Lan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Premium 2021
20201221_155358.jpg
20201222_132641.jpg
20201222_132701.jpg

Rear sway bar install complete! This tops my hardest install now followed by S2000 Super Charger Install. There were a lot of parts had to be removed for such a simple component. Also had to dealt with dropping subframe which I never had to do.

In my opinion, Cusco Install guide was very good as long as you could follow the pictures. there are few things I'd add to the manual.

1. All underside panels should be removed. pairs by exhaust, pairs on lower control arm, & pairs covering frame brace.

2. When lowering Exhaust, use hangers. See picture below.

20201221_165922.jpg

I used wire hanger to hang the exhaust instead of dropping to floor. If you are completely detaching exhaust, this would not matter but I felt better to hang it.

3. Before fishing the old sway bar out, mark which side is left or right. I had to figure out for awhile to make sure which side i'm putting it in. It's like a puzzle that can only be solved once to take it out as well as putting new one in. you definitely don't want "oops, it's wrong side.." Especially if you are doing this by yourself, you need to go back and forth side to side to take it out and put new one in.

See below as a reference how much you need to lower the subframe.
20201221_162100.jpg
20201221_162137.jpg

It is about 4 inches and I was afraid that I was going to break wire but I just managed not to.

However... After attaching subframe and torqued to the spec, I found this...

20201221_184311.jpg

passenger side spring did not wanted to stay in place.... I heard pop but didn't think of anything as it was getting late.. And found this spring assembly not in place...

20201221_193703.jpg

So I called it a day... you may have noticed I even bought spring compressor... Don't bother with this on rear spring since this would not work with rear springs of Supra. After a good hot shower, I searched for spring installation on bmw/supra rear spring installation and gave me pretty good idea what I had to do.

20201222_132622.jpg

Completed the installation today. Believe it or not at this stage, almost all mechanical parts were in its place. Just needed panels. After all that, no missing screws to nuts/bolts, nor left overs. Done some test drive to see if I have any code. No code, car drove just like before. Hard to see if it changed anything at the moment. I just need to wait 'til March.
Does dropping the subframe causing any alignment issue after?

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Does dropping the subframe causing any alignment issue after?
I was expecting that but didn't have much issue. however, it would be a good idea to check and adjust as factory alignment may not be to the spec. having said that, I did alignment after sway bar was replaced.

czzisaman

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Tungsten
Hi nibble, wondering what's your front/rear spacer setup running 285/35/18? And how do you like it compared to stock 19s, especially with added front width on feedback and traction?

I've been thinking about getting a set of 18x10s and run 265-285 squared for tire life and traction, and saw your feature on the APEX article.

P.S. You gave me a ride during last year's NASA Pocono event, August I think, showed me the car's potential in my first track day!

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Hi nibble, wondering what's your front/rear spacer setup running 285/35/18? And how do you like it compared to stock 19s, especially with added front width on feedback and traction?

I've been thinking about getting a set of 18x10s and run 265-285 squared for tire life and traction, and saw your feature on the APEX article.

P.S. You gave me a ride during last year's NASA Pocono event, August I think, showed me the car's potential in my first track day!
hi!

with my wheel tire setup, 5mm spacer is needed otherwise, tire may rub on strut purch. rear did not require 5mm spacer, but I put that on anyway just to balance out the increased wheel base. TBH, I don't know if it benefits or not. I think effect of change is very miniscule.

as for driving with 285 in the front, change of direction is very quick and responsive but no room to play and not for normal street driving in my opinion.

come on out to NASA NE event! I'm signed up with every event so far. ;) hope to see you soon!

czzisaman

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Tungsten
That's good to know! Indeed, thinking about going to the Limerock event next week, if my tires show up on time haha.

I'm much more active on Instagram, happy to stay in touch there if you are on IG too!

https://www.instagram.com/ssupppraa/

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
That's good to know! Indeed, thinking about going to the Limerock event next week, if my tires show up on time haha.

I'm much more active on Instagram, happy to stay in touch there if you are on IG too!

https://www.instagram.com/ssupppraa/
Hey! I’ll be at Lime Rock on Tuesday the 5th with scda. Hoping the current rain in the forecast goes away in time!

czzisaman

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra Tungsten
Hopefully! Yeah I've been looking forward to finally run Limerock. There will be more Palmer events in July too!

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
how's the hpde4 run group at LRP with nasa ne? mostly fast platforms + drivers or is it traffic galore?

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
how's the hpde4 run group at LRP with nasa ne? mostly fast platforms + drivers or is it traffic galore?
although it is depends on how many cars on the track, if you are DE4 driver, you should know how to manage traffic as well as maximize how to use track time. if your goal is getting best lap time and you have pace, perhaps you should try TT - Time Trial.

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
although it is depends on how many cars on the track, if you are DE4 driver, you should know how to manage traffic as well as maximize how to use track time. if your goal is getting best lap time and you have pace, perhaps you should try TT - Time Trial.
mostly depends on other drivers, lots of ego usually even with instructors

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
20201221_155358.jpg
20201222_132641.jpg
20201222_132701.jpg

Rear sway bar install complete! This tops my hardest install now followed by S2000 Super Charger Install. There were a lot of parts had to be removed for such a simple component. Also had to dealt with dropping subframe which I never had to do.

In my opinion, Cusco Install guide was very good as long as you could follow the pictures. there are few things I'd add to the manual.

1. All underside panels should be removed. pairs by exhaust, pairs on lower control arm, & pairs covering frame brace.

2. When lowering Exhaust, use hangers. See picture below.

20201221_165922.jpg

I used wire hanger to hang the exhaust instead of dropping to floor. If you are completely detaching exhaust, this would not matter but I felt better to hang it.

3. Before fishing the old sway bar out, mark which side is left or right. I had to figure out for awhile to make sure which side i'm putting it in. It's like a puzzle that can only be solved once to take it out as well as putting new one in. you definitely don't want "oops, it's wrong side.." Especially if you are doing this by yourself, you need to go back and forth side to side to take it out and put new one in.

See below as a reference how much you need to lower the subframe.
20201221_162100.jpg
20201221_162137.jpg

It is about 4 inches and I was afraid that I was going to break wire but I just managed not to.

However... After attaching subframe and torqued to the spec, I found this...

20201221_184311.jpg

passenger side spring did not wanted to stay in place.... I heard pop but didn't think of anything as it was getting late.. And found this spring assembly not in place...

20201221_193703.jpg

So I called it a day... you may have noticed I even bought spring compressor... Don't bother with this on rear spring since this would not work with rear springs of Supra. After a good hot shower, I searched for spring installation on bmw/supra rear spring installation and gave me pretty good idea what I had to do.

20201222_132622.jpg

Completed the installation today. Believe it or not at this stage, almost all mechanical parts were in its place. Just needed panels. After all that, no missing screws to nuts/bolts, nor left overs. Done some test drive to see if I have any code. No code, car drove just like before. Hard to see if it changed anything at the moment. I just need to wait 'til March.
can you please share more info about your feeling after the install of both sway bars ?
i want to do the sway bars also but cant decide for 100%,
and even after i decide, i dont know if to get the cusco set or the adjustable set ??
i do a lot of back road driving, fast driving where i can feel the body roll,
i barely do track days, maybe 1-2 a year.
and i realy like the adeptive suspension and stock height.

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
can you please share more info about your feeling after the install of both sway bars ?
i want to do the sway bars also but cant decide for 100%,
and even after i decide, i dont know if to get the cusco set or the adjustable set ??
i do a lot of back road driving, fast driving where i can feel the body roll,
i barely do track days, maybe 1-2 a year.
and i realy like the adeptive suspension and stock height.

Doing both made feeling more balanced, close to stock balanced with much less roll than stock. my recommendation has been do both or don't do it al all. I thought about adjustable but company like Cusco would have tested best set up for general use instead of using "random" number. Also, I'm not favoring adjustable because I spend more time figuring out if it's car / its setup or my driving skill when I used to have coil-over on my s2000 before. I rather spend time improving my driving skill than figuring out setup. - trying to make less variable. ;)

sams2k

First Name
sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 turbo s2k, 2017 cadillac atsv, 2022 supra 3.0
Doing both made feeling more balanced, close to stock balanced with much less roll than stock. my recommendation has been do both or don't do it al all. I thought about adjustable but company like Cusco would have tested best set up for general use instead of using "random" number. Also, I'm not favoring adjustable because I spend more time figuring out if it's car / its setup or my driving skill when I used to have coil-over on my s2000 before. I rather spend time improving my driving skill than figuring out setup. - trying to make less variable. ;)
thank you very much
i use to have cusco sway bars on my s2k, i think i will go with cusco also now

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
309850967_10159558181403962_4524920839345666702_n.jpeg

I paused while replacing Steel braded brake line... and appreciated how simple it was to replace the same in S2000. Still not understanding why in the hell I had to remove 15 screws and remove inner panel in order to unscrew 1 nut...
Sponsored