New owner in Maryland with some questions

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Hey folks, just got my 3.0 and I’m loving it so far minus the known complaints that everyone else has. My questions:
  • Emissions: Anyone get checked with a catted DP? Issues?
  • What are the shops people recommend in the area that can dyno/tune our cars?
  • Follow up on the shop that knows how to update our ECU maps? (Hopefully same place)
  • Where do people meet besides cars and coffee in Annapolis?
Sponsored

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Did you get a 2020?
2021 premium. I know for now the JB4 is the way to go unless I send my ECU off which I don’t want to do. At least now anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
2021 premium. I know for now the D4 is the way to go unless I send my ECU off which I don’t want to do. At least now anyway.
Russia's currently closed for unlocked, so yup. JB4 it is for now. @Jesse DaBears can set you up with a tune, and he does it remotely.

tombox

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Launch Edition, Nocturnal Black
  • What are the shops people recommend in the area that can dyno/tune our cars?
  • Follow up on the shop that knows how to update our ECU maps? (Hopefully same place)
Check out Kinetic Autoworks in Millersville, MD, if you got questions, DM me.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I haven't done Virginia emissions yet with my AA catted downpipe but expect I would pass. I am not sure other, cheaper downpipes with lower quality cats would pass. I guess if you flunk you could swap it out for the stock downpipe for the emissions test but that is a bit of a hassle.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
I haven't done Virginia emissions yet with my AA catted downpipe but expect I would pass. I am not sure other, cheaper downpipes with lower quality cats would pass. I guess if you flunk you could swap it out for the stock downpipe for the emissions test but that is a bit of a hassle.
Yeah, I agree. I don’t think cheaping out on a downpipe or any performance part isn’t the best idea.

My one question, one you add bolt-ons like a dp, intake, exhaust, do you have to tune it? What if you wanted to wait until they figure out how to unlock the ECU and drive the car as is until then?

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Russia's currently closed for unlocked, so yup. JB4 it is for now. @Jesse DaBears can set you up with a tune, and he does it remotely.
I think this is the route I’m gonna go but I haven’t started any performance mods yet, I still need to lower it and get some wider tires.

comic0guy

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
Yeah, I agree. I don’t think cheaping out on a downpipe or any performance part isn’t the best idea.

My one question, one you add bolt-ons like a dp, intake, exhaust, do you have to tune it? What if you wanted to wait until they figure out how to unlock the ECU and drive the car as is until then?
Also the shipping to Russia thing is a fluid situation. Last I heard they are moving to Finland and plan to continue business there. Your best bet is to talk to Visconti Tuning. They have been handling the shipments without any issues.

You could probably do a downpipe with the post June ECU unlock for the same price as the other parts(and still not have the tune). But I don't know your exactly goals either.

I'm just planning on a downpipe and tune(though I have a tunable 2021). I may explore an intake for sound, but I know it doesn't get you much.

comic0guy

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
I think this is the route I’m gonna go but I haven’t started any performance mods yet, I still need to lower it and get some wider tires.
Even though this may have you look exactly like me, they are doing a group buy on APEX wheels if you are interested. I'm doing the SM-10s. But they have another one as well.
https://www.gangup.com/apex/apex-sm10-q1-2022.html
https://www.gangup.com/apex/19-forged-sprint-wheels-q1-2022.html

If you search for, they have some pretty good examples of fitment from customers.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Even though this may have you look exactly like me, they are doing a group buy on APEX wheels if you are interested. I'm doing the SM-10s. But they have another one as well.
https://www.gangup.com/apex/apex-sm10-q1-2022.html
https://www.gangup.com/apex/19-forged-sprint-wheels-q1-2022.html

If you search for, they have some pretty good examples of fitment from customers.
I like the models but I’m looking for black gloss rims, I could paint them later but I’m looking for them to come from the factory that way. Do they offer color rims as well in group buys?

comic0guy

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BRZ
I like the models but I’m looking for black gloss rims, I could paint them later but I’m looking for them to come from the factory that way. Do they offer color rims as well in group buys?
If you go through the link they have some colors, but I don't think they have any black for the supra options.

Last edited:

SupraDC

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Following this ....
I have 2020 3.0 premium with bone stock engine and I would like to get a conservative pump gas tune with the appropriate bolt ons.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Following this ....
I have 2020 3.0 premium with bone stock engine and I would like to get a conservative pump gas tune with the appropriate bolt ons.
I was actually thinking about making another local post asking folks for parts they are looking to get rid of. People getting rid of their cars or going back to stock.

Wasted effort? I see people offering all the time, just not sure if local.

Dan 2.0

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 2.0 (Sold); Awaiting 3.0 Allocation
If you haven't already, I recommend joining the Mid-Atlantic MKV/MK5 Supra *Owners Only* Group on Facebook. Great group of people on there, very helpful/knowledgeable.
Sponsored