MT Supra Driving advice

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
I've been driving manual for 13 years but the Supra is the first rwd powerful manual car, so really just about 1.5 years of experience with a rwd high torque MT trans.

I have been diligently learning safely how to properly modulate the throttle on hard accelleration especially in 2nd gear which to me always felt the sketchiest and got much better at it and am happy with the progress.

However, one thing I have not been able to understand yet and I would like some advice please, is some "driver mod" tips on UP-shifting smoothly on hard acceleration.

What I mean by that is, sometimes when upshifting at speed, as I let out the clutch and feel it engage with the powertrain, it is quite an aggressive jolt in the rear, and it just feels unsafe, particularly 3rd to 4th. I can't tell if it would just be better to shift faster overall, or is it me trying to be "gentler" with the shifts making the revs drop so then when it engages the engine rpm speed is jolting the clutch plate...

I am not yet able to tell why this happens and how can it be reduced, as when down shifting it doesn't happen as the IMT makes it butter smooth <3

Any advice please on how to get better at this specifically? I.e. revs/speeds by gear / clutch disengagement speed.

Ultimately I want to become a better and safer driver and understand the mechanical reasons of this and how to make the car smoother.

Car conditions:
The car is 100% stock, 3500 miles, with the CDV, MSS tyres, TC nannies on, Sport Mode.
I don't feel like I have any throttle hesitation nor slipping issues.

Thanks and go easy on me 😀😅🤣😇

Could it be the oil weight tho? (🤣)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Mods apologies could you move this to "General Supra Topics" please?

Posted in UK by mistake my bad.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 CU Later Grey, 2015 Taccoma, 2013 A
@Mods apologies could you move this to "General Supra Topics" please?

Posted in UK by mistake my bad.
Grew up driving manual all my life and now have a 2023 A91 6MT. Casual driving, keep the rpm's low while shifting. Under 2,500 preferably because of the CDV so you are less jerky.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Remove the Clutch Delay Valve. Fixes this complaint and transforms the feel of the clutch and the six speed in general in all positive directions.

it went from being in my top five favorite manual cars I’ve owned in 25 years of driving to the absolute best manual by a big margin.

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Remove the Clutch Delay Valve. Fixes this complaint and transforms the feel of the clutch and the six speed in general in all positive directions.

it went from being in my top five favorite manual cars I’ve owned in 25 years of driving to the absolute best manual by a big margin.
I agree. I also removed mine a few months ago and it transformed the car. I've never owned an exotic super car so I can't compare to some insane vehicle, but this is easily the most fun car I have ever owned. I look for excuses just to go for a drive.

Last edited:

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
Interesting, I have only ever experienced the CDV issue on 1st to 2nd, the other changes, (up and down shifts) are fine.

I wonder why no two manuals seem to behave the same?

Tacoma714

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting, I have only ever experienced the CDV issue on 1st to 2nd, the other changes, (up and down shifts) are fine.

Other modern BMW manuals feel the same. The G87 M2 and also most likely even though I haven't test driven it yet, the new Z4 manual that was announced recently will likely have the same 1st to 2nd experience.

OP
OP
Supra_UK_

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am glad consensus seems to be a car issue/design feature so I can rest easy, but at the same time annoyed at this - makes me want to switch to an auto. 😅

Joker328

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Red 3.0 Premium MT
makes me want to switch to an auto. 😅
Booooooo! As someone who hasn't done the CDV delete yet, I've found the best approach is to smoothly let out the clutch (don't dump it) and feather in some throttle during the last couple inches of travel. Don't want to ride the clutch obviously, but I find that a little bit of slip helps smooth things out. The CDV makes it challenging to be too precise with it.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
I am glad consensus seems to be a car issue/design feature so I can rest easy, but at the same time annoyed at this - makes me want to switch to an auto. 😅
you own one of the best MTs available today. don't stress it. this little inconvenience gives the car personality, youknowwhatimean

Pizza

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mazda Rx-8, 2023 Nocturnal 3.0 Premium (MT)
So, if you want to cheat... When iMT is enabled, the car will also rev match upshifts. If you put it into the next gear and just wait an extra half second or so as the rpms are falling, it will hold the revs at the correct spot for the next gear. So, if you let the clutch out there and then roll on the throttle somewhat progressively instead of slamming it back to the floor, it will be smooth. This is quite a bit slower than if you're trying to accelerate as fast as possible though.

As others have said though, deleting the CDV will probably help you more than anything as it will remove a lot of ambiguity in the feel/timing.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
I've never read so much gear change clutch technique navel gazing in my life. I just get in the car and drive the best clutch and transmission I've ever used in 50 years of driving.

Phil

BrettMRC

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra, Defender, Rx400h
I've never read so much gear change clutch technique navel gazing in my life. I just get in the car and drive the best clutch and transmission I've ever used in 50 years of driving.

Phil
Hence my point that no two seem to be alike...

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP

Of course the shift 1st to second feels different and not quite as slick as the 2nd gear onwards shift, all road ratio transmissions do. Look at the ratio jump from 1st to second, 4.11 to 2.315, second to 3rd 2.315 to 1.542, 3rd to 4th 1.542 to 1.179. The bigger the ratio change the harder the syncro's need to work. Ever wondered why the second gear syncro has the shortest life in most gearboxes closely followed by the 3rd gear syncro? Because those two syncros work the hardest. If you are obsessed with launching the car from a standstill then you'll probably never be happy with the gearbox action from 1st to second. First gear in a sports car like this is just designed to get the car moving off the line the real action in a car like this is 2nd gear up because it's a sports car designed for driving the twisties where you'll never use first gear 99.9% of the time. The issue is Americans are obsesses with 1/4 mile performance and 0-60 times. Europeans and Japanese aren't near as much. They design sports cars for stuff other than straight lines.

Phil
Sponsored