New owner maintenance opinions and advice??

eastwest2300

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
QX70
You do you, but I certainly wouldn't trust 0W20 in these engines in that environment. When you drain it it literally has the consistency of water, that's not an exaggeration, it splashes and everything. As has been mentioned multiple times before, that oil is recommended for emission reasons, not engine protection. Manufacturers have been doing this for years, it's well known, and there are a lot of cars out there that have a reputation for spinning bearings which it turns out are ultimately just due to using an oil that's too thin in order to meet emissions restrictions. Anyone who suggests you blindly use the manufacturer recommendation simply because "they're the manufacturer and they know best" is kidding themselves.

0W is only necessary if you're driving below 0F, and a 20 weight is only good up to maybe 80-90F (there are plenty of charts online, here is an example). 5W30 is a decent compromise. If you do a lot of aggressive driving in the summer and/or have modified the car and are pushing significantly more power, I might even move to a 5W40, but that's me.
Thank you for your insight bro.
Sponsored

eastwest2300

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
QX70
Bearing spin was found to be a problem in the E92 M3 with thick oil. Do not advise a member under warranty to go outside spec under warranty 0w-20 or not. Spec matters and so does what the maker demands to maintain warranty. The first thing checked in my GTi in Germany when the #4 spark plug electrode failed and killed my engine was tune. The 2nd was an oil analysis showing my oil met the book specs. Failed at high speed on the Autobahn 4km from the dealer. 6 months left of warranty. So kid yourself all you want about what a maker resorts to when assessing your claims under warranty. 2012 motor would have cost me 9000Euros+ +. Thankfully I was not tuned and using a heavy non spec oil.

No engines are built to fail by design with a given oil when new. When did that theory take hold lol! Do you think Toyota and BMW want engines to fail on their recommended oil? Keep drinking.

Your penrite chart is hardly the bible. He lives in South Fl so 30C is about right most of the year for an average temp. He will not damage his engine with 0-20 and most oil analysis shows that here when posted. He might want to see what his oil temp is warm and during some spirited driving. Synthetics are soooo much stronger than rumor here.

You have zero proof of a definitive answer for him. His owners manual does and matters more than your advice. Unless he fits a severe use category he will not be damaging anything with 0W-20 or any other oil that meets spec per BMW.

Id like for you to talk to my oil engineer in France about the oils they design for Moto Gp and F1 lol. ON a good day its the consistency of water. 10W. There is so much more to this than your post you have no idea. He works for Total. I will be sending him this post for entertainment.

This is from a Canadian site - for AMSOIL which I have never used. The advice is sound overall with respect to 0W-20 and the history of its us.

Answer: Yes, 0W-20 is unquestionably safe for your engine. Manufacturers have been specifying 5W-20 and 0W-20 since the early part of the last decade and there is no evidence whatsoever that engine wear rates have increased. Engine designs and materials along with motor oil chemistry have made massive strides in the last 15 years, so engine wear has never been lower. The 5W-30 grade is rapidly being supplanted in new cars by 5W-20 and 0W-20. By the end of this decade, a new vehicle specifying 5W-30 will be a rarity. In fact, expect to see even lower viscosities like 0W-16 in the coming years.

Why are car makers suggesting thinner motor oils? Quite simply to optimize fuel economy. But this trend has gone on for long enough for us to conclude that there is no downside in terms of shorter engine life.

As for the second part of your question about substituting 5W-20 for the recommended 0W-20, we see absolutely no advantage to doing this. Letā€™s use the specifications of the AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20 and 5W-20 to illustrate our point.

The industry standard for evaluating viscosity at operating temperature is the measured in ā€œcentistokesā€ at 100Ā°C.

• AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-20: 8.8 centistokes
  • AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-20: 8.7 centistokes

So therefore at operating temperatures, the 0W-20 and 5W-20 are virtually identical in terms of thickness or viscosity. The reason that the vehicle manufacturer opted for a 0W-20 oil is because it would offer a very slight improvement in terms of cold weather start-up protection.

Our daily driver calls for a 5W-20, but we opt for a 0W-20 for year-round use, just so that we have the best possible start-up protection. We see absolutely zero oil consumption between oil changes, even in scorching temperatures.

So the the bottom line is that you can rest assured that a quality 0W-20 motor oil will offer the utmost wear control. Enjoy your new truck and rest assured that it will be fine using 0W-20 motor oil.
wow, thanks for your insight as well.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
And the great oil debate continues. ā€¦

The facts are that certain B58TU engines suffer from an excessive oil consumption. The root cause has yet to be determined by Toyota/BMW. The observations are cylinder scoring which leads to oil getting past piston rings then triggering low oil notification.

The big question we want to know is ā€œwhatā€™s causing the cylinder scoring.ā€
- Is it the ringlets?
- Is it the cylinder honing process?
- Is it too soft of an engine break-in cycle?
Is it a combination of a few factors, along with the 0w-20 oil?

We as end users and the beta testers of the world are tasked with trying to find a solution. The 5w-30 suggestions are just that. If it reduces or eliminates excessive oil consumption then its a win.

What we canā€™t do is pretend that using the 0w-20 oil will solve the problem on its own.

Weā€™re not dealing with ideal conditions that were expected by engineering specifications. We canā€™t expect a different output if the input variables are the same.

-RJM
Sponsored

Last edited: