Pick up a deeply discounted 2020 or what for MY2021?

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '21 Lexus RX450H. '08 Lexus GX470
Vehicle Showcase
$7k off is a good deal either way you slice it. If you get what you want for your trade, and you're happy with the deal, that's all that matters.
I am going to try and make it happen without a trade. I like my Tacoma too much and the wife digs the GX. So, the Taco will live outside. We have a 3rd car I could drive now as a daily and in shitty weather, a 2008 Sable ( our ‘spare car’ ) but I would rather not. Lol I am hoping to keep the Taco and sell the spare for performance parts for the Supra. I will order catless downpipe, mhd, meth injection, spacers and lowering springs right off the bat in any case. Selling the spare would just make that easier.
Sponsored

SwagBaybee

First Name
Willl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tacoma, Sonoma, BMW
My local dealerships has 4 and is willing to take $7k off. But they are kind of lowballing my trade by $2k. And they are getting a $1k kickback from Toyota. SO really, they are taking around $4k off. I'm just going to wait. Probably wait until the 2021's hit the lot.
Dealership will either give you a higher discount and lower allowance on your trade-in or lower discount but higher allowance on your trade-in. Also, during this economic downturn, it's hard enough for them to get rid of new cars in their lots, let alone taking in another old trade-in to add another car to their lot.

Best bet is to keep your old car or sell it on your own. Buy the new Supra for cash if you can (don't tell the dealer until you negotiated to the final out-the-door price, then pay with cash in the finance office) or just finance.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership will either give you a higher discount and lower allowance on your trade-in or lower discount but higher allowance on your trade-in. Also, during this economic downturn, it's hard enough for them to get rid of new cars in their lots, let alone taking in another old trade-in to add another car to their lot.

Best bet is to keep your old car or sell it on your own. Buy the new Supra for cash if you can (don't tell the dealer until you negotiated to the final out-the-door price, then pay with cash in the finance office) or just finance.
I hear you there, but if I had to put up a trade, it would be my 2020 Tacoma. So I don't think they'd give me a hard time on that. We'll see though. Going to see if finances come out right for me to keep the Tacoma as that is the plan currently.

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
The car industry in general right now is in the tank. If dealers aren't willing to make ridiculous deals they will be in the next month or two. I've inquired about a couple Supra's locally along with some other cars I'm interested in. Not any good enough deals to jump into something at the moment.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The car industry in general right now is in the tank. If dealers aren't willing to make ridiculous deals they will be in the next month or two. I've inquired about a couple Supra's locally along with some other cars I'm interested in. Not any good enough deals to jump into something at the moment.
I think you're probably right. I'm talking to my sales person right now to see if we can meet at a decent price. I really want to keep the Tacoma as well but I"m not 100% sure I can make it happen. Just in case I've asked to see what they would give me on trade. If the give me an amazing deal on trade I may just do it and not look back.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I think you're probably right. I'm talking to my sales person right now to see if we can meet at a decent price. I really want to keep the Tacoma as well but I"m not 100% sure I can make it happen. Just in case I've asked to see what they would give me on trade. If the give me an amazing deal on trade I may just do it and not look back.
They will most likely give you under what you want at the moment. The last thing they want is more stock to sit on their lot doing nothing. You're better off selling privately. See what their offer is, and if it's too low, start listing. I sold my GTI beforehand too. You think you're getting a good deal, only to get fucked on the back end. Take that out of their hands. Control as much of the deal as possible, they need your business more than you need them, because there's literally a 1000 more to get with the same discount.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They will most likely give you under what you want at the moment. The last thing they want is more stock to sit on their lot doing nothing. You're better off selling privately. See what their offer is, and if it's too low, start listing. I sold my GTI beforehand too. You think you're getting a good deal, only to get fucked on the back end. Take that out of their hands. Control as much of the deal as possible, they need your business more than you need them, because there's literally a 1000 more to get with the same discount.
Agreed. I am going to give them a chance, but if the deal isn't right I have no problem keeping the Taco or selling privately.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
*Update*

Offer on the truck was not enough for trade in, @Dannyvandelft called that.

