MT Supra Gritty Clutch

Tillz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra Premium 3.0 MT
Hi All,

First post on here, hope I do it right. I have a 2023 MT Supra I purchased earlier this year, been dailying it since.

It has ~4.2k miles and a few days ago I started noticing a different sensation in the clutch pedal, and am trying to understand if others have faced similar before taking it in to the dealer.

The best way I can describe it is that when operating the clutch, it now feels more "gritty" or "grainy", especially around the bite point.

The car drives fine, I have faced no issues with slipping or anything else, even after this started happening. I have just noticed that the clutch actuation is not as smooth and has more feedback in the stroke. I have never had this experience with other manual cars to draw on.

It's hard to believe that this is some sort of clutch break-in/to be expected since the car has 4,000 miles already, but would appreciate any feedback from other MT owners.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Howdy! Nice to see more A90 MT owners joining the forum!

I am by no means an expert at manual transmission diagnostics, and tbh, i have not experienced anything similar with my prior MT cars either, but to me it sounds like the higher temps are causing the transmission fluid to get less viscous and hence transmitting more feed back thru the pedal?

I actually have the opposite issue. After driving on a highway for +15 mins, the clutch pedal feels completely numb. It feels like the surface of the clutch pedal has smoothened out like glass.

I am scared to drive it on the highway lol.

City driving feels fine, and the clutch remains grabby.

OP
OP

Tillz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Howdy! Nice to see more A90 MT owners joining the forum!

I am by no means an expert at manual transmission diagnostics, and tbh, i have not experienced anything similar with my prior MT cars either, but to me it sounds like the higher temps are causing the transmission fluid to get less viscous and hence transmitting more feed back thru the pedal?

I actually have the opposite issue. After driving on a highway for +15 mins, the clutch pedal feels completely numb. It feels like the surface of the clutch pedal has smoothened out like glass.

I am scared to drive it on the highway lol.

City driving feels fine, and the clutch remains grabby.
I think you might be on to something, actually!

Iā€™ve been paying more attention the past few days when I take the car out.

Both today and yesterday it was around 50-55 deg F when I left in the morning, and my clutch felt how it normally did - buttery smooth. By the time I got to work (~50min commute), I was feeling some feedback in the clutch as I mentioned in the initial post, which would make sense as the trans got some heat in it. The car drives fine still, just a different sensation when using the clutch.

I got my car in January so I hadnā€™t experienced any changes in feel due to higher temps until now, but what you said is also aligning with what Iā€™m experiencing.

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Glad that makes sense :D

However, that makes me wonder if we need upgraded clutch/brake fluids ..

Even Heaven

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT, 2008 Lexus IS250 MT
Hey, sorry to bring back this thread. Have you guys found this clutch issue being consistent with high temperatures still?

I'm on 1k miles and noticed my clutch felt like it had a slight "sticky" point around where it bites. Today and yesterday were particularly hot days, but I felt that this was also the case when I drove it in the morning when it was still cool out.

OP
OP

Tillz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yes, my clutch has felt the same since my initial post. It seems to come and go but with heat it definitely has a noticeably different feel during the clutch stroke.

Still have had no issues driving past a different pedal feel, and no slipping or anything of the like. ~4.5k miles at the moment.

Stvee

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium MT, 2007 4Runner
Based on what you all are saying, it might be the clutch pedal bushing.

Those have been an issue on BMWs for a long time.
Sponsored