Opinion of Current 2.0 and 3.0 Owners

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I think keep in mind a lot of people who have purchased the 3.0 might also be more against the 2.0 in part to pull themselves away as far as they can from the 2.0.

I mean lets be honest, the 2.0 actually goes against everything that makes it a Supra. I believe this was Toyota's way of giving us a "turbo 86" because Subaru would never do it. A turbo BRZ would completely eat into the WRX and STI sales.

At the end of the day is the 2.0 a good car? Actually yes, it does a lot of things right. It has more wheel options, it has slightly different balance which affects the track ability, you dont lose anything by going to coilovers, and you still get a good tough engine in the B48 which can make decent power when tuned. Not everyone cares about having a 6cyl engine. There are plenty of people out there who would take the 10k difference and spend it on mods and a tune and make the same power as a stock 3.0 or more.
Sponsored

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
Not everyone cares about having a 6cyl engine. There are plenty of people out there who would take the 10k difference and spend it on mods and a tune and make the same power as a stock 3.0 or more.
I can see this.......again, owned mustang(5.0 fox body - fun car as well), camaro, and then, the RX7.....now.... a Stinger which is pretty much a bridge to something better (Supra)....the v6 version in this car gets the same "pub" with owners as does the 3.0 Supra but i didn't care about a V6 at the time because i knew I was gunning for something else in the future and didn't want to wait(with the '21 Supra, glad i did). Since no one has.......i may just do a test drive in the 2.0 so that i can report back......i may be in trouble if the 2.0 can match the RX7.......

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
The differences is $8k, not $10k :p Anyways, my 2 cent is take them both for a test drive and see which one you like better.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

These guys actually give a pretty good review of the 2.0 and even compare it to the 86 which i appreciated.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Europe is getting the 2.0 Fuji Speedway edition, with the 19 inch LE wheels, the 3.0 variable suspension, and the active diff.

I'm betting we will get something with similar specs for the 22 MY.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Europe is getting the 2.0 Fuji Speedway edition, with the 19 inch LE wheels, the 3.0 variable suspension, and the active diff.

I'm betting we will get something with similar specs for the 22 MY.
I believe one of the mods did say Toyota North America was open for additional options for the 2.0. However, how much would the price increase by? At what point does it just really makes sense to just op for the 3.0? :dunno:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I believe one of the mods did say Toyota North America was open for additional options for the 2.0. However, how much would the price increase by? At what point does it just really makes sense to just op for the 3.0? :dunno:
It depends on what you want I guess. The exclusivity of a limited edition, or the most bang for your buck. Maybe they'll add a "track pack" option to the regular 2.0 that adds an LSD. Who knows. We'll find out in a few months.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
So many 2.0 haters here!! ?

I think keep in mind a lot of people who have purchased the 3.0 might also be more against the 2.0 in part to pull themselves away as far as they can from the 2.0.
This comment is bang on. Does that make the 2.0 a bad car? Absolutely not.
Of course if money is not an issue the 3.0 is the better car, just like the 2.0 is better than the 86.

As someone who doesn't preach on the Fast 'n Furious Supra name, I saw the 2.0 for what it is, the best option to upgrade my FR-S, which I can still use as a daily all year long (even carry my skis inside the car) and without breaking the bank.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So many 2.0 haters here!! ?

This comment is bang on. Does that make the 2.0 a bad car? Absolutely not.
Of course if money is not an issue the 3.0 is the better car, just like the 2.0 is better than the 86.

As someone who doesn't preach on the Fast 'n Furious Supra name, I saw the 2.0 for what it is, the best option to upgrade my FR-S, which I can still use as a daily all year long (even carry my skis inside the car) and without breaking the bank.
I'd love to get your thoughts on the 2.0 compared to the 86. I owned a BRZ back in 2016 and loved that car. Even supercharged it at one point for more power but went back to NA after realizing the engine just didnt seem like it could handle it. I loved that car and had a lot of fun with it but i'm curious what you think being that you did the straight upgrade.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
I'd love to get your thoughts on the 2.0 compared to the 86. I owned a BRZ back in 2016 and loved that car. Even supercharged it at one point for more power but went back to NA after realizing the engine just didnt seem like it could handle it. I loved that car and had a lot of fun with it but i'm curious what you think being that you did the straight upgrade.
So first of, my FR-S was stock (I'm not really into the tuning scene) and it was auto. In this day and age with automatic transmissions being so technologically advanced and traffic getting worse in the cities, I don't bother with manual transmissions anymore, so the "no manual no buy" argument doesn't apply with me.

First obvious and biggest difference is torque, which was probably one of my only complaints about the FR-S.
Second biggest difference....the interior and technology, which is basically the same as the 3.0
Ride quality I'd say is about the same but I've been driving semi-stiff vehicles for years now so it doesn't bother me. I've heard this is one the noticeable improvements in the 3.0 due to the adaptive suspension.
Fun factor and driving impressions I'd say will be very similar giving the edge to the 2.0 due to the higher power and torque but the FR-S was already tough to beat in this category considering its price point.
The looks goes to the Supra and even more so after seeing the 2022 BRZ, which didn't impress me at all.
In conclusion, I have no regrets.....I appreciate the increase in power and torque which is more than enough for most situations without compromising on how much fun the FR-S was to drive, especially on mountain roads.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
nice! In my head i always imagined the 2.0 as Toyota's "turbo 86". The great thing to is that the Supra has an even shorter wheelbase than the 86 which gives it better turn in. Match that with the Supra technically being a Front Mid-engine car, the way it handles weight is very different from the 3.0. The Supra also has a lower center of gravity than the 86. Theres so much about the 2.0 that makes it such a good turbo 4 sports car. If i didnt fall in love with inline 6 engines because of my M2 Competition and if the 2.0 came with a bit more of the tech the 3.0 does, it would have been a serious contender for me. But i already have a fun little inline 4 with my S2000 so the 2.0 was a hard sell for me which is why i went with the 3.0.

OP
OP

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
you guys are trying to make the decision difficult....... i like the BRZ/FR-S but have never driven one. The basic rep. is "fun" which would give the 2.0 Supra some cred.....i have seen some reviews that basically say if the 2.0 had a manual/LSD, the choice would have no doubt been the 2.0 instead of the 3.0. Still think the preference is the 3.0 for the power but a test drive of the two will make the final call.

SupraBC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 2.0
you guys are trying to make the decision difficult....... i like the BRZ/FR-S but have never driven one. The basic rep. is "fun" which would give the 2.0 Supra some cred.....i have seen some reviews that basically say if the 2.0 had a manual/LSD, the choice would have no doubt been the 2.0 instead of the 3.0. Still think the preference is the 3.0 for the power but a test drive of the two will make the final call.
I still think that for most situations the power of the 2.0 is more than enough, unless you plan to take it to the track, in which case is a no brainer.
I haven't driven the 3.0 and I've had mine for less than a month, but to Xxyion's point, people who have driven both agree that the 2.0 has better turn in and the weight loss is noticeable which I'd argue is more desirable than the extra power on twisty roads.
The only thing I really wish I could take from the 3.0 is the sound but for a 4 cylinder the 2.0 doesn't sound too bad.
Sponsored