VW Golf may or may not get a 9th generation, citing future regulatory difficulties with ICE

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-golfs-death-may-come-at-the-end-of-ices-1849377625

Volkswagen wants to keep it around as long as possible but they are unsure whether or not they can give it one more generation or not due to increasingly difficult emissions and fuel economy regulations.

My thought is to not kill it but just offer it as an EV with the cutting edge solid state battery technology provided by their partner QuantumScape.

Why totally kill off a beloved model of car (especially the Golf GTI and Golf R) when there *are* ways to keep it alive, albeit with different power delivery than before?

The ID.3 isn't really a Golf successor and we don't even get it in the U.S. anyway (the ID.4 *definitely* isn't a Golf successor-- it's a crossover), so...

Anyway the current VW Golf (and GTI and R) live for now.
Sponsored

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
According to what I hear it was already killed off the moment they decided to put those terrible haptics in there.

Tribeq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2015 A3
According to what I hear it was already killed off the moment they decided to put those terrible haptics in there.
My brother has a GTI and was looking to get a new one but the interior of the mk8 is so awful that he doesn’t know what car to look at now.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
My brother has a GTI and was looking to get a new one but the interior of the mk8 is so awful that he doesn’t know what car to look at now.
My wife loves her 2019
Sponsored