Rough startup, twice

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I hope so. Mine did it stock here and there but now daily on a cold start she struggles to turn on for sec. Just doesn't seem to be normal to me. Especially since I only have 1.5k miles on the car :(
Rough is relative. Try taking a video and posting it here, so we have a better understanding
Sponsored

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0 Premium (absolute zero/red)
Rough is relative. Try taking a video and posting it here, so we have a better understanding

Will have camera ready next cold start thank you

YellowJacket

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Toyota Supra 3.0
Well my 21 has cranked, started, and immediately died. I'd then restart and everything is fine. It does this from time to time when I don't drive it for a while. I never really give it a second thought though....car runs great. It's probably the battery aging...maybe I'll replace it soon...I used to replace my battery every 2.5 years regardless of how the battery was performing on my corvettes....I'd guess I should keep the trend here.

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Well my 21 has cranked, started, and immediately died. I'd then restart and everything is fine. It does this from time to time when I don't drive it for a while. I never really give it a second thought though....car runs great. It's probably the battery aging...maybe I'll replace it soon...I used to replace my battery every 2.5 years regardless of how the battery was performing on my corvettes....I'd guess I should keep the trend here.
Oh wow.. Good to know.

I want to just forget about it and continue to enjoy the beast, but the fact that it went from doing it once a week the first month of ownership to every day now for a week is bugging me lol I don't want it to not crank up one day.

Side note: I bought a ctek msx 5.0 battery tender and brought it up to full (light 7). Drove it for like 20 mins today and put the tender to check where it was out of curiosity and it was on (light 3). Never used a battery tender before so not sure if thats normal or if it should stay on full (light 7) for a while. Any of you guys use this and can clarify this for me plz :imnew:

Supra 9

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra primium 3.0
I experienced something twice today that has never happened with my ‘21. Car is bone stock.

I parked the car on a flat surface to walk into a store for about 20-30 minutes. Upon returning I started the car as I normally would and experienced what I can best describe as a “rough start” with relatively significant vibrations through the seat and floor. It surprised me, so I shut it down. Restarted with no issues. About two hours later after leaving a different location I started the car and experienced the same thing - rough, vibrating startup that didn’t sound particularly abnormal but sure felt abnormally “rough”.

The vehicle was already at operating temp both times. Car was in sport mode during the start. Both times felt almost identical in terms of severity/shaking. Car seems to run and drive normal - no hesitation with throttle, no CEL, full power, clean idle. Even hit WOT on the way home and it felt great as always.

Any ideas on what could be going on?
And you describe more likely bad gasoline. I advise you to suck all that gas out and fill it with proper gas at well-known gas station such a Chevron.

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here ya go. It wasn't as bad this morning. Yesterday it took twice as long to turn over.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Here ya go. It wasn't as bad this morning. Yesterday it took twice as long to turn over.

That was a 100% normal start.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Side note: I bought a ctek msx 5.0 battery tender and brought it up to full (light 7). Drove it for like 20 mins today and put the tender to check where it was out of curiosity and it was on (light 3). Never used a battery tender before so not sure if thats normal or if it should stay on full (light 7) for a while. Any of you guys use this and can clarify this for me plz :imnew:
To give you an answer on this question, that is perfectly normal as well. Step 3 is what CTEK calls “Bulk” meaning it’s charging the battery at full power to 80%. Step 4 is then called “Absorption” meaning it dials back the charging power for the remaining 20% to get the battery to a full charge. Once there it will go through the rest to settle on step 7 which is “Float”.

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Mason

Really? I agree this start is fine but yesterday it was more dramatic it shook a little and almost didn’t turn over before firing up. Just doesn’t seem like that should be normal. However I will take your word for it as y’all are much more familiar with this platform then I am

I will try not to overthink it. I’ll just keep an eye on it and continue enjoying the car!

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
To give you an answer on this question, that is perfectly normal as well. Step 3 is what CTEK calls “Bulk” meaning it’s charging the battery at full power to 80%. Step 4 is then called “Absorption” meaning it dials back the charging power for the remaining 20% to get the battery to a full charge. Once there it will go through the rest to settle on step 7 which is “Float”.
Okay sweet good to know thanks for that! I thought my issue had something to do with the battery because JB4 has a soft code on it “030E06” which is power/battery related code. Couldn’t find much more info on that code other then that. Maybe someone here has had it before and could give some insight :bow:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
@Mason

Really? I agree this start is fine but yesterday it was more dramatic it shook a little and almost didn’t turn over before firing up. Just doesn’t seem like that should be normal. However I will take your word for it as y’all are much more familiar with this platform then I am

I will try not to overthink it. I’ll just keep an eye on it and continue enjoying the car!
Yeah, 2x that isn't normal normal, but it's fine. Fuel or cold weather will cause that. It's not out of line. I've had to crank 30-40 seconds on questionable ethanol before. That is a problem. lol

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, 2x that isn't normal normal, but it's fine. Fuel or cold weather will cause that. It's not out of line. I've had to crank 30-40 seconds on questionable ethanol before. That is a problem. lol
No cold weather down here in South FL lol but I am running a E35 mix and come to think of it.. it has happened more since putting E in the tank.

Joey MKV

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)