• Thread starter Deleted member 10795
  • Start date
  • Watchers 6

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
I've never been to Cali before, but I have an idea of what you're experiencing right now. Modifying in the UAE is very very illegal, a modified exhaust can lock your car up for 30 days (you have to pay like 800$ for the lock up as well) and a 4000$ dollar ticket not to mention the intake or the DP which both cost a bit less than the exhaust, as the way of the law is prevention is better than cure so we have to pay a lot for infractions. However, as the people before me have mentioned just be smart about where and when your going. From where I'm sitting just run either a catted DP something like Active Autowerke which is probably the best out of the bunch. Or try my set up which is running a valved exhaust something like a valvetronic exhaust, which is were u can push a button to open up valves to make it straight piped or push another button to close it and make run through a muffler. So you can either be loud af when you want to, or as quite as you want when you want to as well. Thats what I'm doing with my supra.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'm old so no longer do stuff that will give me grief with PD and, most often: CHP. A few extra HP just isn't worth it for me. I bought this car because it's fast enough off the showroom floor. I've tried a JB4. It didn't make enough of a difference.. the aftermarket DP wasn't worth it, either. I had a CEL and not enough extra power to notice.
That being said, you should be okay if you choose to, as long as you don't draw attention to yourself. *Most* people that want to be loud want attention, so also do other stuff to their car to be noticed. That's where they get in trouble.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Most cops out here don't know the difference between having a cat and not having one. Honestly, you cant even see the cat so they have no way to prove it on spot besides the smell. They just guess and send you to the ref. That gives you time to put the car back to stock and only have to pay the ref fees.

However, we have had rolling smog stations coming around lately. You get caught on one of those and they will go to town on you. I think its something like a $2000 fine.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
I'm surprised anyone would even sell you a downpipe with a California address. The vendor would be subject to massive fines.

SuupYota

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium 3.0 Renaissance Red 2.0
I'm surprised anyone would even sell you a downpipe with a California address. The vendor would be subject to massive fines.
Unless it's for "off-road use only!!"

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Most vendors wont. Got to cheat the system to be able to get one here.

Jambo

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Gr supra 2020.
Find yourself lucky in uk and Europe we have to run an opt/gpf filer to be above board

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Move outa Kalifornia if ya wanna do any mods to your car!
Or stay and mod your car. I lived there most my life, moved literally just cause, but never had an issue with mods, smog or anything. New cars don't smog for like 7 years or something, so it's easy to mod for a decent amount of time, then idk, don't attract attention and be an ass so the cops know you.

In like 10 years of modding cars heavily, I've never had an issue. I have been pulled over in all my modded cars and they never even asked about the car.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Most vendors wont. Got to cheat the system to be able to get one here.
Wrong, unless something changed. You can send most stuff to CA. It's not the vendors responsibility if I use it for street. They have disclaimers saying it is for off-road, it's not on them to babysit you and confirm if you do use it properly. I could be wrong, but I modded my cars without issue in CA. I bought parts from out of country, from local vendors, from online and it all gets here without any issue at all.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Heres my personal experience.

If the cars loud = You're ticketed for modified exhaust. This is a correctable violation and a state ref ticket. You correct it, take it to the state ref (decibel measuring), pay the state ref fee of 110 & pay the 25 dollar fine at the court for the ticket.

People saying you would get a modified exhaust ticket for a cat isn't true in most cases.
If the cars catless/hiflow cat and the officer knows what he's looking for = Modified emission ticket, this is when you'll need to visit the state ref where he'll smog the car, check for tunes, and probably measure with a decibel reader. You'll pay the associated state ref fines, (sub 200, more then 100) & go pay the associated court fee depending on if he made it correctable or not.

If you do your own work I wouldn't worry about either, just a simple swap back to stock & you're good to go lol.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Wrong, unless something changed. You can send most stuff to CA. It's not the vendors responsibility if I use it for street. They have disclaimers saying it is for off-road, it's not on them to babysit you and confirm if you do use it properly. I could be wrong, but I modded my cars without issue in CA. I bought parts from out of country, from local vendors, from online and it all gets here without any issue at all.
You are very wrong.... Legit companies will not ship anything non CARB compliant to CA. I sell car parts for a living. Even with me telling a vendor that the part is going on a race car that has never been registered or will never even see the streets, they still wont ship it.

JoshuaQ

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You are very wrong.... Legit companies will not ship anything non CARB compliant to CA. I sell car parts for a living. Even with me telling a vendor that the part is going on a race car that has never been registered or will never even see the streets, they still wont ship it.
Weird cause I've bought them for a living and I've never been rejected a purchase in CA NEVER EVER. Sorry if you sell parts for a living, but you're either wrong, or we are talking about the same thing.

I've bough from all over America, "Illegal" parts and "legal" not one has ever stopped me from buying those parts, and they were all shipped to CA without issue. The only thing that was ever stopped for me was some plasti dip by the gallon when I was looking into painting with it. I've bought street illegal turbo kits, catless downpipes, catless headers, NON Carb everything. Matter a fact I've had 0 carb legal parts in CA, since it's difficult to get it, yet never had an issue buying stuff that is "illegal" in CA.

Idk what to tell you.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Try to get a Mustang tune from Lund or VMP or a CAI from JLT.
Sponsored