New Exhaust Laws in CA that may affect MKV Aftermarket Scene

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
2019 has been a rough start for car enthusiasts in CA. CHP and local police have been in full force pulling over, not only modified cars but OEM cars that "loud" like a stock M4. We like to drive our cars that have a very nice exhaust tone.

"Existing law requires every motor vehicle subject to registration to be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise and prohibits a muffler or exhaust system from being equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device. Existing law further prohibits the modification of an exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner that will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle exceeds existing noise limits.
This bill would include, among those conditions that are disqualifying, a violation of the above-described requirements related to mufflers and exhaust systems."

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...01720180AB1824

For those in CA, please help and sign the petition and pass it on.

https://www.change.org/p/jay-obernol...-in-california
Sponsored

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mitsubishi lancer 5-speed (out of commission), 1991 Firebird Formula (out of commission), 2008 Toyota Camry
The biggest thing that excites me about the MKV, is the fact that I can turn the exhaust on and off, seriously. Just so I can be loud and even if I get pulled over they couldn't do jack about it.

They won't look for a downpipe after all :D

Does a downpipe make a big difference in noise anyway?

Sorry for going off-topic hear, consider it a bump :bump:

OP
OP
DesmoSD

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The biggest thing that excites me about the MKV, is the fact that I can turn the exhaust on and off, seriously. Just so I can be loud and even if I get pulled over they couldn't do jack about it.

They won't look for a downpipe after all :D

Does a downpipe make a big difference in noise anyway?

Sorry for going off-topic hear, consider it a bump :bump:
From I've heard so far, even sports cars with an OEM exhaust are getting pulled over; an M4 with a nice OEM growl . $1,000 fine and wasted time going to the state ref.

On top of that, the CHP decides to use a car that is at Laguna Seca. The race track has a strict 92db regulation with a sound booth on the right side of the track in Turn 5, hence why it has the silencers pointed to the right. They use this as their reference for their crack down.

What does this mean for the MKV? It could easily impact, not only sales in CA but aftermarket exhausts. Trying to purchase a cat back system and having shipped to CA is already hurdle but this would have a huge impact for those in CA unless we do something about it.

attachment.jpg

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 Mitsubishi lancer 5-speed (out of commission), 1991 Firebird Formula (out of commission), 2008 Toyota Camry
I was wondering why a couple of corvettes had tumors growing in the back in a video I saw on the forum. Well if they don't like it then they should stop the dealers from importing them, not fine people that already have the car. For us it is illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust as well, so I do feel your pain and I hope it works out for you.

I don't care too much about exhausts on cars because I actually prefer them to be quiet, but on bikes, very necessary. Luckily here they rarely stop bikes for their exhausts.

Edit: you guys live in the country of law suits, someone with one of those M4's or such should sue them for wasted time, wasted money because he wasn't doing his business or whatever and instead fighting the ticket, emotional stress, whatever reason he could find. Unless it actually happens and California becomes it's own country, in which case that would probably change as well :p

PilotMahoney

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS 250
Ooohhh dear CA looks like its becoming like Europe... or like some countries in the EU, where its a headache to modify and legalize an exhaust system.

Sucks pretty much its so beautiful to hear that rumble of V6 and V8 engines... but I guess the smart move is to install an exhaust system with a valve for the sound such as Armytrix or similar...

OP
OP
DesmoSD

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was wondering why a couple of corvettes had tumors growing in the back in a video I saw on the forum. Well if they don't like it then they should stop the dealers from importing them, not fine people that already have the car. For us it is illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust as well, so I do feel your pain and I hope it works out for you.

I don't care too much about exhausts on cars because I actually prefer them to be quiet, but on bikes, very necessary. Luckily here they rarely stop bikes for their exhausts.

Edit: you guys live in the country of law suits, someone with one of those M4's or such should sue them for wasted time, wasted money because he wasn't doing his business or whatever and instead fighting the ticket, emotional stress, whatever reason he could find. Unless it actually happens and California becomes it's own country, in which case that would probably change as well :p
Ooohhh dear CA looks like its becoming like Europe... or like some countries in the EU, where its a headache to modify and legalize an exhaust system.

Sucks pretty much its so beautiful to hear that rumble of V6 and V8 engines... but I guess the smart move is to install an exhaust system with a valve for the sound such as Armytrix or similar...
We have guys on Harley's blaring their V-twins with straight pipes through neighborhoods, guys on crotch rockets bouncing off the redline without any mufflers and the 4 Cyl cars with their gutted pipes. They can be annoying but now any catback exhaust are instant targets for police. My Supra just passed smog with the Apexi N1 exhaust. It's cat back, has a resonator and muffler.

Several years ago, CA shops were fined for selling and installing aftermarket exhausts, catalytic converters and cracking down on smog shops. Now for 2019, they have tightened their grip again with this new law. I have a feeling, it's only going to get worse and trigger more strict rules and regulations that will slowly kill the car enthusiasts and any modifications.

PilotMahoney

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS 250
We have guys on Harley's blaring their V-twins with straight pipes through neighborhoods, guys on crotch rockets bouncing off the redline without any mufflers and the 4 Cyl cars with their gutted pipes
Its typical, the couple annoying guys that dont respect or know the limits wherever they go and thanks to them everyone is screwed up...

Several years ago, CA shops were fined for selling and installing aftermarket exhausts, catalytic converters and cracking down on smog shops. Now for 2019, they have tightened their grip again with this new law. I have a feeling, it's only going to get worse and trigger more strict rules and regulations that will slowly kill the car enthusiasts and any modifications.
Wow shops fined...:eek: man thats more strict than Europe and I thought here was a pain in the ass.... yes I can see that they are going very serious about it. Well I hope for all of you guys enthuiast in CA that they chiil out a bit with that law and only get fined to the people that really deserves it.

Death666wish_

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It really sucks when a couple of obnoxious inconsiderate douchebags ruin it for everyone. And what's worse is they don't care and keep running their stuff illegally.

OP
OP
DesmoSD

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Its typical, the couple annoying guys that dont respect or know the limits wherever they go and thanks to them everyone is screwed up...

Wow shops fined...:eek: man thats more strict than Europe and I thought here was a pain in the ass.... yes I can see that they are going very serious about it. Well I hope for all of you guys enthuiast in CA that they chiil out a bit with that law and only get fined to the people that really deserves it.

It really sucks when a couple of obnoxious inconsiderate douchebags ruin it for everyone. And what's worse is they don't care and keep running their stuff illegally.
Yeah, that's what it usually takes but here it seems like a fatality will trigger a law change.

About the exhausts, this is what started it back in 2012. It has impacted motorcycle exhaust for the most part but auto shops have also followed.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/vance-h...rmarket-motorcycle-exhaust-systems-california

https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/store/product/tanabe-downpipe-toyota-supra-93-98-jza80/

NOTE: Not for sale or street use in CA & CARB States. Check your state and local law requirements and regulations.

Daigor

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
98 Toyota Supra
A New Exhaust Law was put into place January 1, 2019 for California Residents, which States:

"New California Law for 2019. As of January 1, 2019, a modified exhaust on an automobile or motorcycle, excessively loud, can no longer be cited as a correctable violation. Assembly Bill AB1824 has taken away the opportunity to correct the violation and requires a citation for such violation to result in a fine only. In many cases may also result in a trip to the Bureau of Automotive Repair B.A.R."

California Exhaust Laws State:
"California law requires that all vehicles must be equipped with an adequate muffler to prevent excessive noise from the exhaust system. It also prohibits the operation of a passenger vehicle (other than a motorcycle), or a truck with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of less than 6,000 pounds, that has an exhaust noise level greater than 95 decibels, when tested under specified conditions."

If you get pulled over by an Officer in California it will be an automatic $1,000 Fine! NO More Fix up Tickets and you will need to take your car into a State Referee for corrections!

I recall that Tada-San wanted to revitalize the aftermarket scene and have companies like HKS, Greddy, etc, develop aftermarket parts for the MKV Supra to allow the Owners to customize their cars. With this new law in effect, do you think it will it impact the aftermarket scene in California?

OP
OP
DesmoSD

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
From what has been floating around the internet, the automatic $1,000 fine is not necessarily true. The only thing that changed is correctible to non-correctible. I know the TRD exhaust for the MKIV is sound compliant but my Apex N1 doesn't have an official CARB sound cert like TRD even though it has a resonator. Since most of the aftermarket offices for North America offices are in CA, they are going to be in compliance. These stricter laws are going to have an impact on the MKV and modifications.

Misconception. No where in the law states that a new $1000 fine will be implemented after the law change. From my knowledge living here, the $1000 has been in the effect for years now and is the consequence if you DO NOT get the car checked out by the state referee. If you get a state referee sticker on your ticket and get the car checked out, instead of previously getting the ticket signed off as a correctable and paying the $25 correction fee, now it is not correctable and is a $200 fine. Again, nothing new here, aside the $175 difference in the ticket. The car still "needs" an adequate muffler system per law states and below 95db.

Last edited:

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
Welp, time to start saving up for incoming tickets!:D

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
From what has been floating around the internet, the automatic $1,000 fine is not necessarily true. The only thing that changed is correctible to non-correctible. I know the TRD exhaust for the MKIV is sound compliant but my Apex N1 doesn't have an official CARB sound cert like TRD even though it has a resonator. Since most of the aftermarket offices for North America offices are in CA, they are going to be in compliance. These stricter laws are going to have an impact on the MKV and modifications.

Misconception. No where in the law states that a new $1000 fine will be implemented after the law change. From my knowledge living here, the $1000 has been in the effect for years now and is the consequence if you DO NOT get the car checked out by the state referee. If you get a state referee sticker on your ticket and get the car checked out, instead of previously getting the ticket signed off as a correctable and paying the $25 correction fee, now it is not correctable and is a $200 fine. Again, nothing new here, aside the $175 difference in the ticket. The car still "needs" an adequate muffler system per law states and below 95db.
So what does this mean for STUTUTUTUTUTU?