Supra On a Flyer at VIR

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Even with 0W-20 factory oil? ;)
Prove 0-20 is going to destroy your motor if you are simply out driving, getting a sense of the car not at 10/10ths. Do you think its water and will simply evaporate in 5 min. I wont go into this but you could spend a bit of time with an F1 Oil Engineer Im rather good friends with and learn something lol. Synthetic 0W-20 oil is capable of protecting a motor when used aggressively.

BMW and Toyota do not have a large warehouse full of blown/destroyed engines due to 0W-20 oil and associated failures.
Sponsored

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Prove 0-20 is going to destroy your motor if you are simply out driving, getting a sense of the car not at 10/10ths. Do you think its water and will simply evaporate in 5 min. I wont go into this but you could spend a bit of time with an F1 Oil Engineer Im rather good friends with and learn something lol. Synthetic 0W-20 oil is capable of protecting a motor when used aggressively.

BMW and Toyota do not have a large warehouse full of blown/destroyed engines due to 0W-20 oil and associated failures.
I added the smiley face because of what seems to be a prevailing thought among some people that 0W-20 is like water and thus is dangerous. I'm fairly sure that the Car & Driver testers at VIR (Lightning Lap runs) did not change the oil in any of the vehicles they tested.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I added the smiley face because of what seems to be a prevailing thought among some people that 0W-20 is like water and thus is dangerous. I'm fairly sure that the Car & Driver testers at VIR (Lightning Lap runs) did not change the oil in any of the vehicles they tested.
They also don’t own any of those cars.

I would stay in your lane.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
During Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap event, which is an annual track test featuring the fastest vehicles of the year on Virginia International Raceway’s 4.1-mile Grand Course, the magazine evaluates a variety of cars against the clock. While the specific details about the engine oil used during the event are not explicitly mentioned, it’s reasonable to assume that they typically use OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) engine oil provided by the manufacturers.

They also use OEM-equipped tires, so manufacturers that install track-type tires have an advantage over those vehicles that come with street tires. As you know, Supras are not available with track tires.

So, in summation:

During Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap event, the vehicles are tested in their stock, unmodified form. The goal is to evaluate their performance as they come from the factory. Occasionally, dealer accessories may be included, but any performance enhancements needed to replicate the lap times are factored into what they call the Lightning Lap base price. So, no modifications are made to the cars specifically for the event. It’s a true test of their out-of-the-box capabilities on the Virginia International Raceway’s 4.1-mile Grand Course.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
During Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap event, which is an annual track test featuring the fastest vehicles of the year on Virginia International Raceway’s 4.1-mile Grand Course, the magazine evaluates a variety of cars against the clock. While the specific details about the engine oil used during the event are not explicitly mentioned, it’s reasonable to assume that they typically use OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) engine oil provided by the manufacturers.

They also use OEM-equipped tires, so manufacturers that install track-type tires have an advantage over those vehicles that come with street tires. As you know, Supras are not available with track tires.

So, in summation:

During Car and Driver’s Lightning Lap event, the vehicles are tested in their stock, unmodified form. The goal is to evaluate their performance as they come from the factory. Occasionally, dealer accessories may be included, but any performance enhancements needed to replicate the lap times are factored into what they call the Lightning Lap base price12. So, no modifications are made to the cars specifically for the event. It’s a true test of their out-of-the-box capabilities on the Virginia International Raceway’s 4.1-mile Grand Course1.
It constantly amazes me how replies to what you post completely fly over your head. It’s honestly astounding.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It constantly amazes me how replies to what you post completely fly over your head. It’s honestly astounding.
I said that OEM oil is not changed before Lightning Lap runs (before lap times are recorded). I thought that was fairly clear.

It looks like you are insinuating that C&D borrows the tested cars from private owners who may enhance their cars in one way or another.

I don't think that is the case.

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I said that OEM oil is not changed before Lightning Lap runs (before lap times are recorded). I thought that was fairly clear.

It looks like you are insinuating that C&D borrows the tested cars from private owners who may enhance their cars in one way or another.

I don't think that is the case.
Dude. What the fuck? You cannot be serious? You’re a fucking moron.
Sponsored