NHTSA Recalls (Aug 3, 2021) - Remedy Available

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
At the dealership now, was informed the recall could take up to 3 hours. I'm most likely going to just wait. No loaner is provided, mainly because they have like 15 vehicles saleable in their inventory lol.

They also only have one person authorized to work on the MKV's.
Sponsored

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I went in for an oil change today + brake recall. I had front camera error codes because of a problem with the installation of my laser jammer system. I told the techs to not worry about that bit as I will fix that myself. They did listen and leave it alone (rarity) but the brake software wasnā€™t able to get done. They told me there canā€™t be any fault codes on the vehicle in order to update.
Rut roh, mine probably can't be done then. I'm catless and the only reason I don't have a CEL right now is due to my BM3 tune. I remember it took a good 50 miles before my CEL came on when I first went catless so hopefully it takes a while for it to pop up.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I'm torn, I have a 2020 LE (wannabe) that's stock but only due to all of the parts being backordered. I was hoping to tune by EOY.

Should I update or just hold off?
Are you factory unlocked or do you still need to bench unlock your ECU? If the latter, get the recall work before you get the ECU unlocked so you only have to bench unlock once..

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
If there's anyone that gets this brake recall flash done and also has experienced the throttle hesitation can you keep an eye out for the ongoing existence of the throttle hesitation issue? I am wondering if Toyota bundled a software fix for the hesitation into this brake recall flash. Pure conjecture on my part.
Hard to really tell, but I feel like the throttle hesitation got better/went away after the recall update. I haven't noticed it lately.

My throttle hesitation still exists after the recall update I am afraid to say [experienced it this morning]. Of course when the Toyota Tech. tested the car, they weren't able to replicate. Can't fix something if they can't see the issue occurring i guess :/

At least on my car, the hesitation doesn't happen very often if i'm honest, but when it does, it's aggravating.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just got the car back. As expected the tune is gone, my driver profile is still present but the clock needs to be reset oddly enough. Sent BM3 the updated information to see if I'll need a bench unlock before reinstalling my flash. Forgot how sluggish these things are with stock power. Steering wheel also feels lighter, not sure if I like that or not.

Just confirmed with Protuning Freaks that my DME is now locked and all I have to do is get it bench unlocked and re-flash my tune. Going to do that in a couple months, keeping my stock map for my upcoming track day!

Last edited:

felcrum

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Prem, '20 RC350
If there's anyone that gets this brake recall flash done and also has experienced the throttle hesitation can you keep an eye out for the ongoing existence of the throttle hesitation issue? I am wondering if Toyota bundled a software fix for the hesitation into this brake recall flash. Pure conjecture on my part.
I was one the first people in the country to get the recall performed. Never experienced throttle hesitation or low/ burning engine oil before the recall.

Yesterday, at 4,700 miles, I experienced throttle hesitation a few times and "engine oil at minimum" and "add 1 quart oil."

Vehicle was towed to dealership, the service manager, Philip, advised me that an oil change is due at 5,000 miles. It's not. Anyway, no loaner provided, apparently it should be done "quickly." Check engine light on from catless downpipe.

Raidernation

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten Silver 3.0 Premium Supra
Just had this update done on mine on Monday. The full entertainment screen is nice. Only negatives I experienced is the Bimmer codes need to be reprogrammed and now I am noticing a slight throttle lag. Yesterday I almost got t-boned making a left hand turn from a drivaeway. Car was warmed up and ambient outside air temp was in the 80's. A cold slippery road was not a factor.

Countdamony

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lexus is250
Lost mine yesterday, but no update. Not sure if Iā€™m remembering correct, but I seem to recall CarPlay was free for 2 years and since I also have an LE wondering if they took it away

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
Lost mine yesterday, but no update. Not sure if Iā€™m remembering correct, but I seem to recall CarPlay was free for 2 years and since I also have an LE wondering if they took it away
Really? Are you connected to Supra Connect? See weather etc on dash?

CarGuy11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra Prem/Assist DS Blue, '16 C7, '22 Mach-E
Interesting I lost mine on my 2 year anniversary but I donā€™t think we are supposed to loose CarPlay. May want to check with dealer. Maybe your coms module went bad like mine.

hwnstyle21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Are you factory unlocked or do you still need to bench unlock your ECU? If the latter, get the recall work before you get the ECU unlocked so you only have to bench unlock once..
Iā€™m factory unlocked. So the recall shouldnā€™t matter right? Unless they brick it like the one in this thread.