Most revealing 2020 Supra prototype spy pics yet, Spotted 3/19/18!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Myers

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB E350e, MB V250, (no longer: BMW 430D xDrive)
....the Supra will not be successful with a straight-up BMW drivetrain.
You are completely wrong! I will spend a box of (real) beer on it.

Im sure that Toyota watched the market with attention before they decided to go with BMW. Of course here and there are a few guys that won’t buy the car with only two seats and/or with a BMW Engine/drivetrain. But those guys are just a little percentage of all potential buyers.

Let’s talk about it again one year after it’s release. ;)
Sponsored

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
Looking at the pictures more closely, it appears as though this car might also be available with a Targa Top.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the pictures more closely, it appears as though this car might also be available with a Targa Top.
Only thing they screwed up in the mkiv was the Targa top.. car drove like crap with the top off. That would be the last straw in screwing this thing up. Lol

cranker

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2
Hey~guys, I'm new here.
Just want to reply to certain Ppl's weird logic so I registered.
Can't understand Why certain Ppl set lots of "rules" to determine
whether MKV is a new legend or not, and predicted that MKV won't be success?
========================
Someone keep saying that there's no Japanese flavor (spirit. root...whatever they call it) in this car because MKV use BMW powertrain -> ppl won't buy this -> so MKV won't be success .

Besides TOYOTA's own unrevealed powertrain(Hybrid, NA, turbo), even if MKV is equipped with BMW's powertrain, MKV still have Japanese flavor, and I'll tell you why!
========================
Q1:
What consumers really want?

A1:
Market survey + Most of potential buyers' requirement =
1. Good looking exterior + interior
2. Nice performance potential (Engine, Transmission, Rigidity, Handling, Dynamics...)
3. Reliability
4. Affordability
5. Safety
If MKV could give the entire above, why it shouldn’t be success?
Why set limitations like there needs to be a TOYOTA strait six?
If TOYOTA give a dedicated strait six to MKV then that would be a surprise, but if they don't, there's also no need to ask for one.
======================
Q2:
Other than TOYOTA's own powertrain, why MKV is still unique even if it has BMW's straight six and perhaps DCT?

A2:
1.Will MacBook lose its roots because it uses Intel's CPU?
Will BMW, Volvo, VW lose its roots cuz they use AISIN transmissions (TOYOTA-related Company)?
Will Benz lose its roots because they share the engine technology with Nissan & Renault?
Will Tesla lose its roots because it uses Panasonic's power module?

!!!NO THEY WON'T!!!

A product/technology could be greatly fine-tuned/optimized according to various demands, thus creating various flavors at the same time caters to buyers' needs. This kind of modification/re-engineering process is ubiquitous in the industry.
Sales numbers had proven that consumers accept these cooperative products decently!

2.Tada-san claimed in the interview that during the development process, the team has taken reliability as an important factor into account along with other TOYOTA's brand spirit. So we know that even MKV use the BMW powertrain, TOYOTA will make it different not only on reliability but also on the whole driving experience. The different characteristic is engineeringly doable, there are loads of parameters, materials, manufacturing methods, digital control methods, etc. that are changeable(these will not be seen on the spec.), so there's no need to spread panic about this.

3.It's MORE than just a take-over from BMW. How do you think TOYOTA would inject their own spirit (more than reliability) without re-engineering anything from BMW?

4.For those still don't want to taste Japanese-re-engineered German flavor, we knew it and plz try to settle your own-self down and stop spreading impractical worries.
=======================
Q3:
Will MKV be largely the same as Z4?(Is MKV a hardtop Z4?)

A3:
1.As Tada-san said, MKV's co-development process is different from everyone's thought. TOYOTA & BMW draw their own sketches respectively then to seek the common grounds between MKV & Z4 that could be cooperated instead of creating differences on a largely pre-determined common ground, and this is all due to the huge philosophy difference between the two companies.

2.As Tada-san said, MKV is pure sportscar-oriented while Z4 has relatively not-so-sport characteristics, and he guaranteed that MKV & Z4 will have "different" driving dynamics.

So for those who concern about whether this car will have its own flavor, definitely "YES".

========Conclusion========
Most of the consumers will appreciate having the chance to enjoy the best of both worlds at the same time in the same car.

No one's gonna lose its own roots, Not Apple, Not Benz, Not Tesla, and Not Supra!

Cuz this is how the Japanese team will prove to the world that Supra MKV is indeed a Unique New Legend.

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Based on rumors and your points, the car may have the spirit of a Supra but it will not have the heart of a Supra. Going back to the Supra MKIII A70 + 1JZ / MKIV A80 + 2JZ / MKV A90 + 3JZ???

Some people are ok with it having a BMW engine just like some are ok with a paying a $10k+ premium to be the first few to own a new car. Not everyone is willing to compromise, especially a lot of hard loving Toyota fans with past Supra's. Doesn't mean the car won't be a badass car but doesn't mean the car will sell long term either. Look at the last gen Viper, a great car for the money but it wasn't making sales. We'll see but with the rumors it seems like a lot of what is expected from a Supra was missed: lack of a manual, 2+2, no Toyota engine, rumors of a high price tag despite a lot of internal compromise. I really think a new name was a better decision for them to go with although who doesn't want the Supra back right?!? Personally I don't think a name like the Supra should have any compromise :headbang:.

Last edited:

Sunspot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like big rear ends and I cannot lie.
Based on rumors and your points, the car may have the spirit of a Supra but it will not have the heart of a Supra. Going back to the Supra MKIII A70 + 1JZ / MKIV A80 + 2JZ / MKV A90 + 3JZ???

Some people are ok with it having a BMW engine just like some are ok with a paying a $10k+ premium to be the first few to own a new car. Not everyone is willing to compromise, especially a lot of hard loving Toyota fans with past Supra's. Doesn't mean the car won't be a badass car but doesn't mean the car will sell long term either. Look at the last gen Viper, a great car for the money but it wasn't making sales. We'll see but with the rumors it seems like a lot of what is expected from a Supra was missed: lack of a manual, 2+2, no Toyota engine, rumors of a high price tag despite a lot of internal compromise. I really think a new name was a better decision for them to go with although who doesn't want the Supra back right?!? Personally I don't think a name like the Supra should have any compromise :headbang:.

There was a pol a long time ago titled "should we be calling it a Supra?"..think its gone now.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I suspect the motor may have a new designation given the tech involved, and I'd also expect Toyota to have their own engine nomenclature as we saw with the Subaru FA20/Toyota 4U-GSE.

I don't think they would dream of naming it 3JZ, but they did name the model Supra and Tada has been pushing the A90 chassis code lol...

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I suspect the motor may have a new designation given the tech involved, and I'd also expect Toyota to have their own engine nomenclature as we saw with the Subaru FA20/Toyota 4U-GSE.

I don't think they would dream of naming it 3JZ, but they did name the model Supra and Tada has been pushing the A90 chassis code lol...
Slow day on the project you working on?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
haha more or less :)
Just curious,

The RCf is heading into their 5th yer and haven't gotten a refresh. It will be 2018 and Supra is due in 2019.

Will they just axe the RC F to focus on the Supra to have no internal competition?

I only suggest this cause I recall you saying Lexus is revising their products. Wouldn't they re-introduce the RC with a renewed focus and hundreds of pounds lighter?

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As far as I'm aware, the RC will continue a bit longer (probably another 2 years +/-) before receiving a new chassis/power plant etc.

Nothing real out of the ordinary.

I also believe we may see a performance variant of the V35A-FTS powering the car at that time.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
As far as I'm aware, the RC will continue a bit longer (probably another 2 years +/-) before receiving a new chassis/power plant etc.

Nothing real out of the ordinary.

I also believe we may see a performance variant of the V35A-FTS at that time :D
The fifth-generation Lexus LS will debut the V35A-FTS twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 developed specifically for the new flagship.

The new engine puts out 416 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque, and represents a major upgrade over the outgoing 4.6L V8 of the current model. In terms of raw information, here’s the point form:

Oh jesus.

I figured Lexus would do something to separate the competition. If tuned right, could push out 525+ and really make an effort to be that bigger brother that Lexus is becoming.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
there will always be kind of an odd relationship there as Lexus cant be too sporty given its overall lineup and user base. Its more or less confined to producing luxury cars first and then adding sporty features etc. (see Lexus F)

the exception to this is the LFA, but that car was a very different project in nearly every way and was also an L-Finesse car from the ground up; however, it still maintained most of the tenants of the Lexus image as well IMO.

so, while the Supra and RC may compete at some level (and of course I've commented on this too), ultimately they are different enough in overall approach to not encroach too much on sales. I feel the Z4 would really be the car that would compete with the Lexus.

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
More spy shots.

toyota-supra-2017-c174101052018104430_1.jpg

toyota-supra-2017-c174101052018104430_2.jpg

toyota-supra-2017-c174101052018104430_3.jpg

toyota-supra-2017-c174101052018104430_4.jpg

toyota-supra-2017-c174101052018104430_5.jpg