Official: How to buy a car thread.......

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
You are exactly what's wrong with this society...you lie, you manipulate and play game with an industry that has one single goal and that's to sell you a car. Cheers buddy, I bet you have a great time buying things...
You mean I play their game? Okay, I accept that judgement.
Sponsored

OP
OP
GoldenEye

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
@dethred You already know you can do whatever you want, it's a free country. However, I suspect you might get more enjoyment out of life if you relax a little bit. Why do I get the feeling you have issues no matter where you go? Do you speak the restaurant manager everytime you go out, maybe get free food? IDK, I'm probably wrong...

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@dethred You already know you can do whatever you want, it's a free country. However, I suspect you might get more enjoyment out of life if you relax a little bit. Why do I get the feeling you have issues no matter where you go? Do you speak the restaurant manager everytime you go out, maybe get free food? IDK, I'm probably wrong...
Nah, see you're conflating a Karen with someone that simply plays the same game as the car sales people. Does it really upset you so much that some people don't get overcharged by the middleman at the dealership?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
You are exactly what's wrong with this society...you lie, you manipulate and play games with an industry that has one single goal and that's to sell you a car. Cheers buddy, I bet you have a great time buying things...
LMFAO. You are literally describing most sales people - there's a reason why used car dealers (in particular) have this reputation. The industry's single goal is to profit as much as possible by selling cars. Our job as consumers is to pay as little as possible for said car.

What is your problem?

DEupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX-8, '23 BRZ, '24 3.0 MT
LMFAO. You are literally describing most sales people - there's a reason why used car dealers (in particular) have this reputation. The industry's single goal is to profit as much as possible by selling cars. Our job as consumers is to pay as little as possible for said car.

What is your problem?
His problem is....I'm pretty sure he works for a dealership lol.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
My personal rules:

Never arrive at the dealership until you have everything for the deal in writing.

Pit the dealership against at least a few others.

If they don't have any interest in lowering the price, stop talking to them. And never trust the sales staff until you have self-verified.

I often lower offers from other dealerships and share with competitors. If they play ball, they were always overcharging you.

If you have to finance, use your own bank unless there's a major deal with the manufacturer. and you can reap the reward

Etc.
You are absolutely right. However, it could have been phrased better - I fixed it above ☝ lol

Imagine govt priced vehicles. None of us would be able to afford them and the wheels would fall off on the way home. Capitalism is great because it wasn’t created. It occurred naturally. If the car sucks, sales go down. Dealer is an asshole, word gets around. The sales person is an ass - they‘ll make less. But... it’ll teach someone how to negotiate, with the pain in their wallet. If they don’t learn, they are just plain stupid.

Buyer beware, do you‘re homework, don’t expect everyone to hand you the best deal.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
You are absolutely right. However, it could have been phrased better - I fixed it above ☝ lol

Imagine govt priced vehicles. None of us would be able to afford them and the wheels would fall off on the way home. Capitalism is great because it wasn’t created. It occurred naturally. If the car sucks, sales go down. Dealer is an asshole, word gets around. The sales person is an ass - they‘ll make less. But... it’ll teach someone how to negotiate, with the pain in their wallet. If they don’t learn, they are just plain stupid.

Buyer beware, do you‘re homework, don’t expect everyone to hand you the best deal.
Hahaha.. your positivity is amazing my friend but I think in this case it is misplaced. Using a healthy dose of cynicism I've re-fixed it for you. 😂

Pit the dealership against at least a few others not necessarily making it obvious you are doing so unless that will help you make the deal. If a dealer/salesperson has tried hard to look after me always give them the right of reply.. but if they don't come to the party, they miss out.

If they don't have any interest in lowering the price, stop talking to them. And never trust the sales staff until you have self-verified. Salespeople are unreliable due to their inherent bias. Their number one goal is to make themselves money and by extension, their dealership. Your needs are tertiary! This is a powerful driving force: Imagine the commission is $5000 on car A but only $50 on car B. Irrespective of what you want, which car do you think the salesperson will lead you towards? Also, maintaining repeat business in the car industry isn't part of the playbook. It's all about the sale in hand.

