Pick up a deeply discounted 2020 or what for MY2021?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
last time I checked, you were trying to be a 2020 owner but waiting for never coming 0% finance rate come your way. You can keep waiting for your 2021 that has stopped production. And also your $1,000 down deposit while we are all enjoying our 2020’s.
Sounds like your the salty one. Until then, you can go enjoy your VW...
I'm not salty lol. The $1000 is transferrable to whatever I want ;) And if a deal on a 2020 gets good enough, I'll take one. Otherwise I'll wait for the A91. I'm in no hurry. I sold the GTI to make room in my garage for the Supra. Got a great price for it too since I sold it before the Covid-19 outbreak. But not to worry, I have a few other cars to enjoy. Since you're keeping tabs on my cars and my finances, I figured I'd fill you in.

no point to argue with him, he already has $1,000 down to order a 2021..... hahahaha
Like I said, it's transferrable.

last time I checked, Toyota sell better than BMW’s. And a Supra is made by Toyota.
You better go check again who makes a Supra lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
The dealers in my area don’t seem to be discounting much yet. A dealer in Austin TX had a blue one for 2K off that had sat around long enough to have a dead battery.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The dealers in my area don’t seem to be discounting much yet. A dealer in Austin TX had a blue one for 2K off that had sat around long enough to have a dead battery.
Yup lol. I walked into the dealership the other day to grease some wheels and see the lay of the land, right as they were charging the battery on a showroom model.

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’m thinking that across the board deep discounts won’t be in effect until the 2021 models have a price or if the dealers really get desperate to move cars.

I had written the Supra off for the first year because of all the markups and such.

The only reason I went to go see and drive the car what’s when I found out Downshift Blue was gone for 2021.

I’m going to keep watching to see if a blue one pops up for the right price, if not I’m fine with waiting.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
Has it been confirmed that the Magna factory in Austria is shutdown? On M2 forums some have speculated that new M2s on lots won't ever see much of a discount. Even if they sit for months. Equal parts because it's already a low volume niche car, and that with the factory shutdown (assumed) it's now become even more rare with no new inventory coming in the near future.

In the case of the GR Supra I'd argue it's a lot less rare with something like 1,500 available new in the US. That said there's a hell of a lot more Camrys and SUVs for Toyota to worry about clearing out right now. So I'm betting you'll see much better discounts on those vehicles vs the Supra.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Has it been confirmed that the Magna factory in Austria is shutdown? On M2 forums some have speculated that new M2s on lots won't ever see much of a discount. Even if they sit for months. Equal parts because it's already a low volume niche car, and that with the factory shutdown (assumed) it's now become even more rare with no new inventory coming in the near future.

In the case of the GR Supra I'd argue it's a lot less rare with something like 1,500 available new in the US. That said there's a hell of a lot more Camrys and SUVs for Toyota to worry about clearing out right now. So I'm betting you'll see much better discounts on those vehicles vs the Supra.
It is shutdown. But at the same time, who says there's not a lot filled with '21 Supra's waiting to be shipped out? If it's true there's a 7 month supply waiting to be shipped, there will be Supra's coming to dealerships till at least November.

alan7467

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium
It is shutdown. But at the same time, who says there's not a lot filled with '21 Supra's waiting to be shipped out? If it's true there's a 7 month supply waiting to be shipped, there will be Supra's coming to dealerships till at least November.
Hadn't thought of the fact that the '21s may already have been produced in appreciable quantities and are ready for delivery. I wonder how many '20s are sitting somewhere waiting to ship as well?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hadn't thought of the fact that the '21s may already have been produced in appreciable quantities and are ready for delivery. I wonder how many '20s are sitting somewhere waiting to ship as well?
No idea. There could be 1000's sitting at ports all over the world.

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
That's strange. They are taking off $5k at my dealer without any additional model/brand discounts at the moment and it sounds like I'm going to be able to do even better than that.
7k off in Carlsbad, CA. Premium 3.0 with CF mirror caps. MSRP, 57k, and they are selling for 50k. They had 3 cars last I checked.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
It all depends on how long you want to wait or how much money you want to save... the 2020's prices have plummeted..... You either buy a 2020 now and save a lot of money or wait whenever the 2021 comes out. There is no telling with this stupid virus...
They stll got 2020's coming into the dealerships now. With rare colors as well (grey, and matte grey)

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For me, the only reason to buy a 2020 is Downshift Blue. Otherwise, the 2021 may be better on paper, or maybe even behind the wheel but both cars are awesome and getting one now versus later is really all about personal preferences and circumstances.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
For me, the only reason to buy a 2020 is Downshift Blue. Otherwise, the 2021 may be better on paper, or maybe even behind the wheel but both cars are awesome and getting one now versus later is really all about personal preferences and circumstances.
We’ll known on May 13th how the new one drives - that’s when the journalist embargo ends.

There’s an embargo on pricing info until June apparently.

Kendogg

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
I'd argue that it's the opposite. Toyota needs to worry about clearing out some Supras, and worry less about their more popular vehicles.

These numbers are just a rough estimate and based on prior corona quarter one sales:

Camry
Quarter 1 sales: 77,000
Average monthly sales: 25,667
Current inventory: 38,279
= 1.5 months worth of inventory

Rav4
Quarter 1 sales: 97,631
Average monthly sales: 32,544
Current inventory: 34,145
= 1 months worth of inventory

Supra
Quarter 1 sales: 1013
Average monthly sales: 338
Current inventory: 1427
= 4.2 months worth of inventory

Personally, I believe the Supra sales will probably be closer to 200 a month for these next few month. You can argue they may have closer to 7 months worth of inventory and possibly plenty of 21's ready for delivery in a couple of months.

I believe the general rule, is you want around 2 months worth of inventory. It doesn't look like Toyota needs to apply to much discounts to the camry's or other vehicles. If any vehicle needs help right now moving inventory, it is the Supra.

Supra60

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius Prime, Toyota Rav4
I'd argue that it's the opposite. Toyota needs to worry about clearing out some Supras, and worry less about their more popular vehicles.

These numbers are just a rough estimate and based on prior corona quarter one sales:

Camry
Quarter 1 sales: 77,000
Average monthly sales: 25,667
Current inventory: 38,279
= 1.5 months worth of inventory

Rav4
Quarter 1 sales: 97,631
Average monthly sales: 32,544
Current inventory: 34,145
= 1 months worth of inventory

Supra
Quarter 1 sales: 1013
Average monthly sales: 338
Current inventory: 1427
= 4.2 months worth of inventory

Personally, I believe the Supra sales will probably be closer to 200 a month for these next few month. You can argue they may have closer to 7 months worth of inventory and possibly plenty of 21's ready for delivery in a couple of months.

I believe the general rule, is you want around 2 months worth of inventory. It doesn't look like Toyota needs to apply to much discounts to the camry's or other vehicles. If any vehicle needs help right now moving inventory, it is the Supra.
I Agee with you 100 percent, they definitely need to do something for the Supra to move them. Discount and zero percent is my guess. Maybe some great deal on a lease to get them off the lot might help also.
Sponsored