They are willing to give me $7k off MSRP on the Supra. I'm not sure that's enough either and he says that's what it is currently. He's going to "talk to his boss" but he's fairly confident they won't come off any more than that.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to sit on it right now and wait. As much as I want it.

Last edited:

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the question is, how low do they go on these? They won't be allocated '21s until the '20s are off the lots. How long do you wait? Hrmmm....

Mountain_Bound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
16' Wrangler Rubicon, 13' 4Runner Trail, 13' R56S
I guess the question is, how low do they go on these? They won't be allocated '21s until the '20s are off the lots. How long do you wait? Hrmmm....
I think that's a tough one. Like anything these days, something better is right around the corner and as far as the Supra goes, we all now know that is absolutely true with the 2021's. Problem being, if a person is to constantly wait for the next best thing you will miss out on a lot of fun you could be having NOW. I'm guilty of doing this as well, even with other hobbies I'm into. I still have yet to drive a Supra. Not sure if anyone is doing test drives around here. One local dealer has their premium still at $66k LOL. As for myself on buying a Supra, I'm considering the depreciation of these mk5's. I personally like the car and know plenty of other people do too, but it has been one of the most controversial car releases that I can remember. I worry this will effect the future value. I'm not someone that can take a 40-50% loss at the 3-5 year mark if I was to sell, also reason I'm not going out and buying a new AMG of whatever flavor. I don't know how people are able to stomach that, guess they have bigger bank accounts than me.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think that's a tough one. Like anything these days, something better is right around the corner and as far as the Supra goes, we all now know that is absolutely true with the 2021's. Problem being, if a person is to constantly wait for the next best thing you will miss out on a lot of fun you could be having NOW. I'm guilty of doing this as well, even with other hobbies I'm into. I still have yet to drive a Supra. Not sure if anyone is doing test drives around here. One local dealer has their premium still at $66k LOL. As for myself on buying a Supra, I'm considering the depreciation of these mk5's. I personally like the car and know plenty of other people do too, but it has been one of the most controversial car releases that I can remember. I worry this will effect the future value. I'm not someone that can take a 40-50% loss at the 3-5 year mark if I was to sell, also reason I'm not going out and buying a new AMG of whatever flavor. I don't know how people are able to stomach that, guess they have bigger bank accounts than me.
I think that's my biggest hesitation right now. I'm just not sure how these are going to be valued in the long run. I certainly don't see cars in general as a "good investment" but I also don't want to loose my ass if something happens and it needs sold. I know I'm going to mod it and I know mod's also don't add value generally so I know I'm also going to take a decent hit on that as well. So I'm in a "rock and hard place" situation where I don't know if I want to pull the trigger or hold my ground. I am not sure the '21 is that much better. It's better, but only marginally so from what I understand. Especially once you consider modifications. So that only add's to the urge to not wait.

Lastly, I just saw someone in a facebook group I'm in paid $5k over MSRP for a launch edition which makes me think I should just pull the trigger if I am going to pull the trigger at all. If I don't pull the trigger all I loose is time. But, is that lost time worth it? Decisions, decisions.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So, out of curiosity I went searching and found this cars dealer invoice price is $49,132. So they are offering me this car for just above invoice.

joels740

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium Absolute Zero
So, out of curiosity I went searching and found this cars dealer invoice price is $49,132. So they are offering me this car for just above invoice.
i used this website when shopping for mine. Gives you an options tab where you check box accessories or features the car has. It also gives you invoice price, MSRP, and a suggested target. I got mine for 50,300 in February right before covid took off.

https://www.carquotes.com/new-prices/toyota/gr-supra/2020/30-premium-auto#Summary

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
If you can comfortably swing the payment for both, I'd pick up the Supra and sell the Taco privately.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
If you can comfortably swing the payment for both, I'd pick up the Supra and sell the Taco privately.
very good advice. I would never trade a car into the dealership. Like DannyV said, they will adjust your price and trade price to the point where it looks you got a better deal but then the back end, your getting screwed... Better to sell it separately..
Sponsored