Reliability

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
2021 here with 4500 miles as of 10 minutes ago. 1000 miles since first service. ā€œSpiritedā€ break in, kept inter their recommended speed and RPM but I didnā€™t hold back getting to that 4500RPM limit :) Some very minimal oil burn at the 3500 mile service I chose, less than half a quart. Absolutely thrashed it the last 1000 miles with zero oil burn. Waiting on my blackstone oil analysis to come back - should be today.

TimM.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra premium
I have a 2021 3.0 premium. I have driven 5,500 miles currently. Iā€™ve taken it to the track 4 times accumulating just over 600miles and 7.5 hrs under a combination of full-throttle and full braking. My only changes from stock have been track tires and wheels, track brake pads, and track brake fluid. Iā€™ve also spent countless hours thrashing it on local NorCal canyon roads. Not a single problem, hiccup, leak, etc.. The perceived ā€œoil consumption problemā€ is not a problem at all. Turbocharged engines using 0W-20 oil which has high-volatility (evaporates fast) and efficient crankcase venting result in a (normal) higher oil consumption. And yes, I heard rumors of Toyota dealers replacing engines for oil consumption. If true, that alone doesnā€™t confirm a problem. Iā€™m a commercial jet aircraft engineer and I specialize in hydraulics. I frequently hear aircraft mechanics say the dumbest crap about how they think things work and what they think is normal or not normal. Iā€™d bet a year salary that mechanics and service writers say and do the dumbest crap based on what ā€œthey thinkā€ is normal for a BMW engine.

Supertenor

First Name
Supertenor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2.0 2021
One of the reasons why I chose a b48 engine over b58 besides price difference (2.0 vs 3.0) is that I felt the engine would have longevity and be more Reliable in comparison to the higher performing engine. Iā€™m not a car person, I just based knowledge off of milder performance; nevertheless, Iā€™m one of the people who is experiencing excessive oil consumption.

I think you should wait it out a few more months if u can and see how they treat others who are suffering excessive oil consumption issues. Itā€™s very disheartening to buy a brand new 2021 and have issues. But I also, understand car fever. When u really want a new car, it doesnā€™t budge. As a back up, seek out another sport performance vehicle that u may equally enjoy as a back up.

Pushrod

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Mine is a 2021 3.0. I did the same brake-in with any engine I have owned, by the owners manual. I have had 0 issues with this car. I changed the oil at about 1k miles, and it was full and has been since. I check it when I fill up. I came from a Shelby GT350 and Bullitt Mustang. They both used a little oil, about a quart at 3k. This is a good car, no rattles, odd engine noises, very refined and fast, even in it stock form.

je8

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra
No issues yet for me but I havenā€™t even hit 1k miles. Too much time in winter storage in my first 9 months of ownership. Iā€™ll get some miles on it this summer. Curious to follow this thread with others.
Mine is a 2021 3.0. I did the same brake-in with any engine I have owned, by the owners manual. I have had 0 issues with this car. I changed the oil at about 1k miles, and it was full and has been since. I check it when I fill up. I came from a Shelby GT350 and Bullitt Mustang. They both used a little oil, about a quart at 3k. This is a good car, no rattles, odd engine noises, very refined and fast, even in it stock form.
Just curious, as someone who almost bought a GT350 before my Supra... do you miss the GT350? I do miss having a V8 and 6 speed, coming from a C6 Z06 but really enjoy the Supra. Some day I might have both.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
2021 3.0 Premium with 2200 miles or so in 6 months. Honestly, the only unreliable aspect of the car has been Apple CarPlay. Otherwise, nary an issue.

I really do think oil consumption concerns are coming from an extremely vocal but extremely small subset of owners.

joshthorsc

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2021 GR Supra
Tempting to pull the trigger on 2021 Supra 3.0. How reliable is it? Any main problems? I also want to trade my q50 rs 2016 whitch I still owe some.Any negotiations tips when trading?
I owned my new 21 3.0 premium for six months and drove it for 7k miles. During my ownership I experienced a battery code, a chassis function limited code, a tpms light due to external forces, and transmission shift delay. My car will sometimes struggle to accelerate from a standstill and almost got me into an accident on two different occasions. I just chose to sell it afterwards instead of dealing with all of these small issues that kept popping up. Also did my first oil change at 5k miles and noticed it was almost a quart low when I drained it.

Last edited:

chenqiju

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda
Can't open the trunk after two weeks..... But seems like a extreme case and I haven't get other problem yet

QQ520TT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Solara, FRS, Prius
6000 miles in 6 months. Has low oil warning at 5100 miles right before the first oil change. Other than that has been flawless. 4 track days, beat on it pretty hard.

Pushrod

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
No issues yet for me but I havenā€™t even hit 1k miles. Too much time in winter storage in my first 9 months of ownership. Iā€™ll get some miles on it this summer. Curious to follow this thread with others.

Just curious, as someone who almost bought a GT350 before my Supra... do you miss the GT350? I do miss having a V8 and 6 speed, coming from a C6 Z06 but really enjoy the Supra. Some day I might have both.
The best thing about the Vodoo, that sound. Always miss that screaming.

lemonslush

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 supra premium nitro yellow, xc90, element
in watching a savage gees vid he was talking about the reliability of the bmw engines and Toyota engineers said they took the entire engine apart down to the bolts and felt it would live up to toyota relaiblity. Take that for what you will. I have had a n54 and n55 bmws and both were excellent for reliablity.
Sponsored