Say Adios to your modifications

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
LMAO okay. Whatever floats your boat fam. It's not ignorance if you honestly listen to both sides of the isle, have all of the facts open for you and make an honest judgement after that.

Just because it's not what you think doesn't mean it's wrong.
If what you say is either completely misleading or wrong, yeah, that's pure ignorance. I've literally heard exactly what you've written from all the usual right-wing propaganda sources. Ironically none of those sources are remotely educated or knowledgeable about what they discuss. You clearly don't have the facts. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt with that last sentence, because having all the facts and coming to the wrong conclusion is a harsher word than "ignorant".

Also, acquitted doesn't mean not guilty.

Attachments

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F.Y.I ...NOT convicted is still innocent in the eyes of the law.
Not only is that false, but also he was acquitted when conviction required a plurality of votes and, many of whom were his good pals with political lives to fight for. So wrong on so many levels.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Correct. Impeaching is the process.

Lets get this conversation back on track guys...the focus is the fact that the EPA wants to outright attack our hobby and our choice to do what we want to our cars. Focus all this energy!
This simply isn’t correct. There is no outright attack and there has never been a time when you could do absolutely anything you wanted with a car that you drove on the public roadways. The folks spinning up the hyperbole about what the intent is are willfully misleading auto enthusiasts. Here is clarification that the EPA offered:

“The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.

“EPA supports motorsports and its contributions to the American economy and communities all across the country. EPA’s focus is not (nor has it ever been) on vehicles built or used exclusively for racing, but on companies that violate the rules by making and selling products that disable pollution controls on motor vehicles used on public roads. These unlawful defeat devices lead to harmful pollution and adverse health effects. The proposed language was not intended to represent a change in the law or in EPA’s policies or practices towards dedicated competition vehicles. Since our attempt to clarify led to confusion, EPA has decided to eliminate the proposed language from the final rule.”

“EPA will continue to engage with the racing industry and others in its support for racing, while maintaining the Agency’s focus where it has always been: Reducing pollution from the cars and trucks that travel along America’s roadways and through our neighborhoods.”

We can only be afraid of so many things in life; be afraid of the right ones. If you are afraid that the EPA is trying to ban car modifications and motor sports, there is no evidence that you are afraid the right thing.

And if you’re going to point to something the EPA is planning on doing, source it: provide the text that comes from the EPA. Most of what has been discussed in this thread has been misinformation quoted by motivated sources mischaracterizing stated positions. Some of it is simply people creating absolute falsehoods that play on your fears.

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
The 70's was an experimental decade not just only for drugs. ;) Look how long it took them to figure out the cylinder deactivation technology. They also tried it in the 70's during the oil crisis but wasn't successful.

https://dyler.com/posts/297/cylinde...m-or-one-that-has-already-collected-some-dust

tivation-system-described-as-tomorrow-s-technology.jpg

The system, which was controlled by a special computer, monitored engine speed, EGR, intake manifold air pressure, accelerator position, and coolant temperature, and shut off either two or four cylinders where necessary.

Wanting to make the most of it, the Cadillac engineers started putting the new engine in virtually all of their models, but like all new technologies, this one still had room for improvement. When the cars made it out onto the roads with traditional drivers behind the wheels, all kind of problem began to surface.

The microprocessors installed in the system reacted too slowly to sudden changes in driving conditions or the mood of the driver. If the driver suddenly floored it, the system forced him to wait for a few seconds and only then reactivated the cylinders. There were even cases where the engine would begin to buck or stall.

General Motors didn’t wait and recalled all of the Cadillac models that were equipped with this technology. Instead of trying to update the system itself, the American company told all of the Cadillac dealers to disabled the cylinder deactivation system.

Yeah. The U.S is #84 in most polluted countries and #2 in CO2. Yet, nobody is giving China and the rest of the world shit... Here we are having a discussion on why we can't buy a cat-back exhaust and catalytic converter theft on the rise due to palladium and platinum.

https://www.iqair.com/us/world-most-polluted-countries

co2-emissions-per-country-chart.jpg

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions
THANK YOU.

