Power upgrade options on pump fuel only

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
1. Stock oil filter is accessible on new gen. Old gen requires a little adapter that makes it accessible
2. No, any aftermarket will work with a coupler
2a. EOS does not change the throttle body
3. New version is a SLIGHTLY smaller core, but not by much
4. Nearly no temperature difference based on data I've seen, at the track, with my car, and the EOS shop car
Sponsored

AJRMKV

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Manual Supra
These are the power limiters in order. (Please note for nitpicky sperglords that I'm greatly simplifying and ballparking this for the sake of easier discussion):

Stock turbo up to ~500 WHP --> overcome with a turbo upgrade
Stock axles up to ~500 WHP --> overcome with DSS axles (this line item only applies to hard launching on sticky tires)
Stock LPFP up to ~575 WHP --> overcome with an LPFP + port injection upgrade
Stock trans up to ~650 WHP --> overcome by building the transmission with Jack's, Pure, etc.
Stock motor around ~700 WHP --> overcome by building the engine

Personal hot take and sidenote:
I see some in this thread casting shade on ethanol (e85 fuel). You're missing out, if you have access to it. BIG TIME missing out. It makes more power than gasoline. It runs the engine colder than gasoline. It's safer for the engine than gasoline. Exhaust gas is colder than gasoline, and exhaust gas runs your turbo. It has oxygen molecules for cooling and power that gasoline does not. It's 105 octane race gas that comes from a pump, and it's cheaper than gasoline. If you have access to ethanol, and can afford to install a flex fuel sensor, it's a bit daft not to run with an ethanol/gasoline blend in the tank.

Running ethanol is no more or less difficult than pumping gas. And ethanol is not remotely like methanol: it requires no controllers, no nozzles, no injectors or pumps. METHanol is a powerful tool with many complications. ETHanol is a powerful tool that comes from the squeeze of a pump. Again, if you have access to it, running an e85 blend is fantastic way to add power and safety to the car.
No access to it where I live, although I can buy it by the drum and store it, but that's not ideal.

How reliable are the Methanol kits? Possible complications?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
No access to it where I live, although I can buy it by the drum and store it, but that's not ideal.

How reliable are the Methanol kits? Possible complications?
You'll never find me recommending a meth injection kit. I find they have too many points of failure, too many ways to go wrong, and I refuse to tune such that my engine's very existence depends on a system with that level of complexity. If it doesn't come from the gas tank, I don't want it. The risks don't outweigh the benefit for me.

I'm sure others have a different opinion.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You'll never find me recommending a meth injection kit. I find they have too many points of failure, too many ways to go wrong, and I refuse to tune such that my engine's very existence depends on a system with that level of complexity. If it doesn't come from the gas tank, I don't want it. The risks don't outweigh the benefit for me.

I'm sure others have a different opinion.
It's definitely RaceCarThings™. I have meth in my car, but since it's really honestly a drag car that's occasionally driven on the street, rather than the reverse, I don't mind the complexity.

My tune, however, is not dependent on meth at all. Used for cooling only.

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
It's definitely RaceCarThings™. I have meth in my car, but since it's really honestly a drag car that's occasionally driven on the street, rather than the reverse, I don't mind the complexity.

My tune, however, is not dependent on meth at all. Used for cooling only.
I thought about meth for strictly cooling, but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Last edited:

geert.bieseman

First Name
Geert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan GT-R R33 ; Toyota Supra MKV
1. Stock oil filter is accessible on new gen. Old gen requires a little adapter that makes it accessible
2. No, any aftermarket will work with a coupler
2a. EOS does not change the throttle body
3. New version is a SLIGHTLY smaller core, but not by much
4. Nearly no temperature difference based on data I've seen, at the track, with my car, and the EOS shop car
Thanks for the clear answers, appreciated.
Sponsored