Refurbish or Replace?

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford Focus RS FPM375 and Mazda 2.0 ND
Hi there, I have a bit of a dilemma, and could do with some advice. I recently bought a UK Supra 3.0 Pro for a good price however the front two 2 wheels are curbed / road rash. I've got 3 options, Replace with new, refurbish if possible to OE spec or refurbish eg powdercoat but all one colour eh grey or black.

I'm open to all 3 options and don't mind the OE spec wheel finish, but can the 19 inch black and chrome alloys be refurbished to the original finish black and chrome ? I assume not ? as it would appear genuine chrome as opposed to a chrome finish paint so would need actual re-plating I guess?

If I go down the route of powder coating does anyone know if the black and chrome is stripped off prior to power coating or over sprayed? Powder coating all 4 wheels to match is around £400.

My final option is to buy 2 new front genuine replacements which are currently at a promotional discount price of £600 for both including P&P from a Toyota dealer on Ebay, I could then possibly sell the two kerbed wheels for spare and reduce the purchase cost.

All ideas and advice appreciated,

IMG20210516103523.jpg
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hope you don't find more issues with it.
Rim protector is supposed to take some hit but those tires look new and are replaced for sure. What's the mileage I wonder.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hope you don't find more issues with it.
Rim protector is supposed to take some hit but those tires look new and are replaced for sure. What's the mileage I wonder.
The car has only done 2700 miles, it was a dealer demonstrator, all is good aside from the front wheels. I'd agree the tyre may of been replaced as there's no damage to the tyre, yet there is to the rim whereas the other side has a small piece of rubber missing on the rim protector and kerbing.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
those silver areas of the wheel is polished aluminum. You could technically sand down that curb rash and find someone to polish it out.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
those silver areas of the wheel is polished aluminum. You could technically sand down that curb rash and find someone to polish it out.
Thanks Black sedan,, It was a wheel refurb place that told me it was chrome! so the wheel face is not chromed but essentially polished aluminum and then masked off and sprayed gloss black? If so that simplified things, could always try myself and then if that fails go down one of the other routes maybe

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm just not so keen on black wheels, when you look at the car from a distance, I find it hard to see the wheel detail in black against the tyre, prefer a lighter colour for contrast but darker than the car colour eg anthracite. Would be interesting to see if anyone has had their wheels refurbed to OE spec, maybe a dremmel will be on my shopping list and a bit of DIY as a trial

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I'm just not so keen on black wheels, when you look at the car from a distance, I find it hard to see the wheel detail in black against the tyre, prefer a lighter colour for contrast but darker than the car colour eg anthracite. Would be interesting to see if anyone has had their wheels refurbed to OE spec, maybe a dremmel will be on my shopping list and a bit of DIY as a trial
Hi Craig72, Check out the Kansei KNP wheel. They are a nice aftermarket that won't put you in the poor house. They're now making the wheels in the Supra fitment.

AP1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GR
Hi there, I have a bit of a dilemma, and could do with some advice. I recently bought a UK Supra 3.0 Pro for a good price however the front two 2 wheels are curbed / road rash. I've got 3 options, Replace with new, refurbish if possible to OE spec or refurbish eg powdercoat but all one colour eh grey or black.

I'm open to all 3 options and don't mind the OE spec wheel finish, but can the 19 inch black and chrome alloys be refurbished to the original finish black and chrome ? I assume not ? as it would appear genuine chrome as opposed to a chrome finish paint so would need actual re-plating I guess?

If I go down the route of powder coating does anyone know if the black and chrome is stripped off prior to power coating or over sprayed? Powder coating all 4 wheels to match is around £400.

My final option is to buy 2 new front genuine replacements which are currently at a promotional discount price of £600 for both including P&P from a Toyota dealer on Ebay, I could then possibly sell the two kerbed wheels for spare and reduce the purchase cost.

All ideas and advice appreciated,

IMG20210516103523.jpg
How long do you plan to keep the car? Are you going to drive it daily or this will be your weekend only ride? These questuions because if you drive this car daily for several years, you will inevitably have the same type of damage. If not worried about car being forever in showroom quality, I would do nothing. There are many other things to spend £600 on.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks I see what your saying but I think I've only ever kerbed 2 alloys in 15 years, so it kind of bugs me paying a lot for a nearly new car, in excellent condition except 2 kerbed alloys. It kinda of ruins the overall car's appearance especially as the damage was not caused by me.
I'm quite happy to pay to get it resolved and if I later cause damage (hopefully not) i'll revisit my options, but things are getting clearer now I know its not a chromed wheel, plus the new wheel offer on ebay at £300 per wheel runs out tomorrow, so the pressure is on!

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hi Craig72, Check out the Kansei KNP wheel. They are a nice aftermarket that won't put you in the poor house. They're now making the wheels in the Supra fitment.
Thanks Heavy Foot but but will be sticking with the originals, does none like them except me ;-)

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
Thanks Black sedan,, It was a wheel refurb place that told me it was chrome! so the wheel face is not chromed but essentially polished aluminum and then masked off and sprayed gloss black? If so that simplified things, could always try myself and then if that fails go down one of the other routes maybe
Ive sanded a few rashes out before. I prefer using a DA sander but a sanding block and maybe 180 grit followed by 320 can get most of the gouges out and not remove too much material off. From there you could try stepping up grit and use a polishing wheel to give it some luster. I cant recall if the polished areas had a clear coat but finish on the wheel itself appears to be black powdercoat judging by the thickness.

OP
OP
Craig172

Craig172

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for that info Black_sedan, now i know its polished as opposed to chrome I've decided m going to give it a go myself, I'm quite handy at the DIY so should nt be too hard to sort out.
Just deciding now what to do with the £600 I set aside for the wheel replacement !!
Do I put it towards getting a wider garage door as its a tight squeeze at the mo, or alternatively been thinking of getting a retro Arcade table, guess I'll have to decide that one myself ;-)
Thanks for everyone's help

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
Thanks for that info Black_sedan, now i know its polished as opposed to chrome I've decided m going to give it a go myself, I'm quite handy at the DIY so should nt be too hard to sort out.
Just deciding now what to do with the £600 I set aside for the wheel replacement !!
Do I put it towards getting a wider garage door as its a tight squeeze at the mo, or alternatively been thinking of getting a retro Arcade table, guess I'll have to decide that one myself ;-)
Thanks for everyone's help
Hope you get your DIY repair sorted out soon. Best of luck!

Tsuki

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 A91-CF
Thanks I see what your saying but I think I've only ever kerbed 2 alloys in 15 years, so it kind of bugs me paying a lot for a nearly new car, in excellent condition except 2 kerbed alloys. It kinda of ruins the overall car's appearance especially as the damage was not caused by me.
I'm quite happy to pay to get it resolved and if I later cause damage (hopefully not) i'll revisit my options, but things are getting clearer now I know its not a chromed wheel, plus the new wheel offer on ebay at £300 per wheel runs out tomorrow, so the pressure is on!
300 quid for a new wheel? That seems insanely cheap.
Sponsored