And guess which country buys all of those stolen catalytic converters?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah. The U.S is #84 in most polluted countries and #2 in CO2. Yet, nobody is giving China and the rest of the world shit... Here we are having a discussion on why we can't buy a cat-back exhaust and catalytic converter theft on the rise due to palladium and platinum.

https://www.iqair.com/us/world-most-polluted-countries

co2-emissions-per-country-chart.jpg

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/each-countrys-share-co2-emissions

Dude, lead by example. If powerful nations like US and regions like Europe want to do it because the scientists raise red flags like CFC, Ozone, etc.. and public also see this and want a better life for their grandkids and then do whatever is in your power...

China doesn't even care about patents.... You can't expect poverty regions to make the change that US/EMEA are struggling to do or at least spending billons to slow down.... However, it's also easy for them to change. All dictator nations, like the Rocket Man and Winnie the Pooh, if they wanted, they can pretty much shape CO2 in weeks.

Alternative is, "f*** it, let the world burn down" !

I love non-electric cars and this goes against my "wants" from my future vehicles, but I also don't expect everyone to understand the importance of taking actions now.
There is debate and many theories and many unknowns, but almost all scientists believe climate change is real, there is greenhouse gases, ozone was in worst shape now recovering, ice caps melting, etc. etc... and to that point Aftertreatment systems in cars are important...

There are those like Elon, who are almost about to give up on Earth to find other means to sustain life on other planets and there are climate activists on every country that are trying to spread to word for everyone to give 2 f***s.

The "if Lee doesn't have to go to school, then I won't go either" mentality doesn't work if aftermath affects everyone...

The topic of "are electric vehicles really better for earth" is a debate I'm not fully well-versed on because global effects of it is quite complex. It for sure reduces in-city emissions, but you create irreversible chemical reactions with somewhat recyclable batteries (but recycling also takes lots of energy), you have to create energy somehow for them. If not for fossil fuels, then more renewable, more nuclear... each with it's own set of issues. They you have hydrogen which is also another issue.

However polluted China is, they have rolled out this in 2020: " China imposed a mandate on automakers requiring that electric vehicles (EVs) make up 40% of all sales by 2030. "

So, even the most polluter is trying to do something. Maybe for the better world, maybe just for the profit if they capture the global EV market.. In the end result will be the same, less emissions...

Also, to your prior point. I've not looked at all the references of the 376mpg, but having released in 70's, I'm going to venture a guess and say their test criterion wasn't probably what it is today.
it's not standardized is what I immediately see, min 30 mph average. What's the standard?
If I speed up to 30mph and be super gentle with the gas pedal I can manage to increase my 20mpg on Supra to 50...
The cars in the test, Fiat 600 is 127"long, 1,290lb. Supra is 3,500lb 172.5".... I can also assume that petrol may have been richer as it currently goes thru many processes...
Also " Read that again - 376.59 miles per gallon. Per gallon of gasoline. Apparently, as the theory goes, superheating the fuel - essentially vaporizing it before it reaches the engine - produces such results, but only if the engine is kept as hot as possible, thus the gobs of insulation. "
I'm gonna say, it wasn't feasible, that's why it's not industrialized..

Edit: fresh out the oven

Also, as you can see, you can lead the inevitable change and earn billions or play catch-up all the time

Last edited:

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dude, lead by example. If powerful nations like US and regions like Europe want to do it because the scientists raise red flags like CFC, Ozone, etc.. and public also see this and want a better life for their grandkids and then do whatever is in your power...

China doesn't even care about patents.... You can't expect poverty regions to make the change that US/EMEA are struggling to do or at least spending billons to slow down.... However, it's also easy for them to change. All dictator nations, like the Rocket Man and Winnie the Pooh, if they wanted, they can pretty much shape CO2 in weeks.

I love non-electric cars and this goes against my "wants" from my future vehicles, but I also don't expect everyone to understand the importance of taking actions now.
There is debate and many theories and many unknowns, but almost all scientists believe climate change is real, there is greenhouse gases, ozone was in worst shape now recovering, ice caps melting, etc. etc... and to that point Aftertreatment systems in cars are important...

There are those like Elon, who are almost about to give up on Earth to find other means to sustain life on other planets and there are climate activists on every country that are trying to spread to word for everyone to give 2 f***s.

The "if Lee doesn't have to go to school, then I won't go either" mentality doesn't work if aftermath affects everyone...

