Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
For those who have received theirs, do they have any of the internal badging with numbering like the Launch Edition has? If not, I'm curious is that will be something Toyota sends out after the fact like they did with the cars in Europe.
I'm hoping they do that too.

ayoh

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
i thought the EU launch edition cars were already supposed to have it but they just didnt have the decal ready in time for launch. kinda like the spoiler situation. If i recall correctly, i watched a video from shmee150 on youtube getting one of the first LE in EU and he he mentioned something about decals not being ready at that point in time. (we already knew the LE cars would be numbered but theres no mention of a91 being numbered anywhere from toyota as far as i know)

HelloPanda

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX, Supra
i thought the EU launch edition cars were already supposed to have it but they just didnt have the decal ready in time for launch. kinda like the spoiler situation. If i recall correctly, i watched a video from shmee150 on youtube getting one of the first LE in EU and he he mentioned something about decals not being ready at that point in time. (we already knew the LE cars would be numbered but theres no mention of a91 being numbered anywhere from toyota as far as i know)
I’m sure if we all complain to Toyota enough they’ll make at the a91s a decal for the unit number haha

joels740

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium Absolute Zero
TLDR; I placed a deposit on a Refraction A91 yesterday. I'm in an opposite situation than most of the people in this thread. My dealer is estimating a December-January timeframe. Does this sound right? That timeframe would be ideal for me because i need to sell my 20 premium in a really bad market for 20s.Im not waiting in anticipation like most people.

I just read through all 64 pages of this thread to catch up lol. I was about to pick up a 2020 LE in February. The week i got approved to finance it out of State next door to me in Colorado, they announced all the big changes to 2021. They also dropped the news that the Refraction blue was a special edition 3.0. I thought it was going to be a limited 2.0 before the actual announcement.

Naturally i went back and forth and stayed undecided. I finally lost patience because i anticipated the A91 would have huge markups. I am blown away that they don't in most cases. If i could've predicted the future, i would've waited. I thought this was going to be a haggling nightmare to get an A91 at MSRP like it was with the LE.

As a result, I went the cheaper route and decided to pick up 2020 premium in white back on March 1. I got a great deal on it (50k before taxes). This was before covid lockdowns took off, or anything like that. This was also before all these crazy dealer rebates that have been circulating since March.

Here I am months down the road, and i went full circle. I placed a 2500 deposit on the A91, and now i need to sell my 2020 since it's financed. I unlocked the DME, have two Ecutek maps by Mike Botti, DP, and some exterior CF pieces.

I am going to take a MAJOR loss on my 20. I am listing it locally as is to see if i can break out a little better than reverting to stock and trading it in. I had no idea how bad the market was for 20s right now.

The December/January time frame would allow me more time to work out a deal if that is accurate.

Final thoughts - Is the refraction blue worth taking a huge loss on my current car? I know it's really up to me, but i appreciate feedback too.

Opinions?

OP
OP
Dannyvandelft

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
TLDR; I placed a deposit on a Refraction A91 yesterday. I'm in an opposite situation than most of the people in this thread. My dealer is estimating a December-January timeframe. Does this sound right? That timeframe would be ideal for me because i need to sell my 20 premium in a really bad market for 20s.Im not waiting in anticipation like most people.

I just read through all 64 pages of this thread to catch up lol. I was about to pick up a 2020 LE in February. The week i got approved to finance it out of State next door to me in Colorado, they announced all the big changes to 2021. They also dropped the news that the Refraction blue was a special edition 3.0. I thought it was going to be a limited 2.0 before the actual announcement.

Naturally i went back and forth and stayed undecided. I finally lost patience because i anticipated the A91 would have huge markups. I am blown away that they don't in most cases. If i could've predicted the future, i would've waited. I thought this was going to be a haggling nightmare to get an A91 at MSRP like it was with the LE.

As a result, I went the cheaper route and decided to pick up 2020 premium in white back on March 1. I got a great deal on it (50k before taxes). This was before covid lockdowns took off, or anything like that. This was also before all these crazy dealer rebates that have been circulating since March.

Here I am months down the road, and i went full circle. I placed a 2500 deposit on the A91, and now i need to sell my 2020 since it's financed. I unlocked the DME, have two Ecutek maps by Mike Botti, DP, and some exterior CF pieces.

I am going to take a MAJOR loss on my 20. I am listing it locally as is to see if i can break out a little better than reverting to stock and trading it in. I had no idea how bad the market was for 20s right now.

The December/January time frame would allow me more time to work out a deal if that is accurate.

Final thoughts - Is the refraction blue worth taking a huge loss on my current car? I know it's really up to me, but i appreciate feedback too.

Opinions?
In my opinion, no. Not worth it. You're going to lose a ton of money for blue paint and stitching. Yours is already tuned so you're not getting the engine upgrade benefit. I'd stay put and see what the 2022 SE is.

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
In my opinion, no. Not worth it. You're going to lose a ton of money for blue paint and stitching. Yours is already tuned so you're not getting the engine upgrade benefit. I'd stay put and see what the 2022 SE is.
+1 & if you like your HUD you will miss it in the A91 :(

DaaS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, Lotus

Opinions?
I have a 2021 in Refraction Blue and love the color, but the straight up answer is "No". Stop reading this thread and enjoy the 2020 for another couple of years. The Supra will only improve over its lifespan. You will be taking a depreciation hit now and then another when you sell your 2021 Refraction Blue for a 2023 or 2024 model. By then, you may want a Cayman or a C8, who knows!

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
690df63888aa2adf1bad86ee57201410d7ab8851_00.gif

Spare a shipping VIN lookup, anyone?

joels740

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for feedback. I read in this thread someone speculating in a sarcastic way that it would be like Toyota to release the blue in standard color later on. That scares me too lol

I have a 2021 in Refraction Blue and love the color, but the straight up answer is "No". Stop reading this thread and enjoy the 2020 for another couple of years. The Supra will only improve over its lifespan. You will be taking a depreciation hit now and then another when you sell your 2021 Refraction Blue for a 2023 or 2024 model. By then, you may want a Cayman or a C8, who knows!
It's rough being a car guy lol. I suppose you have a point about the never ending cycle of getting into different cars and platforms. I didnt expect the used 20 market to be as bad as it is.

why don't you just wrap it blue?
No kidding. I actually have an appointment to wrap it at the end of the month. There is something about the kid in me that desires the rarity of the A91. Dumb analogy but i think Pokemon ruined my generation lmao (i'm 29)!. Something about having that mint holographic pokemon card compared to non holo. It's different ha. As it stands, im still booked to get wrapped.

IMO Save your money and keep modding your 20.

I appreciate the feedback! I'm going to sit on the idea for a while. More than likely i"ll stick with what i have. I just acted on impulse and put down the deposit. It's refundable luckily. Supposedly lol.. If and when i bail on the deal, i"ll create a thread with my sales guy's info. MSRP A91 in Colorado. Im sure another Southwest Region guy is in a better situation than me, and will gladly give my guy the sale.

joels740

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so a shipping / build vin is useless. thanks danny, back to being hopeless.
Are you looking for an A91 in Houston area? i know of a guy selling for MSRP. He has 3 sold waiting to be delivered, and is working on a 4th one. He was helping me out, but Colorado is closer for me than Houston.

I can get you his info. All refraction blue