dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Advice, input, thoughts?

Quick facts:

-1950 mile A91 edition
-Oil changed at 1250, seemed to drain about 6qts, usual light break in glitter, decent amount of copper material on the drain plug. Mobile-1 0w20 added.
-Titan Motorsports catless downpipe and titanium exhaust (downstream o2 spacer, so occassionally getting o2 sensor heat CEL)
-JB4 with EWG
-MST intake

A couple weeks ago I tested speed against my Supercharged S2000, and lost ever so slightly. Therefore I decided to put in e30 and try out JB4 Map 5. First pull felt good, got to the stop light, passenger asked if the car was on fire. Smoke out the exhaust like crazy.

No smoke when idling later that morning
, but any light accel from a stop or low speed and I get a nice cloud of dark gray smoke, it's actually kind of embarrassing. Hard to tell for sure if it's oily smell, since the catless DP is so pungent (it's a stronger smell than my supercharged catless S2000). Switched back to Map 3... slightly less frequent smoke.

Emptied tank and refilled with 93
... one hint of smoke after 500 miles of testing, problem effectively gone. Zero other signs of issues. 700 miles and the oil measurement is still where it was right after the oil change.

A couple days ago... decided to try e30 again on Map 3... smoking quite a bit when leaving a light. This is in 50* weather and it lingers, so it's probably not vapor.

I am new to this ethanol thing, so this could all be normal... ? Zero other signs of issues. JB4 logs were apparently clean according to Terry.

TLDR: Smoke from exhaust running e30 on JB4 (and a little with 93 as well), catless downpipe and other bolt ons. No obvious oil consumption or other symptoms, but smoke lingers in clouds at traffic lights.

Any ideas? If it was constant I'd feel like that's 100% a turbo seal gone (yay, 1200 mile BMW motor), but it's not a constant thing. Inside of my beautiful new exhaust looks like the inside of a chimney, covered in soot, not sure if that's normal.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
sounds like the car is running rich. impossible to tell without seeing logs though.

Cruzinbill

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Supra
How are you ensuring you're actually running E30 and not a higher concentration?

OP
OP

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How are you ensuring you're actually running E30 and not a higher concentration?
I did the math using an e85 calculator. Going to install my flex fuel sensor shortly to verify though.

I've sent Terry my latest logs and he's seeing some boost adjustments on map 4. Drove the car today for about 30 abusive miles and no smoke... So confusing.

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
I did the math using an e85 calculator. Going to install my flex fuel sensor shortly to verify though.

I've sent Terry my latest logs and he's seeing some boost adjustments on map 4. Drove the car today for about 30 abusive miles and no smoke... So confusing.
You have to test the E85 at the pump. Ethanol levels vary station to station and month to month. For all you know, the pure e85 could be e60.

Cruzinbill

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Supra
You have to test the E85 at the pump. Ethanol levels vary station to station and month to month. For all you know, the pure e85 could be e60.
Correct; also 93 can vary from 1-10ish percent as well which has to be accounted for with the amount found in the e85.

OP
OP

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I calculated using an e85 calculator app and targeted between e30 and e40. 4.5 gallons of e85 added, so unless it was less than e70 I was between e30 and e40.

OP
OP

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Installed the fuel it kit tonight and verified I'm at e42. Car ran ok on a few pulls during the evening. Colder weather came in (28°F) and now it will not accelerate during WOT.

This is my life:

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Installed the fuel it kit tonight and verified I'm at e42. Car ran ok on a few pulls during the evening. Colder weather came in (28°F) and now it will not accelerate during WOT.

This is my life:

Is the ECU locked? Whats preventing you from going the EcuTek route so that you don't have these problems?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA