OEM tires for Seattle winter

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
Does anyone know if the Oem tires can handle the Seattle winter temperature? I am not concerned about driving in the snow. I usually ride on continental dws all year round but my wheels haven't come in yet.
Sponsored

StevesMK5

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE Nocturnal. 94 Mkiv Supra turbo renaissance red 6 speed Ram 3500 6.7 Jeep Wrangler l6
I hate to see it driving in the snow or the rain. It should be ok as long as you take it easy no sport mode. I Definitely wouldn't recommend snow driving in this car. but if it's your daily driver, that sucks. 🥶 I'm in the Puyallup Covington area. mine is on toyo R888 summer track tires. they work fine for me, but my car rarely sees rain only take it out on cold clear winter days. just to keep the batteries charged. quick Cruz to work sometimes mainly drive it in the summer months.

chester6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
i live in seattle and just got my supra this year, gonna slap some winters onto oem rims just in case, not planning on using oem rims/tire next summer anyways

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
They do not handle it well, I seem to recall they lose a ton of traction once the temperature drops below 40 degrees. I think it was drivable, but you need to be very careful if it is wet + cold.

Mainly saying this because I had a really hard time getting the AS tires I wanted, and ended up driving OEM tires all the way through December last year.

I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 all year round right now, but definitely considering getting a 2nd set of wheels so I can swap out depending on season.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I've got Continental DWS 06+ all seasons on my OEMs for winter, and a summer set on some Titan TS5s.
+1

I love my DWS06+

I went on a road trip last week from Dallas to Eureka Springs, AR. I left Dallas in the pouring rain and arrived in Eureka Springs where it was cold, but dry and sunny. Woke up the next day to find snow on the ground and temps in the 20s. Went for a drive and it handled the twisties just fine without much warm up time!

Definitely the best tire if you have only one set and live in areas where temperature fluctuations are frequent and rampant.

chester6

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium
I finally got my winters on this week, but the few days before when I was on OEM, I was slipping everywhere, even when the road appeared to be clear of any snow. Had an especially scary incident where I was at a red light on a steep uphill and the back wheels spun when trying to get moving

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’m in Puyallup and drive the 4Runner in the snow. I would imagine the Supra would handle like shit…

Rhane

First Name
Rhane
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 A91-MT, '22 Mustang GT, '13 FR-S
I tried driving my mustang w/ PP (summers) in the snow. I barely made it home LOL. Slapped some DWS 06+, handles like a champ!!

eqi

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Egis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
supra
Sorry for my french language.
By whytf even you need to drive with summer tires which doesnt work at all at positive 7 degrees celsius( sorry i do not understand F shit) and run like a cow on ice?
It is just killing yourself/car.
Btw in north EU insurance will not pay any money if you were in summer tires in winter even if you are not guilty in accident.
Just trying to understand you guys. GL HF and have a nice beer.
Sponsored