Opinions of the Mark 2 Guys:

oldbutslow

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Motorcycle Guy
The Mark 2 was the model that really kindled my attention to Supras. Whenever I saw one, it stopped me dead in my tracks. That wing/spoiler, positioned over the back glass, was so revolutionary while the rest of the car was equally stunning. Even while the later generations added to the mystique, it is the Mark 2's legacy that they exist. Now that a new generation is getting ready to appear, I would enjoy hearing from their owners. Thanks.
Sponsored

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
A61 will always be my favourite. I think iv head 4-5 of them now. Still have one. A80 pretty close though, such a strong overall package.

I'm excited about the A90 because I understand each generation of supra brings something a little different to the table... And because the interior reminds me of the A60

SupraStew85

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1985 Supra (1jz vvti swap incoming) 2004 V8 4Runner
My dad bought a mk2 new back in 1984 and drove that car for 33 years and 330,000km before finally selling it. I have so many childhood memories of being beyond excited to take a ride in his car, with those sharp chiseled lines and a buttery smooth inline 6. Eventually when I turned 16 I went out and bought my own Supra. After driving thousands of kilometres to look at many many haggard rotten mk2's (a common thing up here in Canada). I finally found my dream Supra, I didn't stop smiling the entire time we were there, it was the exact spec that I dreampt about for years: 5 speed P type, with super deep red paint, grey cloth interior and analog gauges.

7 years later that car is 100% of the reason that I still have a love affair with Toyota and the Supra. Although maintained extremely well I drove that car HARD in the summer months. Over 50,000km of my own personal torture/enjoyment that 35 year old car was more reliable then any performance cars my friends had that were half the age and milage. It isn't fast stock, but with a proper set of coil-overs and a good exhaust+headers that car can carve like a maniac and sound the part as well. I'm excited to embark on my vvti 1jz swap for it this summer to finally have my own dream Supra.

In some ways the A90 does give me a little bit of A60 flavour in regards to dash design and some other little features. Keeping in mind that the last supra was made over 20 years ago I think Toyota has done a great job of keeping the "supra look" in a modern era where regulations and budget constraints is king. Im extremely excited to test drive an A90 and see how it feels myself. Although I'm still holding out for a manual, I think the car looks really good and with some basic bolt ons we can have a (hopefully) dead reliable rocket ship, that can inspire another generation much like how I was inspired by the mk2 years ago.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
The A60 was the car that made me fall in love with cars. I'm not kidding.

I grew up in a car family. My dad and his brothers were neck deep into vintage 50's and 60's American iron. I didn't care much for the 50's cars. I really wasn't interested in land yachts with tail fins. I definitely liked the 60's muscle and pony cars, but even then I tended to gravitate towards the less popular models that would make my dad's eyes roll.

Then one 4th of July, my older cousins rolled up in a brand new black MK2 Supra. I was captivated. It looked like something from the future had pulled into our driveway. I loved the car inside and out. After the BBQ my cousin took me for a spin down a windy back country road. Honestly the acceleration didn't impress me at all. I had already spent plenty of time slammed into the seat of my dad's cars. But this strange and foreign Supra did two things my dad's cars couldn't do: go around corners and stop. I was done.

I never ended up ever getting one (maybe one day), but that car changed the arc of my automotive history.

OP
OP

oldbutslow

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Motorcycle Guy
An item that I think both cars share is the uniqueness of the design. You wouldn't confuse a MK2 Supra with anything else on the road. The MK5 car has a front end design that is also unlike anything on the market. Also, the refined straight 6-cyclinder engine was unlike the typical "stove bolt" sixes of agricultural design. Obviously, the MK5 engine more than carries the tradition.

McWicked

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stutz Bearcat
Vehicle Showcase
An item that I think both cars share is the uniqueness of the design. You wouldn't confuse a MK2 Supra with anything else on the road. The MK5 car has a front end design that is also unlike anything on the market. Also, the refined straight 6-cyclinder engine was unlike the typical "stove bolt" sixes of agricultural design. Obviously, the MK5 engine more than carries the tradition.
So true. Like a lot of kids growing up in America, I had zero appreciation for inline sixes. A straight six is what you yanked out of a Chevelle before dropping in a small block V8. Then I went to college. More specifically I majored in mechanical engineering. To put a finer point on it, I took an elective class called Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engine Design. My eyes were opened...

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
From many perspectives, the inline 6 is the perfect motor.

The 5mge doesn't get much respect from people that haven't spent a significant amount of time behind one, but their buttery smooth power delivery, great torque at every RPM, beautiful engine note (with a good aftermarket exhaust and or header) and utterly epic reliability make them a great trusted and loved companion by many. Not to compare the motor to the comparatively archaic 22r, but the truck guys feel very similarly about that motor, they get it. And unlike 2jzge's, their relatively low stock specs leave lots of room for mods to be effective. The 5m\6m is a pretty satisfying motor to mod (once you realize the stock ecu and AFM can only deal with about a 15% increase in VE flow before it is useless and requires standalone to go further).

As a mk2 guy, I don't see much in the new car to attach to. Beyond the smaller size, lighter weight and supposed better track manners vs the mk4/3s. All of which is going to be marginal compared to the difference of a mk4 vs mk2. Basically the mk5 is a reboot of the turbo mk4 built on a smaller platform. There really isn't anything, except perhaps the coincidence of the similarities of the interiors (I'm not convinced they were taking influence from the mk2) to tie those 2 gens together. Maybe the mk5 will steal the crown of best Supra seats from the mk2, they do look really nice. The mk4's seats were pretty much useless from a sporting perspective, and the mk3s seats were basically an obscenely heavy, powered version of the mk2's seats (that analogy works well extended to the entire car too lol). Part of me for sure would have liked a reboot of the mk2, but the 2000s was the time to do that (like Nissan did with the 350/370z), now making a low cost mk4 is obviously the way to go. They got it "lower" anyways.

I'm here because I've always loved mk4s as well. I've had 20 Supras total, don't think that number will be changing soon though.
Sponsored

Last edited: