Spraying Water Locks Door When Washing Car

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Was spraying pollen off the car today and noticed that the car locked when water hit the door handle lock area. It threw me off for a second but I realized that the keys were in my pocket and I was close enough to the door for it to pick up the fob. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored

Ozzy8690

First Name
Ozzy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
14’ Turbo Ultramarine FRS, 2020 Downshift Blue Supra 3.0 premium
Same here used to happen to me all the time. Apparently those sensors are very sensitive. I just keep the keys elsewhere when I’m washing the car. Plus it reduces the chance of wetting the key fob.

Ale81

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350
Happens on my Lexus RC350 also, but only if the key fob is in my pocket. I wonder what happens if you leave the fob in the car and then wash the vehicle?

XPOTTEDPLANTX

First Name
julian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Car(s)
2020 supra, 09 sti hatch, 69 nova, 68 camaro
Lol when washing if hit the mirrors with water they my fold in. Makes me laugh everytime. Same thing with the door locks for me too

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
yea its normal, the touch sensors on the door handles pick up the force of the water as a touch.
Is it the force or the heat differential? I haven't messed with it but you don't actually need to put any pressure on it, which leads me to believe it's not specifically pressure-triggered. And I've had it trigger when just running water was going down the side of the car, which I attributed to the water heating up and running over the handle. I could be absolutely, totally full of BS though.

I put my key in my kitchen when i'm washing it, though, seems to work.

Kato

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2020 GR Supra Phantom
LOL. I just discovered this today as well. Will keep key away from car next time.

Nonschlont

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium & Evo X
I also, just discovered this, this weekend when I gave the car its first bath. lol