purchasing used 2021

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
thinking of purchasing a used 2021 supra with 6,100 miles. theyre asking 57k OTD and its so close to MSRP on a new one im not sure if i should buy it or just get on a list and wait it out.

ill be trading in a 2023 toyota camry TRD and theyre offering $33k trade in value.

if i do purchase the used one, what should i look out for while checking it out? is there any way i could tell right off the bat if its leaking oil like some 2021s do? any place where rocks are known to hit more than others? also is it even worth purchasing at 57k?

i heard some of the 2021s have their ECU unlocked, does anyone know the exact cut off date?
Sponsored

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
i heard some of the 2021s have their ECU unlocked, does anyone know the exact cut off date?
June 2020. Look at the vehicle build date on the door jam. If it’s June 2020 or before, you’re good. If it’s ~October 2020 or later it’s almost certainly locked. Between those you’ll need to lift up the ECU itself and look at the sticker on it.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
June 2020. Look at the vehicle build date on the door jam. If it’s June 2020 or before, you’re good. If it’s ~October 2020 or later it’s almost certainly locked. Between those you’ll need to lift up the ECU itself and look at the sticker on it.
you think theyll let me lift the ECU at the dealership? also are there any known problems with the brakes/rotors making noises?

im kinda scared... driven 4 cylinder my whole life

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
you think theyll let me lift the ECU at the dealership? also are there any known problems with the brakes/rotors making noises?

im kinda scared... driven 4 cylinder my whole life
Well if a rock is caught between the dust shield and rotor there's going to be noises. Hard braking will fix this.

Check the rocker panels and lower front fenders where it curves in. That area is prone to rock chips.

luv2xlr8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Point of clarification for you: some of the 2021's use oil, they don't leak it. Extensive threads on here already but as someone who has watched this topic extensively both pre and post purchase, I can confidently say it is still a dice roll. Some use a lot, some use a little, some use none at all. There is no window of production dates or VIN number sequences that has yet to be isolated for which cars use oil and which ones don't. Some cars are using a litre/quart every thousand miles, some have only done the recommended maintenance with OEM oil and don't use a drop. Toss up for that year.

OP
OP
Zooterz

Zooterz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
thanks for all the input, if i can talk them down to 54k then ill probably go pick it up.
Sponsored