Octane Boosters

dragonhunter241

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91
Does anyone use Boostane in their fuel setup? Does it help in any way? More pops? What’s the highest octane the GR Supra can take?
Sponsored

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Does anyone use Boostane in their fuel setup? Does it help in any way? More pops? What’s the highest octane the GR Supra can take?
is this a serious question? I am sorry lol

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Boostane is actually one of the few products that works. and by works it works VERY VERY well. Can be used in a pinch, but i wouldnt run it all the time as it gets expensive. But its a very good octane enhancer.

No it wont do anything for pops and etc.

AlRayes_BRN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90
Boostane is actually one of the few products that works. and by works it works VERY VERY well. Can be used in a pinch, but i wouldnt run it all the time as it gets expensive. But its a very good octane enhancer.

No it wont do anything for pops and etc.
How much do you have to pour in if you have a full tank of 91 fuel to make it jump to 95?

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
How much do you have to pour in if you have a full tank of 91 fuel to make it jump to 95?

There's a mixing chart on the can, their website, etc..

My personal experience is it works extremely well -- essentially as advertised. My ZR1 went 10.4@ 134 on straight 93 pump and 10.1 @ 138MPH on 93 + Boostane and a more aggressive tune to take advantage of the octane. It's MMT based, so it will turn your plugs orange and probably not great for cats (if equipped) or O2 sensors in the long run. I've run it intermittently in a few different cars and have never had any perceivable issues -- just more power when tuned for it.

AlRayes_BRN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90
There's a mixing chart on the can, their website, etc..

My personal experience is it works extremely well -- essentially as advertised. My ZR1 went 10.4@ 134 on straight 93 pump and 10.1 @ 138MPH on 93 + Boostane and a more aggressive tune to take advantage of the octane. It's MMT based, so it will turn your plugs orange and probably not great for cats (if equipped) or O2 sensors in the long run. I've run it intermittently in a few different cars and have never had any perceivable issues -- just more power when tuned for it.
Thank you for your input, yeah I always hear that octane boosters could be bad for the O2 sensors in the long run. I use my car on the weekends only and hardly drive it on weekdays so im thinking of using boostane with 91 fuel to take increase it to 95. Not sure how much I'd need, the Supra fuel tank capacity is 52L (13.7 Gallons).

Last edited:

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I run boostane on my blown s2000, 12 gallons of 93 and one can of boostane should equal about 103 octane. My s2k only takes 12 gallons so its perfectly mixed every fill up. Got a noticeable amount of extra timing out of my tune and switched to a 20psi pulley, and its safe.

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
Not sure how "safe" it is if it destroys your cats and O2 sensors. The manufacturer states it's for off road use for this reason. Use too much on a stock car and the exhaust system will be affected. Otherwise for catless cars and those used on the track it's perfectly fine. It does work quite well as stated above

AHP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium, 2022 C8 HTC, 2019 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure how "safe" it is if it destroys your cats and O2 sensors. The manufacturer states it's for off road use for this reason. Use too much on a stock car and the exhaust system will be affected. Otherwise for catless cars and those used on the track it's perfectly fine. It does work quite well as stated above

I'd say that's egregiously dramatic.. There's zero evidence it will 'destroy your cats and O2 sensors', aside from the orange tinting. The active ingredient is MMT, which is the same compound found in most unleaded race fuels. I used to get Texaco 100 octane at the pump ("street legal") that turned plugs orange -- why, because MMT -- and I burned literally hundreds of gallons of that stuff back in my MKIV BPU days. No cats, but it never affected either the OEM or wideband O2 sensor (and I laid down higher dyno numbers and ran quicker and faster in the 1/4 than most, FWIW). Boostane has no specific warnings or guidelines for cats vs non on their site; however, some of the FAQ content is worthy of a read, i.e.,

1608056986993.png

I'm sure that has to do with the concentration of MMT that the EPA has drawn a line at for road-going vehicles. Just as you can get 100 octane straight from the pump, but 106+ unleaded is not available, ostensibly due to the concentration of MMT.

I don't have a dog in this fight, aside from combating misleading information. It works extremely well and I've never experienced any meaningful downsides and I've yet to find anyone that has first-hand. As far as the plugs being tinted, anyone doing the things that necessitates higher octane is (or should be) checking and changing plugs frequently anyway. And if your 'race car' has cats, you're doing it wrong.

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
I don't have a dog in this fight, aside from combating misleading information. It works extremely well and I've never experienced any meaningful downsides and I've yet to find anyone that has first-hand. As far as the plugs being tinted, anyone doing the things that necessitates higher octane is (or should be) checking and changing plugs frequently anyway. And if your 'race car' has cats, you're doing it wrong.
[/QUOTE]

Hahaha. You're spot on? I've used it in my 97 supra and it killed the O2 sensors in 10k miles and the cats were collapsing. (stock car) As for now it seems to have no disadvantages to cars that are catless or running high flow cats. No issues the last 25k miles other than mild discoloration. I do believe the concentration matters. It should be noted that all octane boosters are not the same. Lucas Oil only uses 1 to 3% MMT vs Boostane at 3 to 6% I recommend finding a safe mix for your car regardless. VP used to make a octane product as well. We used them on DSM engines at the track

AlRayes_BRN

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra A90
I used Boostane shot today which should raise the octane by 3 numbers, i will tune the car tomorrow and send the log to MHD to verify that there are no issues with the 93 octane stage 2 map and my fuel mixture.

The fuel here is 91.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Relatively cheap.. 100 octane race gas is sold out of the pump at my local drag strip at 7$ a gallon
Sponsored