Registering out of state car in WA

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
anyone out in washington register a car from out of state? I know the smog testing ended a few years ago both for registration renewal and transferring a car but what out moving a car in from another state?

specifically i am trying to find out if i am going to have an issue with tinted windows or aftermarket exhaust where i go to register and they reject. 
 or is this even a thing now, or do you just bring your title in for plates, pay the tax and are done without anyone wanting to see the vehicles with the recent change?
Sponsored

sojusoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 BB NSX, 2003 GPW S2000
I'm in the same boat as you. Moving to WA in Jan from Cali

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
First you need to get a WA driver’s license then you can register your cars here.

The car must meet California’s clean emission standards. If you’re not Carb 50 complaint you might need to return car back to stock.

Window tint must be 24%, if darker expect to fail inspection and get pulled over from State Patrol.

-RJM

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/moving.html
B66DA24A-090C-45B0-968D-8F436AA76A8A.jpeg

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Too much confusion. I researched this and found the same information provided previously. I just called the vehicle licensing office. No inspection of any kind required. The cars are newer that 2010, i have both titles, the process is simply to bring both valid registrations and both titles to the titling office after i obtain a license and they will process the registration. I can do do vehicles in one shot and walk out with the plates.

edit: also do not even need to dig up a bill of sale or anything. Just title and valid out of state registration.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Too much confusion. I researched this and found the same information provided previously. I just called the vehicle licensing office. No inspection of any kind required. The cars are newer that 2010, i have both titles, the process is simply to bring both valid registrations and both titles to the titling office after i obtain a license and they will process the registration. I can do do vehicles in one shot and walk out with the plates.

edit: also do not even need to dig up a bill of sale or anything. Just title and valid out of state registration.
I think its county dependent, some are stricter than others. Glad you got it figured out.

-RJM

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I think its county dependent, some are stricter than others. Glad you got it figured out.

-RJM

i just called the general licensing number and explained the situation. The lady did not ask what county. She did highlight there was a major change on inspection starting in 2020 so maybe everything has been eliminated (that was the source of the confusion and why i posted here).

i guess we will see what happens if/when i go or maybe sojusoulja can chime in first if he encounters the process before me.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Update

no inspection but $970 to register my supra +prius 

Souriall91

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
I’m in WA and can tell you first hand it’s very simple. Tint doesn’t matter, they won’t even check. Emissions isn’t a thing so they’re not gonna check. You also won’t get pulled over for tint either. It’s not really a thing anymore, especially in a new car. Just take your title in to whatever licensing place and they’ll transfer it over. I did an out of state transfer when emissions were still a thing and it was easy. All they did was plug in a scan tool and check for codes. No smog even when it was a thing. Should be even easier now

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
They didnt even look at my car. I registered both the prius and supra at once. Even switching over my license was quick and without even taking an eye exam (suspended due to covid)

the only thing that sucked out of the whole process was the huge cost to get the plates. The majority of it was the supra. The 2016 prius was $150 of the $970

Souriall91

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Yeah if you live in the RTA zone it’s astronomically expensive. You’ll have to look up you address to see if you’re in it. It’s like 10% of the cars value to renew your tabs. Plus fees.

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I am in it. The other side of the road i would have been fine :(
Sponsored