New Supra Shopper

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 RB A91, 2020 X3M, 2006 S2000
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a huge Honda fanatic. I currently have a 2019 Civic Type R that's FBO/tuned and honestly I have no complaints with the car. However, I have no kids and most of the time I'm either by myself or with a single passenger, so I'm looking for something more sporty with a little more potential. My dream has been to get an NSX, but after researching and looking at pricing/availability, I just can't justify the cost. Since Honda doesn't really offer much in between, I've started looking elsewhere and landed on a Supra that seems to check all of the right boxes.

With that said, is there anything I should be aware of while looking to purchase a Supra? I'd like a 3.0 premium and from what I've seen for pricing it looks like I might as well buy it new. I also have friends at the local Toyota dealer who can source the car and have said they will sell it without any markup. What I'm unsure of is, should I be looking for a 2021 or 2022?

I will 100% be modding/tuning the car at some point. It looks like, fairly recently, an option to clone the ECU became available (albiet pricy). Does this work for 2022 cars as well? I won't be purchases until spring, and I'll probably keep the car stock through next summer, but I want to make sure I have an option for tuning when the time comes.

Any other thoughts on '21 vs '22 would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure a new 2021 is an option at this point (and honestly I'd prefer the red interior offered on the 22) but the dealership is looking to see what they can find for me.

One last thing, is there seriously no support for Android Auto? Is this just a temporary thing, or is there a workaround? Or am I going to have to give up my Pixel and get an iPhone? ?

Here's a pic of my current lineup
desktop.png
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi, my name is Mike and I'm a huge Honda fanatic. I currently have a 2019 Civic Type R that's FBO/tuned and honestly I have no complaints with the car. However, I have no kids and most of the time I'm either by myself or with a single passenger, so I'm looking for something more sporty with a little more potential. My dream has been to get an NSX, but after researching and looking at pricing/availability, I just can't justify the cost. Since Honda doesn't really offer much in between, I've started looking elsewhere and landed on a Supra that seems to check all of the right boxes.

With that said, is there anything I should be aware of while looking to purchase a Supra? I'd like a 3.0 premium and from what I've seen for pricing it looks like I might as well buy it new. I also have friends at the local Toyota dealer who can source the car and have said they will sell it without any markup. What I'm unsure of is, should I be looking for a 2021 or 2022?

I will 100% be modding/tuning the car at some point. It looks like, fairly recently, an option to clone the ECU became available (albiet pricy). Does this work for 2022 cars as well? I won't be purchases until spring, and I'll probably keep the car stock through next summer, but I want to make sure I have an option for tuning when the time comes.

Any other thoughts on '21 vs '22 would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure a new 2021 is an option at this point (and honestly I'd prefer the red interior offered on the 22) but the dealership is looking to see what they can find for me.

One last thing, is there seriously no support for Android Auto? Is this just a temporary thing, or is there a workaround? Or am I going to have to give up my Pixel and get an iPhone? ?

Here's a pic of my current lineup
desktop.png
Honda Boy, now just trying to make it

OP
OP
Nitroturtle

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Interesting, I'll have to read through this and see if it's a viable option. I'm not afraid of a DIY solution (have done all the work on my cars myself). My only concern is I wonder if this still works with the latest Android, since they basically did away with the stand-along Android Auto app in the latest version (stupidest thing ever and maybe reason enough to just switch to iPhone).

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I'd like a 3.0 premium and from what I've seen for pricing it looks like I might as well buy it new.
Yup! Spot on.

What I'm unsure of is, should I be looking for a 2021 or 2022?
Doesn't really matter. They are mechanically identical. The only thing to look for is the color you want, and as you mentioned, interior options.

Does this work for 2022 cars as well?
Absolutely does.

Any other thoughts on '21 vs '22 would be greatly appreciated.
Again, they're mechanically the same. Aside from color (and that... umm.. questionable A91-CF option), they're the same car.

Unrelated: Team iPhone is where it's at. <3

SoDakMk5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
21 or 22 don’t matter. Like other said comes down to color and if u want the special edition CF. Just get an iPhone and wireless CarPlay works great. I came from an 2003 s2000 30k miles and a 2001 prelude 66k miles. I am Honda fan boy. Hardest thing for me to get used to is the shorter rpm band.

Attachments

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's not android auto but if your phone works with the built in screenmirroring you can allow video in motion on the screen by using Bimmercode. You still have to control everything with the phone but you can at least get it up on the screen. That's the easiest thing that doesn't require a hardware install or swapping phones if you can deal with it not being as easily functional.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
IMO would find a used 2020. There are a handful of 2021 that burn oil, and its too early to tell on the 22s. You can still find a few used 2020s in the low 50s.

There's also the fact it will be easier to get a tune.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Go with 22 or 20.
21s burn oil.
22 no one knows including me.
20 old faithful.

The reason I went 22 is because I'd rather get a brand new car vs a used one for the same price. I don't want someone else's abused goods. I want to know it's history from start to finish

OP
OP
Nitroturtle

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The reason I went 22 is because I'd rather get a brand new car vs a used one for the same price. I don't want someone else's abused goods. I want to know it's history from start to finish
Yeah, this is my reasoning as well. At best I save a few grand on a used one with unknown history, no thanks. I'm still 3-6 months out from purchasing, so hopefully by then more data is available on the oil consumption.

Reactions: zrk

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, this is my reasoning as well. At best I save a few grand on a used one with unknown history, no thanks. I'm still 3-6 months out from purchasing, so hopefully by then more data is available on the oil consumption.
Not only that but after the car craze, the 2020 will be 3 or 4 years old, while the 22 will only be 1 year old, so if you need to pull out (giggity) dealerships don't care if it burns oil or not, they care about year, mileage and damage.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing was changed on the 22 as far as we know so it's likely to have the same issue. If they knew the solution they'd already be fixing it on some 21's but that isn't the case. I bought a new 21 because it's what's available. In all reality the year on the supra is just a number. Worry about mileage, options, colors before year.
Sponsored