racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
My car is a premium package bought new (for MSRP!) at the beginning of August from a local dealer. I have put 1200 miles first on street, and only changes are decent engine oil and high temp brake fluid.
8Jl7gp4.jpg

I have done many track days over the years, but not so much recently with only 1 or 2 track days per year for a while now. This car just really begs to be driven on the track, so I decided to sign up for a “Hooked on Driving” event at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) last weekend running in group C (solo advanced).

I struggled to find much info about the car (thanks Jackie Ding for the single most comprehensive place for Supra track info!) so just decided to try the car nearly dead stock and see what works and what doesn’t.

First off, the car is an absolute joy to drive on the track
very well balanced and just fun to drive. Short gearing and great torque makes it easy to find a gear (or two) that suits every turn, and the car is easy to rotate in the slow turns, but surprisingly stable in the higher speed stuff.

In no particular order here are a few observations

-tires wear surprisingly even at VIR, and not the immediate outer tread block destruction I used to get on M3’s without camber plates. Probably mostly due to VIR being easy on tires, but nice for the first track outing nonetheless

-engine oil and coolant stay very close to street levels on the track using the secret menu. I’d see low 100’s C coolant and just a little higher on oil (115-118 C ) on 90 F day. https://www.supramkv.com/threads/unlocking-secret-menu.2025/ This car has some massive coolant radiators (2 big ones and 2 smaller ones) and I love they was the cooling system on this car works to heat up the oil quickly on the street (hot coolant warms up the oil through water to oil heat exchanger) but still keeps temps in check on the track.

- can’t hear the engine at speed, mostly due to wind buffeting with both windows down, so you really have to be aware of what gear you are in
.found myself counting gears in my head like I do in a motorcycle without gear display.

-car pull pretty strong dead stock up to 110 mph or so, then starts to struggle a little once you get into 5th and 6th. Its not bad, but definitely feels properly quick coming out of the slower corners with short gearing and good torque, but doesn’t pull down the long straights with the big dogs. I was seeing high 130's indicated on the back straight and low 130's mph on the front straight but was letting out early to keep brake temps in check.

-car seemed to get about 9-10 mpg on the track, and I didn’t get any fuel starve but never started a session with less than 2/3 tank or so. I tried to keep the tank 2/3 full or more not knowing if these cars will fuel starve, and just watching Jackie Ding’s last video from Road America shows the car *might* have an issue with fuel starve at lower fuel levels.

-brakes
.this is the only part of the car that wasn’t spectacular all weekend. For dead stock and street pads I really can’t complain, but the pedal is immediately long and mushy even before brakes are hot. They would stay pretty consistent with concerted efforts to baby them (letting off 2/3 way down each straight and floating speed into NASCAR (turn 3), South bend (turn 10) and use the hill as much as possible in turn 11 coming into Oak tree. Doing all of this I could run a whole 20-25 min session without overheating the brakes, but the pedal just felt really mushy all weekend. Doing a full lap on Jackie Ding kill mode would immediately put the pads to a temp they started smearing pad material on the rotor, and the pedal would drop to what felt like the floor in the hard braking zones. Not confidence inspiring. Fluid (Motul 600) never boiled so that was good. The good news is that with just a few street miles this week, the pads and rotors are back to feeling and looking about like they did when I bought the car
.rotors are still grooved a bit, but smeared pad material is gone and brakes pedal feel is normal. Doesn’t seem to have suffered any massive pad taper like some of my previous cars.

04KBBWk.jpg

I was kicking myself all weekend for not buying the only track ready brake pads I could find for this platform and installing them before the event https://www.counterspacegarage.com/blog/brakes/brake-pads-for-2020-toyota-supra-gr/, as I am sure that would have gone a long way to allowing me to do some full laps with “normal” breaking.

-I did the first session with the traction control and active handling in reduced intervention (one quick push of VSC button) and found this mode to be pretty unobtrusive if I was smooth. I was somewhat worried this might contribute to rear brake temps once I started getting faster, so ran the rest of the weekend with all nannies off. No issues there, and no strange intervention. You can really feel the M differential working coming out of turn 2 however, which feels a little like TC kicking in while the car struggle for grip accelerating in 3rd and 4th while simultaneously turning right.

-overall I am very pleased with the car, and plan to get back on track with just upgraded brake pads here soon. The Michelin PSS did pretty well for a street tire, and I’ll just wear those out before going with something stickier. The stock suspension felt on the street like it was going to be a letdown on the track (felt like it might be too soft on the track, especially in the rear, and felt like the car would be loose in the high speed stuff) but I was surprised to find the stock suspension quite fun and really flawless on the track with street tires. Need brakes first, then tires, then maybe mild suspension.

BTW, Tundra tows the Supra like a champ, and U-haul trailer works decently well with a few 2x4's to allow splitter to clear the front.
cPagTpU.jpg

What I wish the aftermarket would do at this point is:

1. Make a caliper bracket that allows bolting up a popular 4-6 piston caliper to the stock front rotor that already has tons of pad options to choose from. Stock caliper has weird pad design, and pretty small pads for the size of the caliper, and only seems to share design with M550i which will make it slow for pad companies to offer pads just for this application.

2. Design some sort of anti wind buffeting kit like they make for Porsches
.damn it is brutal. https://soulpp.com/product/blackmill-performance-anti-wind-buffeting-aero-kit/

3. Get some decent wheel and track tire fitments available. I think you could go 275/295 on 18” wheels with proper track tires easy
.maybe bigger with proper offset? Maybe square setup with suspension tuned to match
.295 or 305’s all around would be sweet!

4. Figure out what causes such a mushy brake pedal and fix it. Not sure if it is lines, caliper flex, or something built into the system, but the brakes really feel mushy even on the street. Doesn’t help that my last two cars in just the last year were a 911.1 GT3 and a 18’ NSX, but on the track the brake performance and feel are the only let down at all. Even with the brake “issue” the rest of the car did so well, I am overall very excited to see what this platform has to bring in the future. Luckily brakes are easy to fix/upgrade.
Sponsored

Last edited:

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
Thanks for this fantastic and detailed review on your observations of the Supra and its behavior at VIR. New high temp brake pads are definitely first on the mod list before your next outing (good thing you had the Motul 600 to compensate).

Hopefully we'll see a future solution to the wind buffeting issue as it is looking to be a common problem for those taking their Supra to the track.

trakday

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
1969 Camaro Z/28 Trans Am race car, 2011 E92 M3 GTS, 1997 E36 M3 race car, 2020 GR SUPRA, 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Trail Boss
Great write up and insight from your perspective.
Im still on the fence about picking this car up while obtaining it for MSRP from multiple dealers. That damn wind noise, inside of the car making all sorts of noises (owners complaining on YOUTUBE), potential steering rack issue and so on.
I have been spoiled with my E92 that is street legal and set up heavily for the track. I know that once I track this Supra I will be a tad disappointed because it wont match my M3. Nevertheless we are here to improve our cars and driving abilities right? always upgrading/enhancing!
This Supra will be my daily with occasional trackdays while instructing my students so it will be good enough.
Almost forgot, regarding track wheels in your post, I already spoke to APEXRACEPARTS and they are working on wheels for this new platform. We must be patient for the time being.

Gearbangin

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 175/1500 2007 TRD Edition FJ Cruiser/Lifted/Murdered out 2016 NT 200T F Sport 2019 RCF Anniversary Edition Matte Nebula Gray
I love VIR coming up the back straight flat out over the blind crest. What oil you run.

SupraFiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
5 Supras currently
Were those non camber plated m3s lowered?

Mac struts work ok until you change the ride height

OP
OP
racer01

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I love VIR coming up the back straight flat out over the blind crest. What oil you run.
Redline Euro Series 5w-40. LL04 spec and recommended by Bimmerworld. The factory oil really comes out like water, which is probably fine but I put a hole through the block of a 18' GT350 with 1800 miles on it at VIR last year from a seized main bearing so decided to go a little overkill on oil this time.
VIR is truly a must do track for anyone within driving distance....what a spectacular track.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
I was able to take one of the cars out on one of the test tracks for about 3hrs, and I wasn't a fan of brake feel either once I got some heat into them. Thankfully, we had some upgraded pads on hand (I thought they were in-dev TRD, but my friend said they might be HKS) in one of the other cars and was able to try those and they were noisy as hell but it was much better.

congrats on your car and track experience though!

glennQNYC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Vehicle Showcase
Great feedback OP. Thanks.

OP
OP
racer01

racer01

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
I was able to take one of the cars out on one of the test tracks for about 3hrs, and I wasn't a fan of brake feel either once I got some heat into them. Thankfully, we had some upgraded pads on hand (I thought they were in-dev TRD, but my friend said they might be HKS) in one of the other cars and was able to try those and they were noisy as hell but it was much better.

congrats on your car and track experience though!
That is cool info. Hope TRD or some other companies get in the brake pad game soon. Nothing agains CSG, but just want some more options, and some rear pads available too. Competition is great.
I'd love to get my hands on these but holy crap on the price....currently looking at a dirtbike that is cheaper! https://www.essexparts.com/ap-racing-brake-kits-for-the-toyota-gr-supra
Sponsored