Pre 6/20 ecu woes

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Hi everyone, long story short, I bought a supposed “pre” 6/20 ecu to get my 22 supra tuned.

however when I took my 22 and pre 6/20 ecu, the tuner told me that because the pre 6/20 ecu and my 22 ecu share the same part number, it won’t be cloneable.

i put the picture of the pre 6/20 ecu, and unless I’m trippin, it says 4/20/20 right? Unless German Month placement is not what i thought it was.

any insight it appreciated.

6D9B9D24-F661-4B71-9BCD-09D424FFC015.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Yeah that doesn’t make sense. Consider reaching out to someone else, or Femto directly for clarification

Reactions: zrk

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
I have a Femto cloned pre 6/20 DME on my ‘21. Your tuner is partially correct about not being able to do the tune: You have to get your VIN cloned onto a pre 6/20 for it to work in place of your original (factory) DME. I made inquiries to performance shops about this before Toyota dealers started to lock out the tunable DME’s (pre 6/20) with the brake recall notifications (“brake-gate”? lol). I was looking for a permanent backup (safety net) in case I wanted to return my car to stock. They all said the same thing: VIN cloning is the only solution because of how BMW designs their electronics.
I haven’t been keeping up on the situation but to my knowledge there is no other way to accomplish this.
Piggybacking is cheaper but offers relatively limited performance upgrades compared with a fully tunable, unlocked DME. (italicized for clarity).
My advice would be to find companies that have connections with FEMTO and offer a discount if you “BYODME” (Bring Your Own DME).
FYI I used Visconti in January, before the Russia / Ukrainian situation. It took exactly two weeks (and I had to send them my DME) and I got back my original and the clone.
I hope this helps and clears up any confusion.
DISCLOSURE: I am NOT affiliated with Visconti, I’m just a happy customer.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Appreciate it everyone, tuner confirmed it was cloneable!

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Your tuner is partially correct about not being able to do the tune:
which part was the tuner right about? Tuner said he can’t tune because the part number was the same. This is wrong. That’s all the information we have.

Its also not the ‘VIN’ but the original cal (of which the VIN is a part of). But generally yes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
So I was told that you had to clone the VIN of your post 6/20 to the pre DME 6/20. Not sure what a ‘cal’ is, but there may be more to the cloning process than just copying the VIN. I’m sure Femto is keeping to themselves.
All I can say is that my Femto cloned DME worked perfectly right out of the box. No CEL’s, no limp mode, no problems.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Reactions: zrk

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
Ah - makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation.
Sponsored