The topic of "are electric vehicles really better for earth" is a debate I'm not fully well-versed on because global effects of it is quite complex. It for sure reduces in-city emissions, but you create irreversible chemical reactions with somewhat recyclable batteries (but recycling also takes lots of energy), you have to create energy somehow for them. If not for fossil fuels, then more renewable, more nuclear... each with it's own set of issues. They you have hydrogen which is also another issue.

However polluted China is, they have rolled out this in 2020: " China imposed a mandate on automakers requiring that electric vehicles (EVs) make up 40% of all sales by 2030. "

So, even the most polluter is trying to do something. Maybe for the better world, maybe just for the profit if they capture the global EV market.. In the end result will be the same, less emissions...

Also, to your prior point. I've not looked at all the references of the 376mpg, but having released in 70's, I'm going to venture a guess and say their test criterion wasn't probably what it is today.
it's not standardized is what I immediately see, min 30 mph average. What's the standard?
If I speed up to 30mph and be super gentle with the gas pedal I can manage to increase my 20mpg on Supra to 50...
The cars in the test, Fiat 600 is 127"long, 1,290lb. Supra is 3,500lb 172.5".... I can also assume that petrol may have been richer as it currently goes thru many processes...
Also " Read that again - 376.59 miles per gallon. Per gallon of gasoline. Apparently, as the theory goes, superheating the fuel - essentially vaporizing it before it reaches the engine - produces such results, but only if the engine is kept as hot as possible, thus the gobs of insulation. "

Also, as you can see, you can lead the inevitable change and earn billions or play catch-up all the time
No dude, as per rightwing propaganda, we should hold ourselves to the standards of third world countries just to make a few bucks. I'm not that old, and shit I still remember when the US was supposed to be the world leader. Amazing how that changes with the rise of rightwing propaganda "news". Literally nonstop "Waaaaah, but the poor countries are worse". My how the mighty have fallen.

Also, that >300mpg bullshit story is a perfect example of how people will believe anything if it fits the world view that makes them feel safe and cozy. I can't imagine being that gullible, but hey, it's why so many people believe absolutely ridiculous and verifiably false bullshit.

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
From one of my senators:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019 (S. 2602; 116th Congress). Input from fellow Texans significantly informs my decision-making and empowers me to better represent the state.

As you may know, the Obama administration proposed a rule in 2015 that would have enabled the EPA to impose fines on competitive motor sports. While the provision was ultimately removed from the final rule, it is clear Congress never intended to give the EPA the authority to regulate vehicles used solely for competition, including vehicles modified to be used exclusively for racing.

In order to prevent future administrations from pursuing this misguided proposal, Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) and I introduced the RPM Act. Among its provisions, our bill would have prevented the federal government from imposing unnecessary red tape on amateur motorsports enthusiasts who convert personal vehicles into race cars. Specifically, it would clarify the legality of vehicles modified to be used exclusively for racing by exempting them from regulation under the Clean Air Act. It would also prevent the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from creating a vehicle or racing parts registry or database. While unfortunately the RPM Act did not become law during the 116th Congress, please rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues working on this issue in the 117th Congress.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of Texas.

For Liberty,

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Why not support the RPM Act?

It would also prevent the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from creating a vehicle or racing parts registry or database.

Yeah, I’m sure we all want to be on a database for ordering a part from x-ph or MA Performance or Vivid or Verus or the many other places I and you have ordered parts from.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
From one of my senators:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act of 2019 (S. 2602; 116th Congress). Input from fellow Texans significantly informs my decision-making and empowers me to better represent the state.

As you may know, the Obama administration proposed a rule in 2015 that would have enabled the EPA to impose fines on competitive motor sports. While the provision was ultimately removed from the final rule, it is clear Congress never intended to give the EPA the authority to regulate vehicles used solely for competition, including vehicles modified to be used exclusively for racing.

In order to prevent future administrations from pursuing this misguided proposal, Senator Richard Burr (R-NC) and I introduced the RPM Act. Among its provisions, our bill would have prevented the federal government from imposing unnecessary red tape on amateur motorsports enthusiasts who convert personal vehicles into race cars. Specifically, it would clarify the legality of vehicles modified to be used exclusively for racing by exempting them from regulation under the Clean Air Act. It would also prevent the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from creating a vehicle or racing parts registry or database. While unfortunately the RPM Act did not become law during the 116th Congress, please rest assured that I will keep your views in mind as Congress continues working on this issue in the 117th Congress.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of Texas.

For Liberty,
Here is clarification that the EPA offered:

“The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.”

“EPA supports motorsports and its contributions to the American economy and communities all across the country. EPA’s focus is not (nor has it ever been) on vehicles built or used exclusively for racing, but on companies that violate the rules by making and selling products that disable pollution controls on motor vehicles used on public roads. These unlawful defeat devices lead to harmful pollution and adverse health effects. The proposed language was not intended to represent a change in the law or in EPA’s policies or practices towards dedicated competition vehicles. Since our attempt to clarify led to confusion, EPA has decided to eliminate the proposed language from the final rule.”

“EPA will continue to engage with the racing industry and others in its support for racing, while maintaining the Agency’s focus where it has always been: Reducing pollution from the cars and trucks that travel along America’s roadways and through our neighborhoods.”

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Here is clarification that the EPA offered:

“The EPA remains primarily concerned with cases where the tampered vehicle is used on public roads, and more specifically with aftermarket manufacturers who sell devices that defeat emission control systems on vehicles used on public roads.”

Everything hinges on that adverb “primarily,” doesn’t it?

I recommend reading the proposed RPM Act before cutting and pasting meaningless EPA messaging.

Most of us on this forum didn’t buy the Supra “exclusively for racing.” And I gather from your amateurish pictures at a recent car meet that you didn’t either. Most, furthermore, didn’t buy this particular sports car to leave it stock. I’ve left all my P cars stock; the Supra, and look no further than Tada-san’s words, was made for modding—otherwise it holds less appeal.

Last edited:

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S

No dude, as per rightwing propaganda, we should hold ourselves to the standards of third world countries just to make a few bucks. I'm not that old, and shit I still remember when the US was supposed to be the world leader. Amazing how that changes with the rise of rightwing propaganda "news". Literally nonstop "Waaaaah, but the poor countries are worse". My how the mighty have fallen.

Also, that >300mpg bullshit story is a perfect example of how people will believe anything if it fits the world view that makes them feel safe and cozy. I can't imagine being that gullible, but hey, it's why so many people believe absolutely ridiculous and verifiably false bullshit.
Says the 2 members who have gasoline powered cars and/or modified... :rofl:

How is this rightwing propaganda when you have a modified MKV Supra, 2 S2K's and a gas guzzling Ford Raptor. You have zero room to talk, especially if they are modified.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Everything hinges on that adverb “primarily,” doesn’t it?

I recommend reading the proposed RPM Act before cutting and pasting meaningless EPA messaging.

Most of us on this forum didn’t buy the Supra “exclusively for racing.” And I gather from your amateurish pictures at a recent car meet that you didn’t either. Most, furthermore, didn’t buy this particular sports car to leave it stock. I’ve left all my P cars stock; the Supra, and look no further than Tada-san’s words, was made for modding—otherwise it holds less appeal.
It’s hard to call what the EPA has actually said meaningless and the say that the falsehoods in the RPM act should be taken seriously.

No one is proposing you cannot mod your car. That’s one of the biggest myths. That’s not a real thing. Never. That is hyperbole used to lead lemmings to the cliff. I will mod my car, but I will do so within the very broad range allowable under the law.

And what is broken inside of you that you have to take a swipe at photos taken on an iPhone? They were not mean to be publication quality. Just a glimpse of a regional event. I’ve actually received awards from National Geographic amongst other organizations for my photography. My work has appeared in numerous publications. It has paid well. And this is way off topic, but you strangely felt it was important to the dialog.

OP
OP
AustinGRSupra

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
It’s hard to call what the EPA has actually said meaningless and the say that the falsehoods in the RPM act should be taken seriously.

No one is proposing you cannot mod your car. That’s one of the biggest myths. That’s not a real thing. Never. That is hyperbole used to lead lemmings to the cliff. I will mod my car, but I will do so within the very broad range allowable under the law.

And what is broken inside of you that you have to take a swipe at photos taken on an iPhone? They were not mean to be publication quality. Just a glimpse of a regional event. I’ve actually received awards from National Geographic amongst other organizations for my photography. My work has appeared in numerous publications. It has paid well. And this is way off topic, but you strangely felt it was important to the dialog.
Among the laughable lines here, one stands out: “It has paid well.” Hahaha. Priceless.
Sponsored