By heat I mean heat from the engine bay overall.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
It sounds like it is pretty common to hold it there, lots of people around here doing that and have held up for a long time. But after this convo and a few others I’ve decided I’m gonna move it into the cabin. Better safe than sorry in case the heat really is the issue.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
I don’t feel like that much heat makes it into that little cubby, which is why it is okay for an insulated meth tank to be in there. But I’ve never measured it or seen measurements of it.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
If I ever ditch my meth tank then I’d store it all there too

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Finally got the car back today. Swapped Reflex box relocating the new one into the cabin and everything had tested fine, gave it a decent amount of drive time. So got the trans done Pure Stg1, a Pure 800, and got PI added. Drove home (55min drive) no problem.

This evening, same crankshaft sensor signal missing code, limp mode, etc. Problem not resolved. A very sad day. Not sure where to look next, but back to the shop it goes

Interestingly it also threw 160504 and 16050A which are crankcase vent heater stuff, but my understanding is that is from the turbo install and is just a tune thing.

If anyone has extra ideas I’m all ears. Probably going to swap battery as the next easiest shot in the dark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Another update, trying to be a good citizen for any future people with trouble.

Picking up the car tomorrow, diagnosis was two fuses that weren’t visibly blown but weren’t getting reliable power through them — main harness and power to reflex. Replaced and things look good. This feels like the closest to a tangible solution considering how directly related those could be to a crankshaft sensor signal but I thought fuses were basically on/off so I’m still a little bit anxious. Maybe during install or other work there was a short or something that damaged those fuses? Kinda gut checking with anyone here that might know. My built up anxiety on this car tells me that something damaged those and they’ll just get damaged again, but maybe I’m just worrying. Will post back someday in the future with confirmation or rejection of this solution.

Last edited:

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Thanks for your continued updates on this. I hope those fuses were the cause for your sake!

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Got some extra info. The harness fuse was cracked which could explain why it would only drop signal when the temperature changed. So just bad quality on that fuse plus probably the Utah winter causing the actual crack. That possible was related to reflex power fuse blowing, and that one was hard blown. Either way, seems like a reasonable enough explanation and the best answer yet. The fact it was cracked and not just being inconsistent for no reason helps explain a bunch of my concerns.

So check those fuses specifically on the harness for cracks if anything seems intermittently funky electrically and hopefully this thread dies a nice death.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Drove it for three total hours around town and then an hour long freeway trip and another hour after that of stop and go, all 95deg+ weather. Seems fixed… for now at least. Thanks y’all who pitched in on the thread. I’m carrying a spare fuse with me in the car now just in case it goes again haha

NYCDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR
Im on a similar setup as OP (Visconti harness with reflex although mines been in the cabin) have had it for ~1.5 years now with no issues.

Just only got only the 216119 code so not sure if the issue is related or not. Google lead me here so adding to the thread will check the fuses and plugs of the harness shortly.

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Another update, trying to be a good citizen for any future people with trouble.

Picking up the car tomorrow, diagnosis was two fuses that weren’t visibly blown but weren’t getting reliable power through them — main harness and power to reflex. Replaced and things look good. This feels like the closest to a tangible solution considering how directly related those could be to a crankshaft sensor signal but I thought fuses were basically on/off so I’m still a little bit anxious. Maybe during install or other work there was a short or something that damaged those fuses? Kinda gut checking with anyone here that might know. My built up anxiety on this car tells me that something damaged those and they’ll just get damaged again, but maybe I’m just worrying. Will post back someday in the future with confirmation or rejection of this solution.
Hi, hope you’re able to respond but is the main harness a part of the reflex kit or engine? I have the same code for a crankcase leak but using JB4 on e30. Already checked everything like intake and lines.
Sponsored

Last edited: