Rust?

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 Premium (Nocturnal, Automatic)
Was getting ready to install my armaspeed air intake when I saw this. Should I be concerned or nah? (Car hasn't cooled down yet so can't really take the intake out yet)
20230613_151435.jpg
20230613_151426.jpg
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Tough to verify what I'm looking at, but just know that the iron turbo center section has surface rust on it immediately, and it's not only normal, but acts as a protective layer on the iron.

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tough to verify what I'm looking at, but just know that the iron turbo center section has surface rust on it immediately, and it's not only normal, but acts as a protective layer on the iron.
ill update when i take the air intake off. But its pretty close to the turbo inlet so i think you are right

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
ill update when i take the air intake off. But its pretty close to the turbo inlet so i think you are right
The turbine housing is the only thing that would rust in that area. Everything else is aluminum or plastic.

OP
OP
Hien

Hien

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The turbine housing is the only thing that would rust in that area. Everything else is aluminum or plastic.
So this confirms what @FuzzyRev85 said about the surface rust on the turbo. I shouldn't worry about it? I do not know much about internals of cars yet, apologies.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Not sure what the component is but there are a few such as some suspension parts and turbo housing on a lot of cars that are raw cast steel and they accumulate surface rust. Turbo housings you can't do much about but there have been complaints from owner of other brands that some drive line and suspension components are rusty from day 1 upon collection. This rusting is never critical on a new car and the same in the medium to long term depending on driving conditions but it does demonstrate how much cost saving manufacturers do to things they figure the average buyer will never see. These driveline and suspension components would be far better off painted but if they can save even 1 dollar they will. Like the clear coat on your car inner door frame area has less clear on it than the rest of the Paintwork to save a few dollars worth of clear coat. Possibly the same here, if you can't see it let it rust.

Phil

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
So this confirms what @FuzzyRev85 said about the surface rust on the turbo. I shouldn't worry about it? I do not know much about internals of cars yet, apologies.
Yea surface rust on high-iron content turbo turbine housings is perfectly normal. Just like brake rotors.

The center cartridge on these turbos surface rust the most. Here was my stock turbo:

IMG_0357.jpeg

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Light it on fire and get a new one…
Sponsored