Purchased canadian 3.0 version saturday with delivery monday. Battery replace! Code!

Drillerkc74

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 supra black on black
the dealer was supposed to have car ready the next business day but they decided to order a new battery.
I told the general manager here was a tech bulletin about the dealerships needing to keep cars charged and they never heard of that.

i have a feeling there will be a difficult learning curve for small town canadian dealer working on a BMW!
Any other s with the battery warning.

funniest is the mechanic said dont use any charge other than the expensive bmw approved one in their shop!???
Sponsored

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
the dealer was supposed to have car ready the next business day but they decided to order a new battery.
I told the general manager here was a tech bulletin about the dealerships needing to keep cars charged and they never heard of that.

i have a feeling there will be a difficult learning curve for small town canadian dealer working on a BMW!
Any other s with the battery warning.

funniest is the mechanic said dont use any charge other than the expensive bmw approved one in their shop!???
Most dealers do not follow the manufacturers recommendations for charging batteries of cars in inventory. Dealers are notorious for killing new car batteries. Cars sit for weeks and months on lots waiting to be sold. In the mean time the new batteries discharge and get damaged permanently. Customers buy these brand new cars with new batteries that are partially damaged from the start.

I have seen a couple of Supras in showrooms with the "Replace Battery" lit up in the dash. The battery gets killed from people turning on things and by not having the car on a battery charger/maintainer. Jumping the car will not fix it either. BMWs have a pretty complex system for battery and charging. You can't just pull and swap a battery like for most cars. With BMWs there is a little programing that has to be done after a batter swap to sync the new battery to the car. Otherwise it will not charge properly. It's part technology and part BMW tax.

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I use a Battery Tender JR that goes for $25 at Amazon. It's AGM compatible and been using it since the day I brought my Supra home. No issue, no fuss, I'm a simple guy.

Congrats on your new car, OP! Excellent color choice too.

Grendel-13

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 2015 BMW 435xi
I bought my charger from a BMW dealer on amazon
BMW 61-43-2-408-594 Battery Charger

I have a 4 series also, so I can use the charger with both cars. This also works as a battery tender, so it doesn't just charge the battery, which is better for it. It also has protection from hooking it up backwards. I accidently did it once on my BMW. It's about $125 U.S.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
I bought my charger from a BMW dealer on amazon
BMW 61-43-2-408-594 Battery Charger

I have a 4 series also, so I can use the charger with both cars. This also works as a battery tender, so it doesn't just charge the battery, which is better for it. It also has protection from hooking it up backwards. I accidently did it once on my BMW. It's about $125 U.S.
That charger is a good one. It's made by Ctek. They also make them for Porsche and Corvette.

Octane

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Supra
Just be happy we aren't using the Battery on the BMW m3/m4. It's a $2000 replacement lol.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Just be happy we aren't using the Battery on the BMW m3/m4. It's a $2000 replacement lol.
What's so different about those batteries? Never mind, just saw it's lithium ion. Ouch!

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How strong would you suggest. The 2 amp version?
For storage you won't even need 1 AMP. My Battery Tender Jr is 0.75A and it's been working fine on my cars for the last 20+ years with only 2 that went bad after 10+ years use. I currently run 4 of them in my garage including one on my Supra.

Going fancy is your choice, but not necessary.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
For storage you won't even need 1 AMP. My Battery Tender Jr is 0.75A and it's been working fine on my cars for the last 20+ years with only 2 that went bad after 10+ years use. I currently run 4 of them in my garage including one on my Supra.

Going fancy is your choice, but not necessary.
A lot of battery chargers/maintainers are out of stock so buying a first choice might not be possible in some instances. I think a few of the lower amp Noco are sold out. Probably because of covid. Everyone is not driving nearly as much. Cars sit longer between drives and batteries run down. Demand for chargers goes up as a result. Or maybe a supply issue due to covid? Just my guess?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart