Supra On a Flyer at VIR

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota

From desc.
"Allen Patten was competing in his first Time Trial event with NASA Mid-Atlantic at Virginia International Raceway when he put down these two fliers. It’s interesting to note is that he’s running on Nankang street tires and stock suspension from the Toyota factory. Allen managed to beat his previous personal best, which he ran on Hoosier A7 slicks, and finished second in TT3 that weekend at VIR."
Sponsored

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
Can you share more details about the setup?

Nankang 200tw
Stock struts
Stock springs?
Tune?

Slinkii

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2018 GT3
Can you share more details about the setup?

Nankang 200tw
Stock struts
Stock springs?
Tune?
Hey there,

This is on 200tw Nankang, stock struts with hks springs and stock tune making 370whp.

It had a verus rear wing only, which I think did a lot more harm than good at this track with how bad the understeer was even turned down to 0 aoa.

I’m still relatively new to driving, I think if you ditch the wing and more driver mod, can get this down closer to 2:00.

Going back soon with the new setup we did over the winter, excited to see what it does.

Jnhalstead

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra
I know that famous Allen guy…

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
Hey there,

This is on 200tw Nankang, stock struts with hks springs and stock tune making 370whp.

It had a verus rear wing only, which I think did a lot more harm than good at this track with how bad the understeer was even turned down to 0 aoa.

I’m still relatively new to driving, I think if you ditch the wing and more driver mod, can get this down closer to 2:00.

Going back soon with the new setup we did over the winter, excited to see what it does.
Great driving! How do you like the hks springs vs stock springs on the track? Any places where you feel the damping is under or overdamped? Do you have any rubbing issues? Did you skip the front splitter at the time due to spring rate?

Slinkii

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2018 GT3
Great driving! How do you like the hks springs vs stock springs on the track? Any places where you feel the damping is under or overdamped? Do you have any rubbing issues? Did you skip the front splitter at the time due to spring rate?
Thanks!

My biggest complaint in stock form is the excessive body roll and I think the springs do a decent job to help with that. The biggest advantage I’d say is being able to run wider wheels. There was definitely some self clearancing that happened on the fender liners but nothing too crazy.

I’ll be honest I’m no where near a suspension expert but I would generally say the biggest issue with the stiffer springs on the stock struts is the lack of rebound stiffness. As the car would roll through the corner, it tended to wallow around a lot, especially when I tried to run slicks. Had to be super precise to get the car to sit down and corner smoothly.

I was just waiting on splitter due to plans to overhaul the aero over the winter anyway. The car has proper aero and suspension now and is a rocket ship! I left the wing on out of pure laziness really and just decided to drive around it last year.

IMG_3518.jpeg

ciccio90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 GR | Macan GTS | RR
Great driving Allen! Impressive speed through the esses as well. Hope to drive VIR one day, looks like an awesome track.

PowerGetter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24' 45th Anni Supra 3.0 6MT, 23' Subaru Ascent
Thanks!

My biggest complaint in stock form is the excessive body roll and I think the springs do a decent job to help with that. The biggest advantage I’d say is being able to run wider wheels. There was definitely some self clearancing that happened on the fender liners but nothing too crazy.

I’ll be honest I’m no where near a suspension expert but I would generally say the biggest issue with the stiffer springs on the stock struts is the lack of rebound stiffness. As the car would roll through the corner, it tended to wallow around a lot, especially when I tried to run slicks. Had to be super precise to get the car to sit down and corner smoothly.

I was just waiting on splitter due to plans to overhaul the aero over the winter anyway. The car has proper aero and suspension now and is a rocket ship! I left the wing on out of pure laziness really and just decided to drive around it last year.

IMG_3518.jpeg

What aero are you running?

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
Proof skill matters and not what mods you can immediately toss on the car. Learn to actually drive in a performance manner first lol! Learn the car stock. Its capable.
Even with 0W-20 factory oil? ;)