jakew

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
Hey all.

Has anyone else had any cold start issues with the 3.0 GR Supra at all?

Occasionally, the car wont cold start on a cold morning, dropping the revs straight to 600-800rpm. Also alongside this, when the car is fully warmed up and even after spirited drives, the car would then cold start and hold the revs at 1200.

Even on occasion, the car has thrown an engine light when not performing a cold start in the morning, but when I took the car to Toyota, they couldn't see the light in the error history! So as suspected, they were absolutely no help.

Anyone experienced this or have any idea?
Sponsored

AirAlexie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hey all.

Has anyone else had any cold start issues with the 3.0 GR Supra at all?

Occasionally, the car wont cold start on a cold morning, dropping the revs straight to 600-800rpm. Also alongside this, when the car is fully warmed up and even after spirited drives, the car would then cold start and hold the revs at 1200.

Even on occasion, the car has thrown an engine light when not performing a cold start in the morning, but when I took the car to Toyota, they couldn't see the light in the error history! So as suspected, they were absolutely no help.

Anyone experienced this or have any idea?
there is something definitely wrong. Itā€™s not supposed to drop RPMā€™s like that.

do you have it tuned or have any modifications done to it ?

OP
OP

jakew

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
None at all!

I'm half tempted to take it to my local BMW dealership and pay so they can properly diagnose the issue haha.

OP
OP

jakew

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
As I mentioned in the no rev issue thread sounds like the vanos solenoid.

/me thinks there(theory) is a batch of faulty actuators which are causing issues with the supra B58 engine.

Located at rear of engine next to timing chain the solenoid controls the variable timing of the engine and instead of replacing the solenoids in the new updated B58 the actuator can be changed instead.

A special pin wrench tool is required to remove it. Part is about $58 but the special tool is required.

Best to take it bmw and get it done as it's common issue with the B58. Toyota should pay for the service under warranty.

Toyota as usual are clueless on this issue sweeping it under the carpet.

Part #7
04iVNMdFKkxA1kOPjANpM-lJMg0zvacTF_Rf46FgkPGZg&s=10.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

jakew

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0

/me thinks there(theory) is a batch of faulty actuators which are causing issues with the supra B58 engine.

Located at rear of engine next to timing chain the solenoid controls the variable timing of the engine and instead of replacing the solenoids in the new updated B58 the actuator can be changed instead.

A special pin wrench tool is required to remove it. Part is about $58 but the special tool is required.

Best to take it bmw and get it done as it's common issue with the B58. Toyota should pay for the service under warranty.

Part #7
I would love to take it to BMW as Toyota dealerships are lucky to have even had a supra in their garage in the UK, let alone know how to work on them.

My visit today was unsuccessful and apparently they couldnā€™t read the code, so they have passed some data to another Toyota dealer to see if they know what the problem is... Seems that Iā€™m not gonna get this resolved any time soon without having to pay BMW out of my own pocket!!

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Might be worth it to get a OBD BT adapter and Bimmerlink or similar software - at least then you could just tell the dealership what code it was throwing to get them started. ;) And while you're at it you can grab Bimmercode and disable ASD (fake exhaust) and a few other "features" to make life simpler. Probably be cheaper than just a diagnosis at a BMW dealer (if you can even convince them to touch it at all) and will have lasting benefits down the road.

Jeonsa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A

Part #7
This actually seems pretty plausible. Did you bring it up to a Toyota tech? Seems like something they would try to look at, maybe they (Toyota) could even call BMW to verify

OP
OP

jakew

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
This actually seems pretty plausible. Did you bring it up to a Toyota tech? Seems like something they would try to look at, maybe they (Toyota) could even call BMW to verify
Toyota UK are literally no help at all. I tried to get them to send me this ā€˜dataā€™ so I could liaise with BMW and get a resolution quicker - but they said that the data was ā€˜confidentialā€™ (even though it being on my own vehicle). I assume they are probably having a few cars with this issue if thatā€™s the case.

I also brought up the vanos issue to no avail. I now know why people are choosing to buy the equivalent costing cayman or z4 as the levels of customer service is 10x what Iā€™ve had with Toyota so far!!

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I also brought up the vanos issue to no avail. I now know why people are choosing to buy the equivalent costing cayman or z4 as the levels of customer service is 10x what Iā€™ve had with Toyota so far!!
Vanos issues on bimmers are nothing new...
As far as Toyota, it's not fair to assess like that after all it's a BMW. Toyota dealers & customer service know jack shit about BMW stuff... It is for sure Toyota's fault for not foreseeing or caring more about the problems associated with such a partnership. BMW should honor on such issues to at least send a tech to Toyota dealers, but it's also not their problem....
There are issues on GT86 with Toyota/Subaru, but at least they're both Japanese and have similar procedures/mindset, but not problem free either... less electronics...
So, I think it was really obvious, inevitable that Supra would eventually run into BMW's issues with not so quick solutions unless happens widely on Z4 g29 as well...
Sponsored