MST Intake install Issue and General intake question.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
So I purchased an MST Intake system from Speedindustry and when it arrived the kit was missing the two screws for the MAF sensor. I reused the factory screws and of course this caused cross threading and one of the screw heads broke off 100% flat with the surface of the MAT sensor bracket. Over the weekend I took a tap and die set and tried everything I could to extract that screw and it wouldn't work. I ended up having to drill the screw out straight down with a drill bit. In the process I ended up drilling down through the pipe, creating a hole that goes all the way from the MAF mounting surface and into the air pipe. This hole is now threaded and has a screw in it holding the MAF Sensor in place. My question is, does anyone think this could cause any type of issues, the inner portion of that pipe having a small hole, even though it's plugged by the screw? I think it might be a stupid question to ask but I wanted to ask anyways.

Also, if anyone has an MST Intake kit for sale, I might buy it just to have one that's 100% lol.
Sponsored

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
I made the exact same mistake. There are 7 Allen bolts in the kit and 2 of them are for the sensor, while the other 5 are for the intake box top. The instructions for the v2 made no mention of this iirc. Since it's just for intake temp, it's probably ok, as long as it's mounted solidly.

OP
OP
Sereph102889

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
I made the exact same mistake. There are 7 Allen bolts in the kit and 2 of them are for the sensor, while the other 5 are for the intake box top. The instructions for the v2 made no mention of this iirc. Since it's just for intake temp, it's probably ok, as long as it's mounted solidly.
Yea man the instructions that MST sent with that intake system are garbage. The MAF is definitely mounted very solid, it isn't going anywhere. I've driven the car several times since the install and everything is good, no CEL's or anything. Thanks for the response.

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I too made the same mistake and had to re tap. But I didn’t screw in all the way through

bobombo

First Name
Lan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium 2021
It's better watch some youtube videos. The manual is rubbish!

TWC

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Supra, 2003 Mustang Cobra (terminator), 1998 BMW M3
Isn’t that just a temp sensor? I don’t think our car has a maf.

should be fine anyways, a leak in the charge pipe would be more of a concern.

SupraBH

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Mazda 3 Sedan
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but I literally did the same thing today when installing my intake. Screw head came right off and it was basically flush with the hole. I tried drilling but wasn’t successful with that either and just made the problem worse.

For now I have the intake installed with one of the 2 hex screws in and then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape to keep the other corner flush as well. It was the only thing I could think of in the time being as I was losing patience lol. Do you guys think this will cause issues or throw a CEL? I took the car for a drive after install to test and didn’t throw any codes but I’m not sure long term.

Really would like to avoid having to buy a whole other intake pipe 🥴

F2313010-AFFF-489F-BABD-737E8B47B089.jpeg

SupraBH

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Mazda 3 Sedan
The intake side doesn't matter -at all-. This is a bullshit temp sensor. Big turbo folks just zip time this sensor anywhere it'll fit. These cars don't have a MAF.
That’s reassuring to hear then. I’ll probably just run it with the tape for now to keep it from fluttering around all over the place. My biggest concern was having the car run too lean if this sensor’s readings were off.

Thanks for the help!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
That’s reassuring to hear then. I’ll probably just run it with the tape for now to keep it from fluttering around all over the place. My biggest concern was having the car run too lean if this sensor’s readings were off.

Thanks for the help!
Car will not run lean from this sensor for sure. You're good. <3
Sponsored