On the fence about selling my A91-MT...

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If you are financially stable and have a second vehicle to use as the family car, why are you thinking about selling? Especially if you may have a third vehicle on the way?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MKVSAL

MKVSAL

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
If you are financially stable and have a second vehicle to use as the family car, why are you thinking about selling? Especially if you may have a third vehicle on the way?
The Tundra was ordered around the same time as the Supra. It was a whichever came first scenario since vehicles were so hard to get at that time. I placed an order on both. After I got the Supra I never cancelled the order on the tundra. If they called tomorrow I would have to decline it since I have the Supra and cannot afford both the Supra and the tundra at the same time. That would be financial suicide.

Yeah my wife has the SUV but what happens when she returns to work and Iā€™m with our kid? I need a family car at some point to take my kid places when my wife is busy. Thatā€™s where this idea to sell the Supra and get the tundra was born.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If you are at home and need a family car to run the kid around, wouldn't the wife just take the Supra?
Just saying that if you're willing to work for it, keeping the car and only having one family vehicle should work just fine.
If that's a bit more than you guys want to deal with, then the car has to go.

OP
OP
MKVSAL

MKVSAL

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
If you are at home and need a family car to run the kid around, wouldn't the wife just take the Supra?
Just saying that if you're willing to work for it, keeping the car and only having one family vehicle should work just fine.
If that's a bit more than you guys want to deal with, then the car has to go.
Good solution but my wife does not know how to drive manual. Plus itā€™s lowered on HKS coilovers which would be a disaster for her knowing her driving habits.

so yeah, I appreciate the feedback though. Weā€™ll see what I figure out šŸ‘šŸ¼.

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
You can afford to pay over msrp for the highest trim level supra but cant buy some beater pos to transport 2 people around?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Off topic sorry. But what front lip is that?

Keep it until you need to absolutely get a car with back seats. Enjoy it for next year ish. If the car ends production in the next couple of years I dont see value dropping to much. They're holding up pretty well even now.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Only thing I don't get is, you're saying what happens if wife has the car and you need to take the kid, hence why debating the tundra: but I can see two possible options in my opinion, since you asked:

1 - if it is just you and the child, you can have a child seat in the passenger seat, they come on and off in seconds.

2 - this is the bit I really don't get: why is the choice between a sports car and a giant truck (other than having an order placed)?
Like if you clearly like the Supra then you can get another sports car with 4 seats instead of totally giving up on having a nice sports car and totally migrating to a truck (you will miss the specialty of a sports car IMI) - like an M3 or M4, or Giulia Quadrifoglio, then you have the comfort of a sedan and the amazing performance to quench that thirst.
You mentioned previously you could almost afford both the GR and the Truck (c.ca 150k car loan overall), so cancelling the truck and financing the M3 being a few more bucks than the Supra should be no issue? You could keep the Supra and get by while you wait for the beamer. Champagne problem mate

Best wishes for the newborn and congratulations!

gabe_95

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0
Reading this whole thread put ME in a difficult situation šŸ˜…šŸ˜†

A lot of people made good points, and reason for them. That being said, I share the sentiment that lifeā€™s too short to go on without having oneā€™s dream car.

That CU Later is absolutely gorgeous and you got blessed by the allocation gods with it. Iā€™d definitely say keep it!! Enjoy it and all the smiles per gallon it brings.

I myself recently made the switch, I had a 2.0 Accord before and got my used 22ā€™ Supra about a month ago (I couldnā€™t wait on allocations and didnā€™t want to pay 10k over msrp) šŸ„².

Iā€™ve never been happier. Had the accord because I was thinking ahead, of having room in my car for the unexpected.. despite me not even having a wife yet šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s a fun car to drive and well worth the money spent!

With you having your finances in check and your wifeā€™s SUV as well, Iā€™d say stick with it. Like others pointed out, if youā€™d feel much better or find a need for that monetary boost, then Iā€™d get rid of it, but ONLY then.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on being a dad!

MisoSup

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I had the same thing happen to me almost 15 years ago. I had a 2 seat '92 turbo Z when I met my wife. This was my first big boy car and I loved it.

One thing led to another and we were expecting our first baby. I sold that car thinking it was the right thing to do. I've regretted it since. Took me almost 15 years to convince my wife to let me get another sports car.

I would keep it. It's grandfathered in!

mitchels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 FK8
You mentioned if you bought tundra you would have 140k in car loans. Thatā€™s a lot. I have 2 kids but both are in elementary school now. I would rather have little to no debt with kids. Day care is very expensive. Itā€™s nice to have financial flexibility so you can have more options. Maybe you realize that you need more space or move to house with better schools. But good thing is that you have time and can sell the Supra later when you need to.

