Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
But they never got their rotary from anyone else.. their own identity. Their own tradition.

Mazda was owned by Ford at one point. So it was forced down their throats.

Their flagships never used anything Ford.. example.. RX7, 929 etc. even then itā€™s not the same comparison. Stop. Just stop.

Toyota begged.. how else do you explain this? The only company that had an inline 6 back in 2012/13 time frame. If it were now they wouldā€™ve begged BMW or Benz for an in-line 6. Pathetic. BMW gave them a standard issue B58 series of motor. Not even their S series motors that are more
Suited for race applications.
And for that,BMW got humiliated at SPA, which in turn caused them to shape up the Z4

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
But they never got their rotary from anyone else.. their own identity. Their own tradition.

Their flagships never used anything Ford.. example.. RX7, 929 etc. even then itā€™s not the same comparison. Stop. Just stop.

Toyota begged.. how else do you explain this? The only company that had an inline 6 back in 2012/13 time frame. If it were now they wouldā€™ve begged BMW or Benz for an in-line 6. Pathetic. BMW gave them a standard issue B58 series of motor. Not even their S series motors that are more
Suited for race applications.
Not even the same comparison because those models don't exist anymore but whatever you win the game with the rules you made up on the spot in your favor.

Have you driven an E89 Z4? It doesnt handle worth a damn for a roadster. In fact, the only car in their North American lineup that does is the 2 series since it still uses a mechanical rack. BMW needed a convertible that was sporty enough and refined enough to move up-market without being an overpriced sebring. Tada knows how to make a well handling car. Without them coming together, neither model would exist.
The Supra has never been a race car so an S motor doesn't even make sense for it by your definition.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Toyota begged.. how else do you explain this?
They brought a proposal to BMW and BMW agreed?

Begging doesn't usually take place at this level of negotiation. I don't see what form of logic brings you to your conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I have the same issues with the engine choice as you do.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
They brought a proposal to BMW and BMW agreed?

Begging doesn't usually take place at this level of negotiation. I don't see what form of logic brings you to your conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I have the same issues with the engine choice as you do.
I use the word begging .. just so it makes the same level of sense as a BMW engine in a Toyota flagship car.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
McLaren F1
Lotus uses Toyota engines for their Elise, Exige and Evora.
Lotus uses Toyota motors because (as crazy as it sounds) Lotus (and much of any British brand nowadays) is not very profitable....and British motors are crap in general in the reliability department. They are barely staying afloat. If Lotus or McLaren get to a point where they are as profitable as Toyota, they will build in-house power-trains no doubt...just like Jaguar did when they started to see profits increase. Jaguar was pure Ford at one point....once Tata took over and budgets increased, pure British motors were again being utilized (not across the board, but slowly began). Look at Koenigsegg, extremely low production cars, but everything....EVERYTHING...is made in-house, because there is funding for it.

My previous argument, was how is Nissan (who is nowhere near as profitable as Toyota) able to develop not one but two pure sports cars, one of which is a super car all in-house under a general brand name (not their Luxury brand)??? How is Nissan able to resurrect the GTR in a not so profitable market with less budgeting than Toyota??? The answer to this, will let everyone know why the MKV Supra is more a marketing gimmick than a true evolution of the Supra heritage.

To JDMuscles point, the sheer fact that it's not a Japanese built car is enough to classify this car as a "non-traditional Supra." This then begs the question....why on earth did Toyota call it a Supra????

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Oh, there's a rotary under the Miata?
Oh wait, the Mazda, 3, er, 6, um, maybe the CX 3?

The rotary was a fun engine, that threw itself out of contention thanks to the RX8 and now the only thing unique about Mazda is their skyactiv technology, that has now been linked with Toyota due to the market share.

We'll see the RX9, but I wouldn't be surprised if the RX 9 is made alongside a Toyota Sports car

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not even the same comparison because those models don't exist anymore but whatever you win the game with the rules you made up on the spot in your favor.

Have you driven an E89 Z4? It doesnt handle worth a damn for a roadster. In fact, the only car in their North American lineup that does is the 2 series since it still uses a mechanical rack. BMW needed a convertible that was sporty enough and refined enough to move up-market without being an overpriced sebring. Tada knows how to make a well handling car. Without them coming together, neither model would exist.
The Supra has never been a race car so an S motor doesn't even make sense for it by your definition.
Hey.. I didnā€™t make up any rules. Just saying.. a mainstream manufacturer using another makeā€™s engine for their flagship.

Iā€™m perfectly fine with this car.. just donā€™t capitalize on the name ā€˜Supraā€™ to make money on a project that shows nothing of what Toyota can do besides ā€˜hey we know how to save moneyā€™ . Call it something else.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Can this thread go back to new developments and reviews? lol

I keep coming here thinking there's new info and nope just more offtopic stuff
Lmao...welcome to the mosh pit.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, there's a rotary under the Miata?
Oh wait, the Mazda, 3, er, 6, um, maybe the CX 3?

The rotary was a fun engine, that threw itself out of contention thanks to the RX8 and now the only thing unique about Mazda is their skyactiv technology, that has now been linked with Toyota due to the market share.

We'll see the RX9, but I wouldn't be surprised if the RX 9 is made alongside a Toyota Sports car
Rotaries are unique to their RX line up of cars and Cosmos. Not.. for the Miata. Mazda did a bang up job in bringing back the Miata in the ND guise. Yes, they also partnered with FCA to minimize expense.. they didnā€™t use a fiat motor or vice versa.

Using the same motor and a different skin is a shame.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok ok.. back to topic ... sorry for the confusion.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
In 15+ years as an active member in several car forums I never once had to use the ā€œignoreā€ feature. Now I find it very useful. Click on the member name, then in the next menu click ignore. Much better.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.