Painted strut tower braces?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Who's done this and what paint did you use? Regular aluminum specific paint/primer or does it get too hot under the hood? Would a hi-temp paint be needed? I'm not a fan of the unfinished aluminum look and would like to paint mine of matte black to match the rest of the under hood trim pieces.
Sponsored

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Your right. The braces look like an after thought in aluminum. Kind of unfinished looking.

You don't need hi-temp. Matte black is pretty forgiving. A good rattle-can matte black for metal would work. Krylon and Rust-Oleum both make an all-in-one with primer. Most home improvement stores and auto parts stores will have it. Just break the finish with a fine scuff pad and clean with alcohol before spraying. Multiple light coats is better than heavier coats.

Since you are painting? Have you considered maybe a red that matches the trim on the engine cover?

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Your right. The braces look like an after thought in aluminum. Kind of unfinished looking.

You don't need hi-temp. Matte black is pretty forgiving. A good rattle-can matte black for metal would work. Krylon and Rust-Oleum both make an all-in-one with primer. Most home improvement stores and auto parts stores will have it. Just break the finish with a fine scuff pad and clean with alcohol before spraying. Multiple light coats is better than heavier coats.

Since you are painting? Have you considered maybe a red that matches the trim on the engine cover?
Thanks! I actually did think about red too. I have a roll of red duct tape somewhere. I think I'll wrap them with it to get an idea how it would look.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
They really do look cheap as it comes from the factory. I considered painting these, but just said WTH, I'll go with billet braces. Not that expensive.
IMG_2390.jpeg
Hey bro do the stock strut bars on the 2021 screw in with E14 bolts? Where did you get these bars I like them!

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
Hey bro do the stock strut bars on the 2021 screw in with E14 bolts? Where did you get these bars I like them!
The stock braces screw in with E16 bolts, if I recall. I have a set of e-torx sockets and I just choose the one that fit and didn't look too-closely at the size.

The billet braces can be found here.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Thanks! I actually did think about red too. I have a roll of red duct tape somewhere. I think I'll wrap them with it to get an idea how it would look.
Paint is easy and cheap. You can always change it up. Post some pics after you pain them.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
They really do look cheap as it comes from the factory. I considered painting these, but just said WTH, I'll go with billet braces. Not that expensive.
IMG_2390.jpeg
The billet ones look much better. Price is right too. You can probably sell the factory ones to a 2020 owner. Might not get too much but better than nothing.

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The stock braces screw in with E16 bolts, if I recall. I have a set of e-torx sockets and I just choose the one that fit and didn't look too-closely at the size.

The billet braces can be found here.
Thanks bro! Looking at it and the 2021 does mount the braces differently so it’s easy! I got a e-Torx socket set though and I saw a YouTube video where it was a E14 bolt but maybe they had it wrong so it’s all good! Now I am tempted to go with the red billet braces or keep is stealth with the black....anybody know the torq settings for the braces?

Looking at the reviews and the red color does not match the red on the engine cover so I will probably just go with the black! I think black will look better anyways. I already got a red aluminum oil cap cover which pretty much matches the red strips on the engine cover! Black will look better with a red car too...contrast!

345A2197-F75C-4ED5-B893-18DCA33F5BF2.jpeg

That stock silver just looks bad!

Last edited:
OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Paint is easy and cheap. You can always change it up. Post some pics after you pain them.
I will. Supposed to be in the 60s this weekend. Might be a Saturday project.

OP
OP

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B20F085F-3C7E-4C7A-8058-89EEC7BED1C1.jpeg
48ACA749-7EE6-4160-AAAC-D394CA0C2BAF.jpeg
A4727AA0-EFCC-4AF7-BDCC-50D6C822DC16.jpeg

Wow looks good! Glad I went with the black! Super easy to install and it’s a E14 bolt on the 2021 Supra’s! Still not sure what the toque specs are but I am thinking 21 ft lbs! The stock one were not on there too tight.
Sponsored