New A90 owner (and old car guy) in G-burg MD

jonny_tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Just got mine 2 weeks ago and almost done with the break in. I've floored it a couple times because who's really got the willpower to wait 1200 miles, this car is FUN
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Congrats and welcome!
Just got mine 2 weeks ago and almost done with the break in. I've floored it a couple times because who's really got the willpower to wait 1200 miles, this car is FUN
My wife was the RPM Police during my break in. Didnā€™t stop me from giving it a go a few times.

Milk

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Edition, 2006 Lancer Evolution
Welcome! Itā€™s a fun car, canā€™t wait to feel mine after sheā€™s done getting tuned

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Greetings Supra folks - I'm Tom from Gaithersburg, MD. I just did the paperwork for a '22 3.0 Premium in Tungsten/Red, to be delivered later this week. As everyone knows, supply is pretty short, and I bought this car from Sheehy before it even hit the lot. I've never paid MSRP for a car in my life until this one.

I've been around the car enthusiast community for a long time, getting my first "fun" car in '94, my first auto-x in '98, my first trackday in '02, and my first LeMons race in '08. I've been a BMW guy for a long time, so it's not exactly a stretch for me to get into a Supra.

I recently completed the '22 One Lap of America, sharing a friend's Cayman S for the event. Supras were very well represented, including the Toyota USA team. I knew I liked the car before the event, but seeing them all over the place at OLOA cemented the deal.

I plan to do the occasional track-day at Summit or VIR, maybe an auto-x if schedule allows, and I'm hoping to run OLOA '23 in the car. I'll keep the car pretty stockish for now while I learn it. I'm sure I'll eventually grab a set of square 18x10s for track use, maybe some sway bars, and a proper alignment.

Welcome!

My friend Danny just did One lap in his white Supra. I am sure you met him and got to know he is one of the nicest people on the planet!

Join the Owners group on FB with the * Astericks *- real owners group the others are full of jealous trolls

There is also an active Mid Atlantic Supra group.

I am at Summit often let me know next time you are there?

Also I am a club Member at Dominion if you ever want to come to a member day shoot me a PM!

Edit: as far as break in I am old school--- I bought car on a Wednesday and was at the track that Sunday. ;)

OP
OP

tomfree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
Welcome!

My friend Danny just did One lap in his white Supra. I am sure you met him and got to know he is one of the nicest people on the planet!

Join the Owners group on FB with the * Astericks *- real owners group the others are full of jealous trolls

There is also an active Mid Atlantic Supra group.

I am at Summit often let me know next time you are there?

Also I am a club Member at Dominion if you ever want to come to a member day shoot me a PM!

Edit: as far as break in I am old school--- I bought car on a Wednesday and was at the track that Sunday. ;)
Thanks for the recommendations!

Yup, I know Danny - we just figured out that we live about 5 min apart. I just talked to him last week RE the Supra to get some feedback on the car in a track setting before I pulled the trigger. I guess I should tell him I did the deed now. šŸ™ƒ

I used to instruct with NASA, but was in a nasty accident at Summit in '18 when my student wrecked his e92 M3 at T8/T9. I got banged up pretty good and took my first helicopter ride that day. Took me about a year to get back to normal and I'm just getting back into events now. OLOA was my 2nd event.

I've never been to Dominion before, even with it as close by as it is. I will definitely ping you to get that member day invite.

As for break-in, I'm scheduled for an auto-x on 6/5, so I'll be following the same procedure.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the recommendations!

Yup, I know Danny - we just figured out that we live about 5 min apart. I just talked to him last week RE the Supra to get some feedback on the car in a track setting before I pulled the trigger. I guess I should tell him I did the deed now. šŸ™ƒ

I used to instruct with NASA, but was in a nasty accident at Summit in '18 when my student wrecked his e92 M3 at T8/T9. I got banged up pretty good and took my first helicopter ride that day. Took me about a year to get back to normal and I'm just getting back into events now. OLOA was my 2nd event.

I've never been to Dominion before, even with it as close by as it is. I will definitely ping you to get that member day invite.

As for break-in, I'm scheduled for an auto-x on 6/5, so I'll be following the same procedure.

Wow! Glad you are able to get back into the sport.
Stories like that are the biggest thing keeping me from working towards instructing.

Let me know if you have any set up questions- but Danny knows a lot more about cars than I !!! I think he has owned 100 (no exaggeration) Will be sad when he leaves Supra... he has an M4 on order.

Some people really poo poo Dominion but instructors will tell you it is a thinking man's track. Ownership fixed some pavement issues over the winter and we now have our own clubhouse with AC ! The best part about member days- because we are small- there are usually only 3- 15 drivers on any given day. You will get tired before you run out of track time.

good luck!

OP
OP

tomfree

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra 3.0 Premium
Don't let my accident stop you from pursuing the instructor ranks. What happened to me was absolutely one in a million. If you have the experience and skillset to teach, it's a lot of fun.

What is different than when I started is the relative speed of just about every student car that shows up. When I started, an e36 M3 was a fast car. Now...it's a momentum car (I should know...I've had 2 of them). The stakes ARE higher now as an instructor, and that is worth consideration.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't let my accident stop you from pursuing the instructor ranks. What happened to me was absolutely one in a million. If you have the experience and skillset to teach, it's a lot of fun.

What is different than when I started is the relative speed of just about every student car that shows up. When I started, an e36 M3 was a fast car. Now...it's a momentum car (I should know...I've had 2 of them). The stakes ARE higher now as an instructor, and that is worth consideration.

A lot of people helped me with the learning curve and I would like to pass that along.

Couple weeks ago I did an event at Dominion that I hate- Friday night (too many idiots, .02) just so i could help a new Supra owner with the line there. I shaved 2 secs off his time.

Been exploring Instructor path and talking to folks that are doing and obviously have done it.
So far I am seeing that you have to take charge and not be afraid to tell someone to pull into the pit

Last year at a member day i right seated a friend and it was scary. He is super green and was driving like it was a video game. Knowing what i know now it was my fault for not "taking charge" and being kind but assertive.
Sponsored