Possible strut top mount/top hat assembly damage

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
I am hoping someone with more knowledge than me can shed some light on to an issue I’m having.

I had installed the HKS adjustable lowering springs myself on my car over the weekend, however there is gnarly noise coming from the driver front area. Everything has been double and triple checked to be tight and secure.

I had taken it to a proper shop to diagnose the issue and they and told me 2 of the 4 holes seem to be stripped. They have also confirmed that everything is tight and bolted down to spec. However, 2 bolts on the fender side seem to spin and won’t get to spec.

I put a feeler out on the Facebook pages locally to see if anyone has a replacement top mount. Dealership says 2-3 weeks out.

Upon looking at the part online/photo it seems to me that the top mount may just need to be rotated?
Does anyone have any experience with the way the strut is orientated if the top mount just needs to be turned/rotated 180 degrees? And if this is even possible?

I understand that the top mount is aluminum and it is possible I somehow stripped them but I highly doubt it is that. I am very carefully, sometimes hyper careful when working on the car.

I am out and won’t have the chance or opportunity to test this until tomorrow and wanted to hear from the community and experts.
AAADAF4D-4CC1-4F37-93E6-02A809BE48C8.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulnur

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Lol, that's my photo :) All four go all the way through.
No way, haha! Thanks for the photo for reference.

I guess now then the question at hand, will roating it 180 degrees change anything. I will update the original post. Thanks @JoeDaMechanic for clarifying.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
If yours is actually damaged on the threads you can always tap it and put a helicoil on it. That's assuming it's not the actual nut that's spinning in there. I can't really tell if it's just notched on the bottom or on the entire hole.

OP
OP
paulnur

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
If yours is actually damaged on the threads you can always tap it and put a helicoil on it. That's assuming it's not the actual nut that's spinning in there. I can't really tell if it's just notched on the bottom or on the entire hole.
Right, I agree.

Is the thickness the same on all 4 corners? Is there any way to measure and see if it is 100% square.

That is the last and only thing I can think of.

Jacking up the car up, taking off the wheel, dropping those 4 bolts and spinning it 180 degrees wont take long, to see if that is the cultrate.

If that does not work I may just need to ask around to purchase a new one.

JoeDaMechanic

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 1993 Mazda RX7
Right, I agree.

Is the thickness the same on all 4 corners? Is there any way to measure and see if it is 100% square.

That is the last and only thing I can think of.

Jacking up the car up, taking off the wheel, dropping those 4 bolts and spinning it 180 degrees wont take long, to see if that is the cultrate.

If that does not work I may just need to ask around to purchase a new one.
Quick measurement on the table top says they're all the same height.
If it is the nut that is spinning in there, you'll definitely know when you try to take it off because it will probably spin when you try to remove it as well.

OP
OP
paulnur

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Quick measurement on the table top says they're all the same height.
If it is the nut that is spinning in there, you'll definitely know when you try to take it off because it will probably spin when you try to remove it as well.
So seems to be fully symmetrical. Looks like BMW makes a part that looks identical to the Z4; however, the parts shop could not confirm it would be compatible,

Can anyone confirm?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284946191023?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

1662762748479.png

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
OP
OP
paulnur

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
The part you already have is a bmw part. Exact same thing.

Toyota doesn’t make the same part in a different factory with Toyota stampings.

“Nice bmw!!”
Thank you my man! @JoeDaMechanic has one he’s hooking me up with.

If I went with BMW which I now know I can, I appreciate it, I have to buy the whole assembly with the bearing. It’s almost $300.

Thank you for the clarification!

CULaterJimzo

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' CUL A91 MT
Sorry for bumping an old thread

I think I'm having the issue, when i slowly let off the clutch i can hear it "squeaking" and when i hit small bumps it clacks. I haven't had the time to get it checked out, Was the solution just rotating it 180 degrees or bought a new one?
Thanks

OP
OP
paulnur

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium