Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
All - I do not do a lot of these Forum things but figured I would try to start a thread for those that are Track Addicts like me and want to learn from each other on our track experience no matter what level you are. These cars are great track cars and everyone should take them out and enjoy them on track days!
Sponsored

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Absolutely! There’s an old thread on this. Hard to scroll thru. The OP doesn’t appear to be updating it (the 1st page with the list of tracks). So @kaj said he’s willing to get one up and running if someone can help with the spreadsheet and ease of update. Do you know how to do this so we can all post on here?

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I do not know how to do the spread sheet thing. I also would add that there are no dumb questions related to getting out and doing track days. I did my first one ever with this car in Jan 2021, in fact the free track day is how I ended up with all of this. I now am also an instructor with NASA and PCA so do right seat instruction for all the Toyota people who bring their cars for their free track days in AZ. So have been out in all the Supras and GR 86, I understand Toyota will add the new Corolla that is coming out with all the sporty stuff to this program. So if you have not signed up do it. It will not hurt you car especially in DE1

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Fuel starve sucks and be nice to your transmission if you're tuned. The abuse will catch up with 6th gear. Also recommend going to a heavier oil for the diff if not done already.

Matter

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 228i
You instruct after 2 years? Impressive. :) How many track days did you do before that? I'm sure a lot of people are curious about the path to instructing

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
I did 36 track days my first year. Took NASA comp school in Oct 21. And started instructing in Dec 21. Feb 22 took the PCA instructing school and also am a national instructor for them. I used to race motocross, and off-road but had not raced cars. Total track days since starting in Jan 22 is now at 64. With over 80 hours of on track seat time.

image.jpg

Matter

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 228i
Great dedication. I'm sure its been a fun adventure

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Yes I went way down the rabbit whole (lol) but it has been fun. Met a lot new people and am enjoying working on the car and making it better. So the Supra is a great platform right out of the box. You do not have to do everything I have done to track it but as you go faster of course you will want to keep adding the cool stuff. As I mentioned in other threads. Focus on suspension, brakes and tires first. Happy to share my experiences with everyone as you try out different things or are considering something.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You instruct after 2 years? Impressive. :) How many track days did you do before that? I'm sure a lot of people are curious about the path to instructing
Can’t even recall how many motorcross dudes I’ve met over the years, scratching my head wondering how they know so much about driving lines, momentum driving, and catching on so quickly to what we do on track… So that makes more sense in his case :)

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Fuel starve sucks and be nice to your transmission if you're tuned. The abuse will catch up with 6th gear. Also recommend going to a heavier oil for the diff if not done already.
Thanks for the advice! I’ve done that on all my previous track cars. I always carry a pair of cans to the track and try not to fall below ⅓ of a tank. My 1st track day was hotter than hell. So had to turn my JB4 off to avoid limp mode. But down here in Florida, all the fast Supra guys don‘t mess with the engine. She’s a beast out of the box!

Matter

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 228i
Can’t even recall how many motorcross dudes I’ve met over the years, scratching my head wondering how they know so much about driving lines, momentum driving, and catching on so quickly to what we do on track… So that makes more sense in his case :)
Funny, I'm coming from riding motorcycles on track for 15+ years and it has definitely given me a headstart. Like you say: lines, braking, eyes, entry/apex/exit, patience etc. Fun stuff

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Funny, I'm coming from riding motorcycles on track for 15+ years and it has definitely given me a headstart. Like you say: lines, braking, eyes, entry/apex/exit, patience etc. Fun stuff
Will be an easy transition for you 4 sure!

Where’s Lakewood?

OP
OP
Todday1

Todday1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
So it has been quiet. Maybe this will get the conversations going. So for any of you who are still signing up for your first track days or you did your first one I am interested in what you would like to have structure or event wise so you all would do more than the free one. We had discussed in our region on getting a specific run group just for Toyota Supra and gr86. So it is not just standard HPDE1. That way we can get a community going on what everyone wants to do meaning, meaning could be more specific to the cars and instruction. Any thoughts or concerns that are holding you back.?

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
Ha, same here but not as long. 6 years racing before I transitioned to the car.
Sponsored