rust stain on wheels after wash

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Does anyone have a solution for the rust stains that appear immediately after washing the wheels? It seems to come from the brake rotors and makes a mess of just cleaned wheels.

IMG_1931.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg
Sponsored

hamajang

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 3.0 Absolute Zero
What did you use to clean the wheels? If the brake dust is embedded into the paint, you have multiple options.

• iron remover such as CarPro IronX
  • wheel cleaner that includes has an iron remover component built in like Sonax wheel cleaner, wheel cleaner +, or "the Beast"
  • clay bar
I will warn you that IronX smells like rotten eggs, and if you don't have good air circulation, the smell will linger for days. I have only used the "wheel cleaner +" version in the Sonax line-up and it worked pretty well. Clay will do the job as the cheapest and most readily available option, but it's the most work. With IronX and the wheels cleaners, you just spray it on, wait a few minutes, agitate a bit, and spray it off. Don't let it dry on your wheels though.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Adam's iron remover. Orange spray.

Reactions: zrk

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Unfortunately after washing your car the rotors generate a surface rust (brown-ish red).

I find it best to drive the car down the street after washing to remove the surface rust off the rotors… then re-wipe the wheels off with a quick detailer type product.

My favorite quick detailer for the wheels or paint is … Chemical Guys V Hybrid Spray along with a new quality microfiber towel.

92C662E6-5877-455D-B834-122C99A47A91.jpeg

AutoZone or Advance Auto offers the smaller bottles for about $15.

An amazing product… for all quick detailers are not created equal.

Additionally, dust-free brake pads help as well… keeping the wheels much much cleaner between washes.

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No worse feeling then finding orange powder after washing those wheels for so long lol. I just use a quick detailer and wipe them down