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
I would keep it and revisit this decision in 4-5 years. Babies aren't too expensive but kids are.

SupraCess

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 GR Surpa and a turbocharged FRS
I agree bro. I had some wild and fun adventures in my last off road rig. I miss it.

Don't get me wrong, Iā€™m very happy I purchased the Supra. I just keep picturing all of the adventures to come with my little one and I canā€™t fit all 3 of us in the Supra šŸ˜….
Yeah, when your child is old enough to enjoy the Supra and sit the in seat without a carseat, it will be time for another project car.

Off-roading is something that I thought I would never like until I actually tried it. Man, my view has changed. I went twice this week.

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
First, congratulations.

As far as your debate of Supra vs. Tundra, I've owned a Miata for 6 years in a 3 person house and I can testify 2 seater secondary car works well. Basic logic is, that no matter where the three of you are, the family car is there. BUT i bought my Miata when my son was 13 and a little one really isn't safe in the front seat. And you will need to able to be able to drive them in your car no matter how well you plan things.

I suggest you enjoy the Supra until the Tundra arrives. Maybe a road trip, take it to a track, or something. Have a bit of fun before you have to let her go. Then come back when the kid is old enough to sit safely.

B58_ hwAyaq

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra (sold), 2023 F150 Tremor
@MKVSAL

This is kind of long, but I was/am in a similar spot with a young family and a need for speed.

I bought a 2020 Supra in Nov 2021 and we had our baby in Aug 2022. Fleet at that time was:
  • 2017 GTI (DSG)
  • 2020 Supra (8AT)
  • and a 2006 Pontiac G6
The GTI is a fine family hauler, but I was thinking about our future adventures, and like most on here, I have car habits, so I ordered a 2023 F150 Tremor in Nov 2022 and picked it up in Mar 2023 (sold the G6 along the way and the GTI a few days before picking up the truck).

Current Fleet:
  • 2020 Supra (8AT)
  • 2023 F150 Tremor
This is for me, my wife, and our baby.

We both WFH, and 95% of the time, the truck goes wherever the baby goes. If either of us are traveling without the baby, Supra it is!

Finances aside, there is a question of whether you'll be able to extract enough value from the Supra to justify its ownership. I don't go to weekend (night) car meets/races, drag strips, or autocross anymore. This is something my wife and I did together, so it's not really a thing where one of us just takes weekend duty. But because it's something we both did together, we're actively working to reincorporate (most) of this back in asap. The truck helps provide a comfortable support (and future tow) vehicle. If your wife is not driving it, and you find yourself deep into baby life, you might be cringing at your payment each month while the car sits since you don't even use it to commute to work.

Some people like having material items as trophies. Others like to consume their goods.

I'm not looking to rock crawl in my truck, but I love the idea of loading anything and everything I want for a family adventure on any terrain without thinking twice. I considered moving us to a G80 M3 and keeping the Pontiac G6 as a beater (before the truck), but I also learned quickly (my GTI was tuned) that with a baby in the car, I drive slow and boring anyways. I loved my GTI, but I didn't think twice about moving into a truck for family duty/adventures after just a couple of months into parenthood.

My suggestions:
  • Consider minimizing your fleet to the minimum needed to live the lifestyle you and your wife want. That should free up space and money regardless of what path you choose.
  • Consider how much you'll actually drive the Supra after having a baby (or wait it out and see for yourself)
  • Consider swapping to an AT Supra, trading the SUV for a truck, and keeping your motorcycle for so cal traffic
  • I'm biased, but consider an F150 Tremor over the Tundra TRD Pro. If you're objective, the internet has routinely placed the Tremor over the TRD Pro (less weight, more features, more off-road capable, etc.), and you can actually get your hands on them (new and used) for less than what the dealer will ask you for the elusive TRD Pro.

OP
OP
MKVSAL

MKVSAL

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT
Off topic sorry. But what front lip is that?

Keep it until you need to absolutely get a car with back seats. Enjoy it for next year ish. If the car ends production in the next couple of years I dont see value dropping to much. They're holding up pretty well even now.
The front lip is a Tomā€™s replica lip that I purchased from @NitroYellowMKV. Heā€™s the go to guy for any parts!

5495E697-D969-412F-BF4B-6051DE2D2E38.jpeg

CE2FA829-7141-46ED-8BD8-7325C0CF65E9.jpeg
Sponsored