I often lower offers from other dealerships and share with competitors. If they play ball, they were always overcharging you.

If you have to finance, use your own bank unless there's a major deal with the manufacturer. and you can reap the reward. I'm not sure about this one. I'm all for keeping options open but usually going through a bank is better. Also, be sure to check any major deals with the manufacturer very carefully.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
“Capitalism is great because it wasn’t created. It occurred naturally”

Uhhhh, somebody needs to read more.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Verification =\= trust. I'm sure it varies, but of the dozen odd new vehicle purchases I've made over the years, not a single time did I experience a 100% honest salesperson. Even at Porsche, the guy couldn't go through the entire transaction without slipping in a blatant lie. It's almost a badge of honor to get one over on the customer, no matter how trivial. It's almost pathological.

Also, pitting dealerships against each other is the best way to save money. Unless the car is in heavy demand and selling for over MSRP (never actually buy something in these circumstances), you can simply say "hey the next closest dealership agreed to $__,___ price, can you do better? In normal circumstances they'll beat the price. Invoice pricing isn't even real invoice, it's all a game to get as much out of the customer as possible, why not play the same game?

Basically, @BMWAF got it 100% correct.

One other thing I forgot to mention: Always be willing to travel for a vehicle or even have it shipped (if new or independently inspected); just make sure to have everything in writing, signed by the dealership, and waiting for your signature (or they'll have you by the balls when you arrive from out of town). My latest purchase was a 2023 Tundra Capstone in February 2023. Local dealership was asking $103,000 (absolutely stupid), I got mine for 74,900, or $4900 under sticker by driving 7 hours to Pittsburgh, and it was better equipped. I got my fully optioned Viper in 2015 from San Diego, had it shipped to DC for $57,000 off sticker all in. Local DMV dealerships were holding firm at MSRP. My a91 Supra was 4 hours away, but I got it for $1500 off invoice, local and DC area dealerships were marking it up to 20k over sticker and wouldn't budge.

Vertex

First Name
Vertex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium Supra Matte Storm Gray
Someone should be in prison for this markup. 45th anniversary MT
IMG_1667.jpeg
What the hell is green car package

As for the main post from OP, I really liked the read. Actually exactly what I would recommend a friend or family member IF THEY EVER ASK BEFORE BUYING A NEW CAR SOMEWHERE. Sorry I've worked in a couple dealers over the last several years and for some reason NONE of them ever asks my opinion or talks to me first prior to buying something. Obviously doesn't affect me but I do care about them getting a good deal and/or not ripped off. Only thing I didn't completely agree with was the credit karma comment simply because every time I've had my "credit checked" the number has come back exactly the same as what I see in the app. Not saying it is 100% accurate but I've never had anything show any different for me at least but have also never had a missed payment or anything incredible outstanding debts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also one last thing to that I know was kind of mentioned in passing in the OP's original post but I want to reiterate one thing just because I've run into this personally when I ordered my 21 Mach 1. When "ordering" a new car whether we are talking about a Supra or any other vehicle and you do your own build. Have them print off the build and get an autograph from a sales manager and yourself that also shows final MSRP or whatever agreed upon price is. If that price changes for any reason due to increase in cost of parts or whatever it may be the MANUFACTURER will reimburse the dealership in that cost change, you DO NOT pay the difference if the price increased in any way due to manufacturing changes etc unless you are adding more to the deal. The price on my Mach 1 changed almost $3000 between the time I ordered and time it was delivered. They tried to hit me with it and I pulled out the sheet I had signed at time of order so I wasn't paying that extra money.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Hahaha.. your positivity is amazing my friend but I think in this case it is misplaced. Using a healthy dose of cynicism I've re-fixed it for you. 😂
Yeah I had an extra dose of positivity that day ☕
. It would be a rarity to find a dealer not trying to squeeze out every last dime. The worst is the final papers signing with the “closer”. Despite telling your salesperson you don’t wan’t any extra add ons, they continue to ask the same questions again. Extended warranty, VIP package, LoJack , you name it.

Thus, I love buying them online. Get all the paperwork done ahead of time.
Sponsored