Opinion of Current 2.0 and 3.0 Owners

splions

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tacoma
The car is so much fun to drive as is. The power can be scary at times. I may tune it when the warranty is up but it depends upon how much more power I can get. I am very happy with my Launch Edition.
Sponsored

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
The two cents worth is more than adequate for getting a wide view of opinions(and i don't mind the negative stuff either - want both sides). The 3.0 is the target probably a 21my whether used or new. Pulling the trigger will still be a ways off because i have a plan in place to get the vehicle and not have a bunch of "trailing debt" on top of the car purchase. Wished i had this "maturity' and the lack of a need to "measure dicks on the street" earlier in life but that's what "growing up" is all about........i value these opinions more so than all the "media" online because you guys actually own the cars.

Appreciate the input.....feel free to add. Will stop by from time to time until i pull the trigger...

johnny_10196

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford
This topic kind of harken back to the MK4 NA vs Turbo discussion. A lot of the NA owners I have met said if they had known back then what they know now (resale), they would have gladly paid extra for the GTE.

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
This topic kind of harken back to the MK4 NA vs Turbo discussion. A lot of the NA owners I have met said if they had known back then what they know now (resale), they would have gladly paid extra for the GTE.
I totally agree with this, I think the 2.0 is going to have a tough time on the resale market. One reason why if it were my choice I'd go with the 86 manual and have money for mods.

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Thanks "CarGuy"......the video about sums up the "jist" of this thread.......Got a text today from the Toyota dealer where i went and looked at the Supra......

They offered a lease of $489 for 3yrs. $2900 down for one of the 2.0 models they have in stock. Told the nice lady i was primarily interested in the 3.0........current lease offer for that is $670/mo 3yrs......Still going to wait.....sticking to my plan but D..n!!!! this is nice.

1607227416572.png

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
The car is so much fun to drive as is. The power can be scary at times. I may tune it when the warranty is up but it depends upon how much more power I can get. I am very happy with my Launch Edition.
Toyota could tune the chassis and suspension a little more to make the Supra a little more confidence inspiring.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Toyota could tune the chassis and suspension a little more to make the Supra a little more confidence inspiring.
the 2021 is fairly competent handling. Believe they eng out the wiggle and some bump steer etc

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
My honest opinion regarding this is, I dont see why you have to pay 42k for a 4 cylinder 255hp car. There are cheaper and lighter options which are much better. If saving money is priority then go for a BRZ/86/FRS or a type R or a golf GTI. The supra is supposed to be a 6 cylinder. The 2.0 is only 300lbs lighter than the 3.0. I think thats still a lot of unnecessary weight just because its a BMW underneath. For a 4 cylinder, get a bare bones car. 86 weighs only 2800 lbs. I know its still less power but its a good car for the price. If one is thinking of 4 cylinder sports cars I think weight should be given priority over engine power. But for 6 cylinders, the supra is powerful and light. its a very good choice...

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
"2021 Toyota Supra 2.0 Dyno Results",

So, i am adding a little more "clarity" to consider for this thread.......after checking out this thread, i had some thoughts: the power difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 does not mean anywhere near as much as does the price of the 2.0T. Even if i were paying cash, that is a lot of money for a 4cyl. to justify.....but, i like the hell out of the Supra enough to consider it. if "top dog at the stoplight" were my main objective, i would shoot for a "Scatpak" or an "SS" camaro (ZL1 to me is just an overpriced camaro even with the extra horses).....

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
"2021 Toyota Supra 2.0 Dyno Results",

So, i am adding a little more "clarity" to consider for this thread.......after checking out this thread, i had some thoughts: the power difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 does not mean anywhere near as much as does the price of the 2.0T. Even if i were paying cash, that is a lot of money for a 4cyl. to justify.....but, i like the hell out of the Supra enough to consider it. if "top dog at the stoplight" were my main objective, i would shoot for a "Scatpak" or an "SS" camaro (ZL1 to me is just an overpriced camaro even with the extra horses).....
A Cayman/Boxster with a 4 cylinder is a lot more expensive than a 4 cylinder Supra lol.
A Scatpack might be quick at a light, but that's also the only thing it can do. And it's 15 years old on the inside. I do like the widebody though.
An STI Limited is just as expensive, a 4 cylinder, nowhere near as fast as a 2.0 Supra, and interior quality doesn't come close.

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Funny question here but, how important is sound to you? In my opinion, the 3.0 sounds glorious. The 2.0 sounds like a million other turbo 4s.
Doesn't matter a darn bit......i like the idea of being the "silent type".......on some cars, the sound adds to the "aura" but others, particularly on some "custom" exhausts, just makes a bunch of noise....They started up both versions (2.0/3.0) at the dealer(trying to get a rise...) and I wasn't persuaded one way or the other. Sure in "sport", there would have been a big difference. Anyway, i owned a '93 RX7(the F&F one) turbo (believe it, 255hp @ 2900lbs), and it didn't sound any better than a Kia forte, but that little rotary "walked silent and carried a big stick".....that is what a 'vette of the same model yr found out the hard way.....hehehehe. IF the 2.0 Supra could match THAT car (straight and curves), i would take my money to the dealer in the morning.......and even though it may appear to come close, a test drive would have to go overboard to convince me.....that car was nothing short of a dream,......vette-get outta here, cayman/boxter - not enough bricks in the back pocket, and on & on & on..........

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Doesn't matter a darn bit......i like the idea of being the "silent type".......on some cars, the sound adds to the "aura" but others, particularly on some "custom" exhausts, just makes a bunch of noise....They started up both versions (2.0/3.0) at the dealer(trying to get a rise...) and I wasn't persuaded one way or the other. Sure in "sport", there would have been a big difference. Anyway, i owned a '93 RX7(the F&F one) turbo (believe it, 255hp @ 2900lbs), and it didn't sound any better than a Kia forte, but that little rotary "walked silent and carried a big stick".....that is what a 'vette of the same model yr found out the hard way.....hehehehe. IF the 2.0 Supra could match THAT car (straight and curves), i would take my money to the dealer in the morning.......and even though it may appear to come close, a test drive would have to go overboard to convince me.....that car was nothing short of a dream,......vette-get outta here, cayman/boxter - not enough bricks in the back pocket, and on & on & on..........
It's actually a really good comparison. If Mazda designed the mk5 instead and threw in a rotary, and connected the taillights, you'd have the perfect modern FD. I owned one as well I can promise you, of any modern car I've driven, the Supra is the closest thing to an FD. I haven't driven the 2.0 just the 3.0 though.
Sound wise there's nothing south of an exotic that sounds better than an opened up rotary. The Supra sounds "good" but my rotaries sounded phenomenal.
Sponsored

Reactions: max